What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Airgead,

Where do you get your roo?
My local butcher doesnt have it, but I work in Hornsby. Hopefully you get it somewhere local and you can point me in the right direction.

Gregor.

Gregor

You can get it in Woolworths and Coles!

Looks like the kinda red I like (sweet paprika). My Sri Lankan is more yellow (turmeric)

Here you go Katie and Steve, I'll tell you now I cheated with this one but here goes.
My wife is part Sri Lankan and her Mother is Pure Sri Lankan so we have this type of Curry quite a bit, anyway we have found a small business that blends the powders and makes some pretty Authentic curry blends, here if your interested, the powders are better than the pastes. We both think that the results were as good or better than her Mums. Apparently their products are available through IGA.

50g Ghee
2 medium chopped onions
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cm root ginger chopped
1 tsp salt
1 Kg skinned chicken thighs
1 tin tomatoes
1 tsp chopped lemon grass
300mls coconut milk
2 tbls Sri Lankan Curry Blend
2 x Chopped red or green chillies

Heat Ghee in a deep fry pan add onions ginger and garlic and chillies, fry until onions are soft. Add the curry blend and fry for a minute or two. add lemon grass and salt mix well. Toss in the chicken until well covered then add coconut milk and tomatoes stir and simmer for 45 minutes with a lid on.

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Airgead,

Where do you get your roo?
My local butcher doesnt have it, but I work in Hornsby. Hopefully you get it somewhere local and you can point me in the right direction.

Gregor.

Gregor

Gregor

When I can get my act together I order in bulk from the distributor (5kg boxes minimum order but around $5/kg so well worth it). Otherwise, Asquith Family Butchers (Used to be called Newbolds... on the highway opposite the bowls club) usually has some. Hornsby Coles carries it as well.

Cheers
Dave

You can get it in Woolworths and Coles!

You can but the meat isn't as good as some others. I do buy from safeway on occasion but when I get my shit together I try and go to a large fruit/veg/meat etc market in Melbourne called Victoria Market. One butcher in particular (game butcher that sells everything from muscovy to frog's legs to emu) get beautifully tender roo fillets. I've forgotten their main brand but I'll see if I can find it. I thought it was macro but that's the supermarket supplier. This stuff is nicer. While searching I did find thesze guys: http://www.finefoodwholesalers.com.au/list...GlobalGameMeats. Wholesale but I'm sure they'd let you know where to find their produce.

One good trick to keep roo tender is to cook it with loads of olive oil. Because it's so lean it can dry out easily - medium rare and the presence of some other fats during cooking helps out here. If working with minced roo then bacon is your friend (chopped bacon in your roo mince makes amazing burgers).

You can but the meat isn't as good as some others. I do buy from safeway on occasion but when I get my shit together I try and go to a large fruit/veg/meat etc market in Melbourne called Victoria Market. One butcher in particular (game butcher that sells everything from muscovy to frog's legs to emu) get beautifully tender roo fillets. I've forgotten their main brand but I'll see if I can find it. I thought it was macro but that's the supermarket supplier. This stuff is nicer. While searching I did find thesze guys: http://www.finefoodwholesalers.com.au/list...GlobalGameMeats. Wholesale but I'm sure they'd let you know where to find their produce.

One good trick to keep roo tender is to cook it with loads of olive oil. Because it's so lean it can dry out easily - medium rare and the presence of some other fats during cooking helps out here. If working with minced roo then bacon is your friend (chopped bacon in your roo mince makes amazing burgers).

yeah very true.... but we are talking roo mince here.

Only roo mince I have ever used was from the supermarket and it's definitely a good purchase so fair point.

Gregor

When I can get my act together I order in bulk from the distributor (5kg boxes minimum order but around $5/kg so well worth it). Otherwise, Asquith Family Butchers (Used to be called Newbolds... on the highway opposite the bowls club) usually has some. Hornsby Coles carries it as well.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave

I think I'll try the butcher at Asquith. I prefer not to buy too much (especially meat) from woolworths or coles. I do shop there, but generally only get things like dogfood, gladwrap, mineral water and shit tickets.

As a Kiwi, I havent grown up eating roo, but have had a bit lately at restaurants and love it.

edit: Dave, can you tell me more about the distributor? 5kgs doenst take that much room in the freezer.

Gregor

Here you go Katie and Steve, I'll tell you now I cheated with this one but here goes.
My wife is part Sri Lankan and her Mother is Pure Sri Lankan so we have this type of Curry quite a bit, anyway we have found a small business that blends the powders and makes some pretty Authentic curry blends, here if your interested, the powders are better than the pastes. We both think that the results were as good or better than her Mums. Apparently their products are available through IGA.

50g Ghee
2 medium chopped onions
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cm root ginger chopped
1 tsp salt
1 Kg skinned chicken thighs
1 tin tomatoes
1 tsp chopped lemon grass
300mls coconut milk
2 tbls Sri Lankan Curry Blend
2 x Chopped red or green chillies

Heat Ghee in a deep fry pan add onions ginger and garlic and chillies, fry until onions are soft. Add the curry blend and fry for a minute or two. add lemon grass and salt mix well. Toss in the chicken until well covered then add coconut milk and tomatoes stir and simmer for 45 minutes with a lid on.

Cheers
Andrew

Cheat! :p

Thanks for the link though. Might try a couple of jars.
Cheers
Steve

anyway we have found a small business that blends the powders and makes some pretty Authentic curry blends, here if your interested, the powders are better than the pastes.

Looks like an awesome curry recipe Andrew. I'm salivating. Now we just need some hoppers and chutney. :super:

Cheat!
Thanks for the link though. Might try a couple of jars.
Cheers
Steve

Here is another AWESOME spice blend organisation from down here in Mexico.

www.spicebazaar.com.au

SWMBO is a big foodie and always prefers to make up her own spice blends but these guys are an exception. All of their spice blends are faultless. Very good products.

We love their Ras al Hanout :icon_drool2:

Thanks Dave

I think I'll try the butcher at Asquith. I prefer not to buy too much (especially meat) from woolworths or coles. I do shop there, but generally only get things like dogfood, gladwrap, mineral water and shit tickets.

As a Kiwi, I havent grown up eating roo, but have had a bit lately at restaurants and love it.

edit: Dave, can you tell me more about the distributor? 5kgs doenst take that much room in the freezer.

Gregor

The distributor is Southern Game Meats http://www.sgm.com.au/. You need to order a 5kg box of a single cut as a minimum so if you want a couple of cuts for some variety you start to end up with a lot of roo very quickly unless you have people to share with. All come cryovacced in 500g packets (except for things like the legs which come whole). They will only ship for pallet loads so you need to pick up in person from their warehouse (seven hills).

Cheers
Dave

Hainanese Chicken Rice from lastnight.

Say no more.. :icon_drool2:

DSC_0052.jpg

Hainanese Chicken Rice from lastnight.

Say no more.. :icon_drool2:

Doesn't look like you've cut the chicken properly; shouldn't there be a bone (preferably a small pointy one) in every piece? :ph34r:

Ahh...reliving my days in Malaysia with that one...

Doesn't look like you've cut the chicken properly; shouldn't there be a bone (preferably a small pointy one) in every piece? :ph34r:

Ahh...reliving my days in Malaysia with that one...

usually the breastis removed from the carcass, the thigh(the preferred cut and you pay more for in singapore) is usually still w/ the bone and uber tasty. soo much better than i can make. :icon_drool2: tht will be my bday breakfast when i plan on goin there for my bday.

One good trick to keep roo tender is to cook it with loads of olive oil. Because it's so lean it can dry out easily - medium rare and the presence of some other fats during cooking helps out here.

I've found a good way to cook kangaroo fillets is poaching. Put the fillet in a clipseal bag with thyme, salt, pepper, a splash of port and a small knob of butter. Poach in 70C water for 10 min (which shouldn't be too hard for most homebrewers), then sear the fillet very quickly in a very hot pan. Cooking this way prevents it from drying out.

AndrewQLD, you can get some pretty good curry paste blends from Sri Lanka at some Indian Grocery stores. Brands to look out for are Agro and Larich. I go through jars of the lovely stuff. However one brand of Indian paste to avoid is the Ferns range, nothing in them that you can't make for yourself.

Anyway, can't keep up with these ugly slimy delicious things, they've gone stupid during the rain. The current batch are nearly 2 metres tall and I have to stand on a box to pick them. More plants coming on as well. I can feel some Bindhi in Sri Lankan coconut sauce coming on :icon_cheers:

Okra__Large_.jpg

AndrewQLD, you can get some pretty good curry paste blends from Sri Lanka at some Indian Grocery stores. Brands to look out for are Agro and Larich. I go through jars of the lovely stuff. However one brand of Indian paste to avoid is the Ferns range, nothing in them that you can't make for yourself.

Anyway, can't keep up with these ugly slimy delicious things, they've gone stupid during the rain. The current batch are nearly 2 metres tall and I have to stand on a box to pick them. More plants coming on as well. I can feel some Bindhi in Sri Lankan coconut sauce coming on :icon_cheers:

View attachment 36084

This is beautiful along side a curry

Bhindi Kichadi (southern indian)

200g okra
5T oil
200g plain yogurt
1/2 t mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
salt

for the spice paste:
100g freshly grated or desiccated coconut
1 green chilli
1 clove garlic
1tsp mustard powder

Cut the okra into 1cm pieces and set aside. Place the ingredients for the spice paste into a grinder then process them for 1 minute or until roughly ground. Set aside.

Heat the oil in large frying pan and fry the okra until brown. Remove the okra from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.

Place the yogurt in a mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Add the cooked okra, spice paste a little salt and mix well.

Reheat the oil remaining in the pan. Add the mustard seeds and as they begin to pop add the curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute then pour the mixture over the okra. Stir well and serve at room temperature.

BEAUTIFUL

Back