What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had marinated bbq quails on a bed of brussel sprouts with a duval for dinner last night - it was so good I couldnt stop to take a picture of it!!

Damn.

Photos Paul, you must prove you actually ate said delicious meal. I'm sure you did ya lucky bugger but please bang off a happy snap for me next time. I spose you can go into any old butcher in Melbourne and ask for a couple of quails? Wot you marinate them in or..... was it at a restaurant?

H

Quick question, How do you prepare brussel sprouts for such dishes? How well should they be cooked?
I have been steaming them for awhile then cut in half season and fry in butter and olive oil briefly. I have no idea but they certainly come up better then how my grand mother used to cook them which I used to think were barely edible.
This method sounds great mate. We are regular consumers of the humble brussels here but just tail them and cut a cross into the bottom and steam or microwave them. If you serve any well cooked vegetable with real butter and fresh cracked pepper it will convert the hardest vegie hater. I think everybody's mum or grandmum was guilty of boiling vegies to death. I think over boiling brussels makes them taste like they have been cooked in dirty sock water, no wonder so many kids hate them!

I have nothing to add to the thread as this weekend has been junk served to me through my car window.
Now you have added to this thread you must go forth and cook an unbelievable meal capture it in all it's digital glory. Or at least take a pic of something you made yaself that's yummy.

Jayse..

I love my Brussel sprouts steamed, but not cooked until they are mush, so they still have a bit of rawness to them, them lashings of butter ( not marg ) and plenty of cracked pepper... :icon_drool2:

SWMBO hates them, but I could eat a pot full of them...

Afternoon Brewers

Quick question, How do you prepare brussel sprouts for such dishes? How well should they be cooked?
I have been steaming them for awhile then cut in half season and fry in butter and olive oil briefly. I have no idea but they certainly come up better then how my grand mother used to cook them which I used to think were barely edible.

Gibbo spearing kingfish looks like a hell of a rush, full on! jdonly1's crays there are huge, they almost take up half the table.

I have nothing to add to the thread as this weekend has been junk served to me through my car window.

The best way to have brussel sprout (a little work involved) is pulling them apart, then lightly stir fry them with bacon and stock. Beautiful!

Ma Po Tofu - gee this was so so good! Nice and spicy..

cooking_011.jpg

cooking_012.jpg

cooking_017.ahb.jpg

it looks like mince with the tofu? if so at least there's some meat in the dish.. im still not sold on tofu.

it looks like mince with the tofu? if so at least there's some meat in the dish.. im still not sold on tofu.

Ive changed Lloydie on that one to. Tofu is a fantastic product when cooked properly. Mapo Tofu is a Sichuan dish. Its a combination of tofu, pork mince, spicy chill bean sauce, sichuan peppercorns, more chilli and fermented black beans.

cooking_009.jpg

Here some meat for you city... Ribeye in a peppercorn/mushroom sauce (no cream home made mushroom stock) grilled vegies and salad.

We christened our new bbq the other night. The rib eyes were not great at all. but here you go anyhow..

View attachment 29661

Here some meat for you city... Ribeye in a peppercorn/mushroom sauce (no cream home made mushroom stock) grilled vegies and salad.

We christened our new bbq the other night. The rib eyes were not great at all. but here you go anyhow..

That's more like it.

Tofu really is a crime against humanity. I know you say its ok if its cooked properly but as far as I am concerned there is no proper way to cook tofu.

I'm not much of a rib eye fan. For BBQ you really can't beat a nice thick piece of rump. It's not as fancy but (IMHO) it would have the be the best steak you can put on a BBQ. Its got that little bit of fat running through the meat. Full of flavour. Tender. Moist.

Cheers
Dave

Ive changed Lloydie on that one to. Tofu is a fantastic product when cooked properly. Mapo Tofu is a Sichuan dish. Its a combination of tofu, pork mince, spicy chill bean sauce, sichuan peppercorns, more chilli and fermented black beans.
i could overlook the tofu in that dish. sounds yum.

yeah not a fan of rib eye. its got no fat to make it juicy. a nice rump, scotch, or blade thats had the bejusus pounded out of it, seasonsed and flash fried.

That's more like it.

Tofu really is a crime against humanity. I know you say its ok if its cooked properly but as far as I am concerned there is no proper way to cook tofu.

I'm not much of a rib eye fan. For BBQ you really can't beat a nice thick piece of rump. It's not as fancy but (IMHO) it would have the be the best steak you can put on a BBQ. Its got that little bit of fat running through the meat. Full of flavour. Tender. Moist.

Cheers
Dave

I like sirloins personally, but don't mind rump on a steak sandwich. Just thought we would try the rib eye was not that happy with it, mine had lots of fat but the flavour was good.

It is possible to cook tofu properly I never use it as a meat replacement I use to compliment a meal like the one above, the tofu balances out the heavy chilli and salt of the dish.

Another great dish with tofu is Salt, Pepper And chilli fried tofu YUM! Or tofu puffs in a laksa not a proper laksa with tofu puffs. I'm not overly keen on meat replacement things like the vege sausages etc.

katie

For brussels - cut the bottom stalk off and a couple of the outer leaves will fall off. Make a cut across the base (that you just cut a bit off) and then make another cut across the one you just made except continue the cut cutting the brussel in half. Put your bussels in a glass bowl add a little bit of water put a lid on and micro wave about two minutes. The brussels should be aldente - softish but still have a bit of crunch - nothing worse than a mushy brussel. Once cooked to your liking drain the water and then add some butter and freshly ground pepper. Often if I am cooking steak or pork chops or chicken etc I will throw the cooked brussel (without the butter) into the pan that I have cooked the meat in and fry them for a minute or two tossing them to get a bit of colour and the meat juice flavour into them. I recently did this for my show and the crew said they were the best brussels they had ever had - they had always cooked them till mush!! Nothing wrong with throwing your cooked brussel into a fry pan wit a bit of butter and some cooked diced bacon (and a little bit of chilli too)

Quail had a marinade of garlic, ginger, sichuan pepper, salt, kaffir lime leaf, parsley, basil, red chilli, olive oil and lemon juice all bashed in a mortaar and pestle then rubed into the quail - back bone removed and flatened out - left for a couple of hours before being chucked on the BBQ.

Sorry no photo but you can picture it in your mind. :D

Another great dish with tofu is Salt, Pepper And chilli fried tofu YUM! Or tofu puffs in a laksa not a proper laksa with tofu puffs. I'm not overly keen on meat replacement things like the vege sausages etc.

katie

A few years ago a group of us went out with a recently vegan friend do a Buddhist vegan restaurant. It was 101 ways to serve tofu. I ended up eating two bowls of rice and a paper serviette.

Good tofu is like pleasant recorder music - it doesn't exist (kids learning recorder at school.. sapping my will to live).

cut it out KT. my keyboard is half full of drool.

Nothing else from me today... tonight we are having veal ribs... mmmmm got a feeling we might use some cassia bark and star anise ...

sorry mate i was playing, dont know exactly what cassia bark is...acacia bark however is what you extract to make DMT. (google it otherwise im gonna get in trouble for sneaky highjack's)

Back