What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two great looking and sounding meals there Airgead.
Cheers
Steve

Fellow gourmands (or should that be gourmandisers?) :lol:

I have an excess of basil.

Not knowing how much success i would have germinating basil i poured the seeds into a tray. Most of them sprouted! After potting out i filled a half wine barrel and with the warm summer and autumn so far they are going crazy.

I've already made a few batches of pesto. Had thai basil chicken, made zucchini and basil soup.

Any other ideas on how to use a huge amount of basil before it dies off? Something that will keep preferably.

Having a partner on a diet is making things more difficult. I could eat thai basil chicken daily.

Fellow gourmands (or should that be gourmandisers?) :lol:

I have an excess of basil.

Not knowing how much success i would have germinating basil i poured the seeds into a tray. Most of them sprouted! After potting out i filled a half wine barrel and with the warm summer and autumn so far they are going crazy.

I've already made a few batches of pesto. Had thai basil chicken, made zucchini and basil soup.

Any other ideas on how to use a huge amount of basil before it dies off? Something that will keep preferably.

Having a partner on a diet is making things more difficult. I could eat thai basil chicken daily.

You could make batches of pesto (without cheese) and freeze it! Then add cheese to it later once thawed!

Have it in salads.

Freeze a bunch of it! Good in Spag bol!

Make a flavoured oil or vinegar

Basil makes a great marinade. Chop a handful of basil in a food processor. Add some lemon juice, salt, olive oil, and garlic. Marinade your chicken or fish in this delicious mixture and allow it to sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Cook over a low heat on the bbq. Great for diet concious.

Make basil bread. If you like to bake your own bread, coarsely chop some basil and knead it into the dough before shaping the loaves. You can also add garlic and olives.

mmmm - Bacon

IMG_0549.JPG

Maple cured & Hickory smoked in the most Ghetto smoker ever built - My Electric cardboard box smoker with added softdrink bottles.

IMG_0547.JPG

What happens to unwary critters when I am cooking for a party

IMG_0540.JPG

Pork belly was Brined o'night, roasted to get crackle then sliced into rashers and coated in Chinese BBQ sauce and whacked on the barbie - Quail were brined and then BBQ'd, glazed with a cumquat marmalade sauce.

mmmm - Bacon

View attachment 36587

Maple cured & Hickory smoked in the most Ghetto smoker ever built - My Electric cardboard box smoker with added softdrink bottles.

View attachment 36588

View attachment 36589

Pork belly was Brined o'night, roasted to get crackle then sliced into rashers and coated in Chinese BBQ sauce and whacked on the barbie - Quail were brined and then BBQ'd, glazed with a cumquat marmalade sauce.

That all looks awesome, the bacon is making me drool at my desk :icon_drool2:

Love the cardboard box smoker.

mmmm - Bacon

View attachment 36587

View attachment 36588

View attachment 36589

Were's the photo's of the quail cooked :icon_drool2: .....

It's good to see this thread picking up again.

Teriyaki porterhouse with wasabi butter tonight... photo tommorow

homemade snags we did on haorofthedogs new electric mincer/stuffer last sat night :

25972_1150564464051_1825824337_304269_7917666_n.jpg

25972_1150564744058_1825824337_304270_1461070_n.jpg

half pork, half beef...all sorts of herbs, garlic, red wine and a few bread crumbs to bind. They turn out a tad dry on the BBQ but we will fix that by making it 70% pork / 30% beef next time or even 80/20. They are bloody good though. Biggups Royceee.

homemade snags we did on haorofthedogs new electric mincer/stuffer last sat night :

25972_1150564464051_1825824337_304269_7917666_n.jpg

25972_1150564744058_1825824337_304270_1461070_n.jpg

half pork, half beef...all sorts of herbs, garlic, red wine and a few bread crumbs to bind. They turn out a tad dry on the BBQ but we will fix that by making it 70% pork / 30% beef next time or even 80/20. They are bloody good though. Biggups Royceee.

show off!

go easy! hahahaha

nah really troys the brains behind our snags/salami's i just sit there and talk shit and get him beers / roll racehorse's when needed.

They look awesome. My home sausage making book turned up the other day and the mincer/stuffer attachment for the kenwood is on order so it won't be long now...

Cheers
Dave

Basil Ice Cream

1 cup packed basil leaves
3/4 cup sugar
2 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
pinch salt
5 large eggs
zest of one lemon

Grind the basil leaves with the sugar and 1 cup of the cream until the leaves are ground as fine as possible. Pour half of the mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining 1 cup of the cream.

Warm the other half of the basil mixture with the milk and salt. While the milk is warming up break up the yolks with a whisk. When the milk start simmering, turn the heat off, and pour it slowly into the yolks whisking to temper them until they thicken into a custard. Strain the yolk custard into the reserved cream-basil mixture, mix well, add the lemon zest and chill completely. Freeze the ice cream base in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Tassie Salmon fillets cooked to perfection with a simple salad and ranch dressing

YUM

salmonfilletandsalad1728x1152.jpg

Got my SS frypan with the big thick copper bottom hot, dropped them in on a little olive oil and strait under the grill. cooked in about 3 min!

Had a cocktail tonight at Cafe Vue with Vodka, Wasabi & Ginger Beer in it - we had it with Vodka marinated Salmon tartar - but I think it would go awesomely with that beautiful looking chunk of salmon Tony.

Nice looking sausages Fents - The weathers cooling down, time to start thinking about Salamis etc... I'm going to try to make a few dried style meats. Pancetta, Bresola, Lardo, Lonzino, Duck Prosciutto....

Were's the photo's of the quail cooked :icon_drool2: .....

It's good to see this thread picking up again.

Teriyaki porterhouse with wasabi butter tonight... photo tommorow

No photo as there was a blackout in my area and had to cook in the dark.... It tasted bloody good!

Steak and Guiness Pie with the defrosted meat in the freezer will be done tommorow!

Our Earth Hour feast - Leg of lamb, butterflied and cooked over the coals (sustainably harvested charcoal actually) -

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

And some easter buns...

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

And finally... a steak. Cooked properly. I went to a steak restaurant for work a few days ago and it was awful. Cheap steak, badly cooked with a sauce that looked like that clag glue I used to use in school. Never go to a restaurant that advertises the weight of the steak on the menu. You are going to get quantity over quality. I went out and bought some sirloins. Cooked them over the coals with a nice brown onion and wine sauce... lovely.

IMG_1346.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back