What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
Thought I may start a bit of a thread to see how many foodies stop to take a happy snap of what they are eating that night if it is really yummy. Today is an afd but no reason for dinner to be a dead loss.

Tonight at the casa del Henno it was plain pan fried fish cooked in nothing but oil and a bit of rock salt. The fish is the humble hussar which is in plague proportions around here but a tasty little red reef fish. We wacked together a home made mornay sauce with loads of parmesan a touch of nutmeg etc, plain old salad on the side and here it is:
hussar.jpg

photo2.jpg

http://gibbosfoodstuffs.blogspot.com/

Spiced Lamb Rump on Mint Yoghurt Sauce with a Chorizo and Quinoa stuffed Tomato

All I can say is that I was pretty chuffed with this little idea of mine, juicy cumin flavoured lamb with the cool mint sauce followed up with the surprisingly tender tomato flesh with savoury chorizo stuffing, the Quinoa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa)which is a super food on its own with numerous nutritional benefits has a light fluffy texture with a nutty flavour and was a perfect accompaniment.

As usual, these are just ideas thrown together on a plate, so I'll run through the bits a pieces and you can use it for your own wacky plans.

For the lamb rump, I trimmed all the suet, even if t meant doing some deep tissue surgery and made a rub of oven toasted cumin seed, coriander seed, black peppercorns and some salt. Grind it into a powder and rub it over the meat, roll the rump and tie it up. Brown in a fry pan on all sides and place in the oven on a baking tray at about 150 (there's some sinew that needs to be broken down) until nice and pink.

For the stuffing, mince one chorizo and add to a pan with a diced shallot, one minced garlic clove, about half a cup of chickpeas (cooked) and half a cup of cooked quinoa (cooked as per packet directions), fry off until chorizo is cooked and all moisture has been absorbed, add pepper to taste and juice of half a lemon. Spoon into gutted tomatoes and place in the oven with the lamb. When you bring the lamb out to rest, fire the oven up to get some colour on the tomatoes.

Mint sauce is the easiest, I put a garlic clove with skin on in the oven with the lamb on the tray, when its coloured and soft, remove it and peel of the skin, chop and place in a bowl with a handful of torn mint leaves, 3 or so tablespoons of natural yoghurt some pepper, and whiz it up with a stick blender. Yum.

So that's it, experiment and have fun. Stuffed anything is sure to impress guests and it makes a great side to serve up on a platter at a BBQ.

Excellent idea Henno.... that fish looks delicious... and nothing wrong with a plain old salad. Beautiful!

Good thread henno......that fish looks great. Gibbo that lamb looks delicious :icon_drool2:
Cheers
Steve

show off!

damn you girl now i want a pastry!

show off!

damn you girl now i want a pastry!

I made the ones above but I must admit I did not make the braid that was Lloydie. And of cause it was a sour dough braid. It had tinned banana (which we got in a Asian store of cause) custard and coconut! We had friends over and it lasted 5 minutes...

I will be lucky to get him baking lately. Its all about beer at the moment which Im happy about! I rather drink beer then eat bread. I rather drink beer then eat. LOL!

Mmmm seafood feast
Picture072-1.jpg

pitty we only do this a Christmas

I made the ones above but I must admit I did not make the braid that was Lloydie. And of cause it was a sour dough braid. It had tinned banana (which we got in a Asian store of cause) custard and coconut! We had friends over and it lasted 5 minutes...

I will be lucky to get him baking lately. Its all about beer at the moment which Im happy about! I rather drink beer then eat bread. I rather drink beer then eat. LOL!
Hmm some ones been plying with Danishes

Mmmm seafood feast
Picture072-1.jpg

pitty we only do this a Christmas

Yum, they look like west oz crays, or southerns.

Here's an eastern in a seafood platter lunch i made myself.

IMG_1028.jpg

Pretty sure the kingy came from this;

kingy.jpg

Nice going Katie,
I think I just put on a kilo looking at that. :p

Im a savory girl myself, happy with a beer in hand. But love baking cakes etc to make other people happy. Monday mornings at work are funny people always coming around to see if I have baked something. And Friday sundowners the guys wondering if I brought in some home brew LOL!

The top one is a pavlova obviously but it has a mascopone cream and balsamic and basil berries over the top... and the bottom is my first ever sponge with lemon curd and cream which turned out a treat.

The top one is a pavlova obviously but it has a mascopone cream and balsamic and basil berries over the top... and the bottom is my first ever sponge with lemon curd and cream which turned out a treat.

Bloody hell Katie, I love my food and I know what I love but it has to be chucked in front of me before I know I love it. How the hell do you come up with balsamic and basil cherries? Also what the hell is lemon curd?

These are the questions that went through my head when I watched accountants and IT guys or whatever they were on Masterchef preparing all their 'signature' dishes.

Do you have a cheffing background or are you googling recipes?

I have never been a fan of the sweet and sour myself but my wife drooled when she saw the pic. Jumped up and down all excited and yelled 'shii take!'

I had marinated bbq quails on a bed of brussel sprouts with a duval for dinner last night - it was so good I couldnt stop to take a picture of it!!

Damn.

Bloody hell Katie, I love my food and I know what I love but it has to be chucked in front of me before I know I love it. How the hell do you come up with balsamic and basil cherries? Also what the hell is lemon curd?

These are the questions that went through my head when I watched accountants and IT guys or whatever they were on Masterchef preparing all their 'signature' dishes.

Do you have a cheffing background or are you googling recipes?

I have never been a fan of the sweet and sour myself but my wife drooled when she saw the pic. Jumped up and down all excited and yelled 'shii take!'

No cheffing background, just lots of cooking books and a love of cooking. Balsamic goes really well with strawberries and basil goes so well with balsamic so why not. It also had lime zest through it. Ive always liked making pavlovas my mum always did. "mine are better then hers now" LOL! Ive mastered the pavlova now they dont collapse its all about the oven temp and the time you cook it. Lemon curd is lemon, sugar , eggs and butter.

Proper sweet and sour is beautiful not the stuff you get in suburban chinese resturants (tho I secretly like that to).

I would be pretty keen to learn some tricks from your wife!

I had marinated bbq quails on a bed of brussel sprouts with a duval for dinner last night - it was so good I couldnt stop to take a picture of it!!

Damn.

Afternoon Brewers

Quick question, How do you prepare brussel sprouts for such dishes? How well should they be cooked?
I have been steaming them for awhile then cut in half season and fry in butter and olive oil briefly. I have no idea but they certainly come up better then how my grand mother used to cook them which I used to think were barely edible.

Gibbo spearing kingfish looks like a hell of a rush, full on! jdonly1's crays there are huge, they almost take up half the table.

I have nothing to add to the thread as this weekend has been junk served to me through my car window.

Latest posts

Back