What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have been chicken week last week. I did roast chook too. Not beercan though and not on the BBQ. Just in the oven with a lemon & pepper rub (peppercorns, lemon zest, salt and olive oil). With a big batch of roasted veg

IMG_1811.jpg

And some roasted beetroot done with orange zest.

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

And the missus made apple pie for dessert. Yum

IMG_1815.jpg

Another of the missus' desserts - apple brown betty. A mix of grated apple& breadcrumbs with a syrup of treacle and lemon poured over than baked and served with heavy cream...

IMG_1810.jpg

And finally last night I did gncocci with a sauce of kangaroo, zucchini, tomato paste, home made pesto and a dash of cream.

IMG_1816.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Not a family one by any means, just popular in the family :)
I regret not getting my grandmother to write down some of her recipes, but that's another story...

Here's the recipe.

We used what my family always referred to as a kugelhopf tin but it appears that is a type whereas bundt is the pan style... A ringed tin like this...

We don't bother with the rum butter any more, just dust with icing sugar.

So far I've only tried really light lagers and dark beers, a dunkelweizen and a dunkel, in this.
Hard to say which is best. This is a really tasty cake whichever way you go...

GERMAN BEER COFFEE CAKE

3 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 c. beer
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients; set aside. Combine dates and nuts, stir in small amount of flour mixture and set aside. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar, add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition, alternating flour mixture with beer. Stir in dates and nuts. Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake in 350 degree oven 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tests done. Cool 10 minutes on rack and then turn out to cool. Wrap cake in foil 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve Rum Butter Frosting on side.

RUM BUTTER FROSTING: Whip 1/2 cup softened butter and 2 tablespoons rum until fluffy. Serves 18.

I used Trappistes Rocheforte 10 in my fruitcake and it was really fantastic!

Recipe looks good, quite a different process to mine.

I used Trappistes Rocheforte 10 in my fruitcake and it was really fantastic!

Recipe looks good, quite a different process to mine.
Woah! That would be bloody nice, but not exactly the cheapest ingredient for a cake.
Do you end up with any left to drink afterwards?

Schooey Ive started cooking Pavlovas again and I have a different oven Ive experiemented a little and I just cant get them back to how I used to make them. Maybe Im trying to hard. How many eggs do you use? and what temps do you cook in... ?

Airgead roasted beetroot and I know they came from your garden I really wish I had time to cook like you do!

Anyhow this is what I made last night... I breaking my own rule no photo...

This is my favorite Vietnamese dish...

Com Tam Suon Bi Cha.

(Vietnamese Broken rice with pork chops shredded pork skin and pork egg custard)

in a resturant its served with a broth on the side also I skipped on that.

Airgead roasted beetroot and I know they came from your garden I really wish I had time to cook like you do!

Actually they didn't. The horrible rainy winter rotted most of my vegies. Poor drainage. I can sense some raised beds in my future.

It didn't take that long. The whole thing only took an hour and a half. Most of that was just sitting down waiting for the oven to do its thang.

Cheers
Dave

last night I cooked for some friends. Something I used to do a lot and haven't done for a while.

unfortunately no photos.

I did a simple blue cheese and walnut cream sauce with gnocchi for starters

and I used the masterchef recipe to make beef wellington. WOW, it was the best I have ever done. The crepes made all the difference.

A mate came around for dinner the other night, I hadnt seen him for a year so I made my Red Pork and Pumpkin Curry and we had a couple of beers. I forgot to take a picture of the curry but I took a picture of the beers we had with it the morning after.

beer_bottles.JPG

A mate came around for dinner the other night, I hadnt seen him for a year so I made my Red Pork and Pumpkin Curry and we had a couple of beers. I forgot to take a picture of the curry but I took a picture of the beers we had with it the morning after.

You treat your guests very well Mercs, sounds like a great night.

Andrew

You treat your guests very well Mercs, sounds like a great night.

Andrew

I want to see the photo of the red pork pumpkin curry. did you put the peach beer in? Ive never cooked with pork neck before. I like the idea of the pumpkin being slowed cooked and melding into a sauce. Red Curry and Pumpkin are a match and that sounds so good.

I want to see the photo of the red pork pumpkin curry. did you put the peach beer in? Ive never cooked with pork neck before. I like the idea of the pumpkin being slowed cooked and melding into a sauce. Red Curry and Pumpkin are a match and that sounds so good.

Pumpkin and thai curry is gorgeous, will be making a lamb and pumpkin massaman curry this week.

Recipe and photo here Recipe This was on the Yarra Valley episode that was replayed up here a couple of weeks ago.

No I didnt use my Peach Ale in the recipe as I dont have any - instead I used a bottle of Duvel which was fantastic! I used Red Angus on the show as that is brewed by De Bortoli and as I was cooking at their place I thought I would use their beer. Also I cooked it on 160 fan forced the other night I dont know why I did it at 170ff at the resturant?

It is a really lovely dish and is going in my beer cook book - which I delivered to the publisher today!

No I didnt use my Peach Ale in the recipe as I dont have any - instead I used a bottle of Duvel which was fantastic! I used Red Angus on the show as that is brewed by De Bortoli and as I was cooking at their place I thought I would use their beer. Also I cooked it on 160 fan forced the other night I dont know why I did it at 170ff at the resturant?

It is a really lovely dish and is going in my beer cook book - which I delivered to the publisher today!

Good luck with the book.. Ill look out for it.

Though that pork dish is on my list!

The book is due out Fathers Day next year which means hitting the shelves July I guess..... way too long to wait but the usual lead time from contracts and agreements to books hitting the shelf is 18 months - for cook books any way.

Just typed out a long winded recipe for chicken sage and mushroom pie and the internet ate it.

Was nice.

copy before send! I am paranoid as I have 87 recipes for my book on two computers and three usb stick - oh $&@( my other book isnt backed up!

Tonight the wife cooked and it was great - herb crumbed veal, roasted garlic, potatoes and vegies with a hot fruit chutney - sometimes the simple stuff is the greatest! no pictures just a happy bloke!

photo.jpg

Pavlova with Balsamic, Basil, Black Pepper Strawberries....

Just reviving this thread....

View attachment 40364

Pavlova with Balsamic, Basil, Black Pepper Strawberries....

Just reviving this thread....

I dunno... where it comes to pav I'm a traditionalist - Strawberry.. passion-fruit and if you are feeling a bit posh some kiwifruit. I'm not sure about these new-fangled toppings.

You'll just have to send me a slice so I can make up my mind... B)

I've done my usual trick.. heaps of food photos on the camera that I haven't managed to post yet.

Cheers
Dave

I've done my usual trick.. heaps of food photos on the camera that I haven't managed to post yet.

Ha! My recent trip to Hong Kong, 1/2 of the photos are food based. when i get around to cleaning them up in lightroom ill post a few. Turns out the days i couldnt be arsed taking my camera we ended up eating the most amazing food.

Such is life!

Back