What's Your Favourite Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van Dieman Giblin Stout , limited release and by oath I wish they would make it again. Cascade Export Stout, Moo Brew Seasonal (actually scored a growler of their oak aged release of this last week) and Coopers BES.

Love stouts and porter and the list could be a bit longer but these are the ones I return to when buying.

St Ambroise Oatmeal. I Just got back from Canada, only $12 a six pack over there!! We get robbed here at home

Yes agree the Hatlifter is very drinkable and detect a residual sweetness in there good introduction for non stout drinkers.

Plus 1 for the Grand Ridge Hat Lifter.
I also like a toucan that I made last year (which I think was a BribieG recipe):2 cans of coopers Stout1kg of LDM1 Kg of Dextrose
Nottingham yeast
Made up to 25 liters. Still a headbanger, but nice and smooth.
I added chocolate essence to a few bustles, and it turned into a really nice chocolate stout.
I must try An AG stout, now that I'm a BIAB aficionado.

+1 for Redhill imperial Stout.

Coopers and cascade get a look in. But if I'm on the cheap and want to buy a six pack without having to hand over more than $20 then Abbotsford Invalid Stout is my go to stout of choice. Cheap like megaswill but just good enough to make me think I'm drinking real craft beer.

I had some rad Stouts and nut browns as they called them in Exeter so im trying to replicate them. I did notice they were quiet acrid and very very black. They were brewed by local homebrewers and craftbrewers and the best I got from darts farm and the bridge inn in Topsham, Devon.
After drinking those stouts 4 pines and coopers extra seemed like fizzy boring crap I must admit.

Top 3:
Red Hill Imperial Stout
Mountain Goat Surefoot Stout
BrewBoys Ace of Spades

Sam Smiths imperial Stout.
Youngs Double Choc
Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout
St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Just went to Dan's and grabbed a Youngs double choc stout, a 4 pines stout and a cascade stout because of this thread.

On a site note I discovered they had longnecks of Chimay Blue so I grabbed one for the cellar too :)

Mountain Goat Surefoot
Moo Brew
Green Flash

...but you can't go past everyday Cooper's Export for bang for buck!

Did Mildura Choc Hops get a mention here or not
Just got back from Dan's where I bought 8 bottles of Choc Hops for $1.99 each from the clearance bin. Still in date and hopefully not effected too much by mistreatment. Should be a good night.

Just drinking a sheaf stout now :kooi: , and to be honest I'm always amazed and pretty shocked that it comes from CUB.

I was going to say that I know it's unpopular, because amongst beer hipsters it is, but obviously others agree with me here that it's a great beer.

Coopers is also great, in a Coopers kind of way, and brings back reminiscences of smoking a pack of Winnie Blues (in a good kind of way, of course).

I'm just wishing I had some foresight to have brewed a massive amount of stout during the summer and autumn.

Been reading up on Sheaf Stout, it seems to have a good reputation given its price.

Trouble is I just can't find it ANYWHERE in SA. Which is surprising, given a lot of the reviews of it come from the US.. You can buy it in Colarado but not SA?

Anyone know where I could find it? Not even Dan murphys online store has any.

Youngs double choc and mad brewers stout noir for me. Yet to try some of those mentioned above though.

Finally got around to Murrays Wild Thing...on tap at the Royston last week.
Liquid gold!!!
Had a bit of difficulty getting the parma down afterwards, pretty much a meal in itself :beerbang: .

Back