What's Your Favourite Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakethesnake559

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

After the Great Australian Beer Spectacular, I got to thinking about brewing a stout...there were so many great one's on show.

Never brewed a stout before, so started the research :chug: .
Brewboys Ace of Spades
4 Pines
StAmbroise Outmeal
Guinness Foreign Extra
Nogne O Imperial

...all delicious!!

Where to from here?...what's your favourite stout?

If I was out I would drink Guinness or 4 Pines, if the 4 Pines is available, but I wouldn't make either of these for myself at home.
My home stout is a sweet stout with equal parts Choc and Roast Barley for colour and sweetness. The rest is typical, Ale Malt ~75% some Crystal for complexity and Wheat or Oats for mouth feel. Mash high 68-70'C and bitter to 25-30 IBU with whatever English hops you have.

Drew

Favourite Australian stout would be red hill imperial stout. The only problem is that it's not available outside of the Peoples Republic of Victoria.

3 of the best ones I've had which I remember at the moment:
Murrays Wild Thing
8 Wired I Stout
Haand Bre***? Costa Rica

Bryggeriet, I think, Pistol. Haven't had that one but all their beers that I've had are pretty great.

De Molen's Rasputin RIS is my favourite stout. Not to be confused with North Coast's Old Rasputin RIS - which is an amazing beer on tap but hardly recognisable (though still nice) in the bottle.

Local favourite would be Murray's Wild Thing (bottle and tap are both excellent).

Not to be confused with North Coast's Old Rasputin RIS - which is an amazing beer on tap but hardly recognisable (though still nice) in the bottle.

Of the few stout's I've tried, NC Old Rasputin is the best stout I've tasted. Would love to find it on tap in a dark, dank corner in winter somewhere.

Favourite Australian stout would be red hill imperial stout. The only problem is that it's not available outside of the Peoples Republic of Victoria.

Yeah, I'm on the Red Hill Imperial now...delicious!!
The bloke at the bottlo gave me some Sinha Stout from Sri Lanka, that's going to be interesting.

Drew - thanks, I'm thinking of keeping the grain bill simple as you mention. What OG do you aim for?

Of the few stout's I've tried, NC Old Rasputin is the best stout I've tasted. Would love to find it on tap in a dark, dank corner in winter somewhere.
You gotta try it. It is almost worth the trip to get it local.

Love the St Ambroise oatmeal stout.
The Sinha isn't too bad.
Drinking a Port Brewing "Old viscosity" at the moment - mmmm.
Old Rasputin pretty good also...

My "House stout" follows the oatmeal stout recipe in "brewing classic styles" but with about %50 extra choc malt and black roasted barley. Mmmmmmmm

That's it Bum, couldn't be bothered looking it up.

Another good one Samuel Smiths Oatmeal stout which prefer to their imperial stout.

My "House stout" follows the oatmeal stout recipe in "brewing classic styles" but with about %50 extra choc malt and black roasted barley. Mmmmmmmm

+1 on the BCS Oatmeal Stout recipe. I reckon you've got it right with the extra choc and roast. I recently put mine in for tasting and received feedback indicating those flavours were on the low side.

Home brew Coopers stout,

Brewmasters stout pack.

With a bit of extra Dex and LDM, Licorish essence

Yum

+1 on the BCS Oatmeal Stout recipe. I reckon you've got it right with the extra choc and roast. I recently put mine in for tasting and received feedback indicating those flavours were on the low side.
My house stout falls halfway between BCS' Dry and the Oatmeal recipes. Waiting for the current batch to carbonate.

Sinha Stout
Coopers Best Extra
Southwark (only had it once, but it was memorable)
Murrays Wild thing
4 Pines

And I cannot leave out the stout/dark ale toucan favourite.

Latest posts

Back