What's Your Favourite Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local: Mildura ChocHops

Imported: Brewdogs Paradox & Youngs Double Chocolate

Screwy

Southwark, Coopers, Sheaf, and of course, Murray's Wild Thing, which I still have more than a box of, at home.

Still a few Batch 1 Wildy's, and more than half a box of the second batch.

Why has no-one mentioned the other Murray's offerings? IIRC, the Heart of Darkness and the Abyss? Happy to be corrected.

I'm certainly not afraid of the dark!

I missed the BrewDog Tokyo on tap by about 20 minutes the other night at one of the local pubs. Maybe MHB or Muggus will pipe up and tell us what it's like?

Les out

Cut my stout drinking teeth on Guinness; still have fond memories of the Imported Guinness, not so much for the locally made version.
Shawn keeps rolling out massive complex flavoursome Stouts and Imperial Stouts that frankly amaze me, Wild Thing is in truth a thing of beauty, tasted the Abyss on Monday and am looking forward to revisiting those two and the Heart of Darkness on the 19th. If you havent tried Murrays offerings then I suspect you are missing out on some of the best stouts available.
Sadly the Tokyo is not a beer I will be buying again unless someone can assure me that they have the Ethyl Acetate under control, frankly it dominated what should have been a very enjoyable beer.
I was really looking forward to seeing the Tokyo on tap, I was impressed by the Tokyo Black Horizon fusion and was expecting so much from what is a very reputable brewer, I really hope this is just a single keg issue. Bummer.
Mark

Jaywalker from Walking Man is my favourite stout, although it needs to be at least a year old before it starts to get seriously good.

The Abyss from Deschutes is a fantastic stout as is Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island. Alesmiths Speedway stout is also a great find (I purchased a bottle of at Platinum last week).

Both Deschutes and Goose Island list the ingrediants for their beers on their websites for homebrewers so its possible to have a good crack of cloning their beers.

I havent found an Aussie stout that I really love but the Moo Brew stout I had in Melbourne a few weeks back eas petty good.

One of the problems with (imperial) stouts in Australia is that they are taxed too heavily. Why pay $160 for a slab of 16 from Murrays when you can brew ten times as much beer (and sometimes a better beer) for the same price?

Mikkeller Black Hole
Fell in love with this overseas at 7 Euros a pop.

Southwark, Coopers, Sheaf, and of course, Murray's Wild Thing, which I still have more than a box of, at home.

Still a few Batch 1 Wildy's, and more than half a box of the second batch.

Why has no-one mentioned the other Murray's offerings? IIRC, the Heart of Darkness and the Abyss? Happy to be corrected.

I'm certainly not afraid of the dark!

I missed the BrewDog Tokyo on tap by about 20 minutes the other night at one of the local pubs. Maybe MHB or Muggus will pipe up and tell us what it's like?

Les out
What a monster Tokyo is!
Different beast off draft, but yeah as MHB mentioned, solventy to all buggery.

Wild Thing has pretty much set the standard for Imperial Stouts in this country...and is comparable to others across the world.

As far as more accessible/common Stouts go, it's hard to go past Southwark. Had one for the first time in years the other day, and it was like a visit from an old friend. A cracking beer, and i'd say the benchmark for FES's in Australia.
I'd put Coopers BES in a close second behind that.
Whatever happened to Coopers Special Old stout though!? http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/coopers-speci...stout/8220/1/3/. Retired apparently? Damn shame

My fav easy drinking stout; Sierra Nevada Stout

My fav imperial stouts; Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout & North Coast Old Rasputin

BTW, I still have a bottle of the Rare Breed Surefoot Stout from Mountain Goat. Somewhere among the detritus at home

Renaissance Choc Oatmeal Stout, Lobethal Choc Stout, I had Southwark Old Stout the other day from the tap, was fantastic. First time in 4 years the brewery has decided to keg it. I was told by the Wheatsheaf Hotel the beancounters very nearly ended production of it all together. I don't understand why Lion Nathan don't promote the Southwark stout more, considering how good it is. They're sitting on a fantastic beer that they seemingly don't particularly care about.

But for pure carnal satisfaction, its hard to go past a longneck of Coopers BES. Their Special Old Stout was aged 6 months, so I'm considering buying a carton of longies in summer and chucking it in the cellar for next winter.

Talking to the local Coopers Rep a while ago, this year at Warners Bay Beer Festival, Coopers will be offering two year old stout on a hand pump, just one more good reason to be there.
Mark

Coopers BES hard to go past.

Don't mind the Grand Ridge skirt hat lifter either.

Beamish, while I can appreciate more robust interpretations, for me stout has to be dry and sessionable. I don't mind Guinness either

Coopers BES hard to go past.

Don't mind the Grand Ridge skirt hat lifter either.

Yes agree the Hatlifter is very drinkable and detect a residual sweetness in there good introduction for non stout drinkers.

For me, the standard coopers supermarket shelf variety stout has been more popular with myself and others than their "Thomas Coopers Special" and any other kit varieties I've tried from the local brew shop. The plain cheapy always seemed to come in a favourite for some reason.

Renaissance Choc Oatmeal, Brewdog RipTide (or is that a porter?), and 8 wired iStout... I am still new to appreciating darkies.

Did Mildura Choc Hops get a mention here or not

Latest posts

Back