What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks sensational manticle! :icon_drool2:

SWMBO has gone away for two weeks, so I decided to cook up a bit of a French meal for her as a going away present.

Entree: Cold avocado soup with sturgeon roe

img_4358f.jpg

Main: Confit of duck legs, served on a bed of baby asparagus & roasted sweet peppers with goose fat roasted potato, drizzled with an Orange Liqueur sauce. Paired with an aged Barossa Valley Shiraz.

img_4364f.jpg

Dessert: Saffron Poached & Roasted Pears served with a cinnamon and lemon creme caramel sauce. Paired with a sticky white. (This was a bit of sweetness overload for my palate)

img_4376f.jpg

After: Selection (of two) stinky French cheeses (a blue and a runny brie) Paired with a Cab Sav.

img_4380f.jpg

Now that ive got the house to myself, it's going to be hamburgers, stout and a zombie movie tonight :lol:

That looks sensational manticle! :icon_drool2:

SWMBO has gone away for two weeks, so I decided to cook up a bit of a French meal for her as a going away present.

Entree: Cold avocado soup with sturgeon roe

View attachment 40490

Main: Confit of duck legs, served on a bed of baby asparagus & roasted sweet peppers with goose fat roasted potato, drizzled with an Orange Liqueur sauce. Paired with an aged Barossa Valley Shiraz.

View attachment 40491

Dessert: Saffron Poached & Roasted Pears served with a cinnamon and lemon creme caramel sauce. Paired with a sticky white. (This was a bit of sweetness overload for my palate)

View attachment 40492

After: Selection (of two) stinky French cheeses (a blue and a runny brie) Paired with a Cab Sav.

View attachment 40493

Now that ive got the house to myself, it's going to be hamburgers, stout and a zombie movie tonight :lol:

Come on we just gone Henno back and then you post that... WOW looks fantastic.

Not a fan of avocado but the duck, potatoes and pears look and sound fanntastic. I love slow cooking potatoes in butter so the addition of the goose fat would be splendid. Nice selection of wine too.

Noice bet you did not make the Pappadum :ph34r:

LOL yeah wouldnt even know where to start there. I did fry it though.

Never taking photos of my food again.

Just out of the oven after 4-5 hours at 120 degrees

slowcookedlambpotsmall.jpg

Bones cleaned using just a pair of tongs and very little effort

slowcookedlambbonessmall.jpg

Halal lamb leg marinated with garlic, lemon zest, kofte bahari, dolme bahari, toasted crushed cumin seed, fenugreek, cardamom, fresh chilli, olive oil and black pepper. Spices dry toasted, olive oil added, rest of marinade ingredients briefly cooked and cooled then rubbed on lamb leg (including under skin). Sealed in a pan then chucked, covered in the oven for 1-2 hours. Fresh and tinned tomatoes added, cooked for further hour then diced carrots and coriander roots added. Touch of red wine and some of the beer I was drinking (vaguely english ale, low hops)

Cooked at least 2 more hours then spinach, fresh tomatoes (diced), diced red capsicum, coriander, mint and parsley chucked in, heat turned off, cover on. Yoghurt contained lemon zest, lemon juice, toasted cumin, mint, raw garlic and chilli (chopped very fine), salt and pepper. Served with rice cooked in homemade chicken stock and red wine. I always fry my rice off raw first in oil - this is normally used for risotto rice to stop the rice going gluggy but works beautifully for any other rice - including fried rice (seems obvious). Stock is hot before I add it to the rice.

On the plate ready for eating:

slowcookedlambsmall.jpg

Was there a photo there cause I cant see it??? Im not being the photo police either just you said you did and I cant see it or am I nuts.

You have to admit tho the Avocado soup does look yummy Ive always wondered what that would be like.

I haven't been on this thread for so long due to general embarassment caused by the incredible yummy goodness that is bordering on masterchef food snobbery! No baggettes here and I am still to be told what a bloody jus is! I am still plodding away with my simple farm food lifestyle trying to use the freshest ingredients I can get.

The latest thing I have built is the ugly drum smoker which I felt naive for not knowing about. Thanks Screwy. I had a weber lying around that provided some of the important bits. Today it fired it's first shot in anger. 4 turkey legs and 2 whole chooks that had been in brine for nearly 2 days. A couple of pork ribs that had been done in a shop marinade that I had tweaked with a bit of liquid smoke.

The brine recipe is interesting for the 'crab and shrimp boil' I got from www.usafoods.com.au . It gives it a nice creole sting. Well worth the effort of acquiring. Here's the brine recipe for those interested:

7.5L water
2 Cups Kosher Salt
3 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Zatarains Liquid Crab Boil
4 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Dried Rosemary
1 TBS Thyme
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup White Wine (not Cooking Wine)
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

View attachment 40470
View attachment 40471

We want to see food you enjoy cooking! that is what I think this thread is about!

Beery birthday meal one day early on account of how tomorrow I will be judging QABC all day :)

My wife knocked up a beer and beef pie. Wagyu beef, Eagle Heights 9 Bullets Strong Dark Ale. Dinner part is normally my department but no complaints here :)
bdaypie.jpg

And for tomorrow, so the kids can sing :), beer and peanut butter chocolate cake. I don't even try deserts anymore. I can, but why bother when Shell is the queen of baking in the house...
bdaycake.jpg

LOL yeah wouldnt even know where to start there. I did fry it though.

Was there a photo there cause I cant see it??? Im not being the photo police either just you said you did and I cant see it or am I nuts.

You have to admit tho the Avocado soup does look yummy Ive always wondered what that would be like.

Avocado looks great - just I know the flavour wouldn't be my friend (although I do like guacamole when I make it so in the hands of the right person - maybe).

Strange about the photos - even you quoting them shows me the photos again. Definitely there - browser issue? or temporary photobucket issue?

Beery birthday meal one day early on account of how tomorrow I will be judging QABC all day :)

My wife knocked up a beer and beef pie. Wagyu beef, Eagle Heights 9 Bullets Strong Dark Ale. Dinner part is normally my department but no complaints here :)
View attachment 40692

And for tomorrow, so the kids can sing :) , beer and peanut butter chocolate cake. I don't even try deserts anymore. I can, but why bother when Shell is the queen of baking in the house...
View attachment 40691

What sort of beer did she use?

Boy have I been slack with the photos lately...

A chicken, pumpkin & rice thing -

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Sirloin steak with a grainy mustard sauce and sweet potato mash on the side.

IMG_1858.jpg

Roo with baked potatoes and an onion and muscat sauce

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

More roo with boiled new potatoes (coated with olive oil and salt) serverd with a red wine and blackberry sauce. Plus a garlic and onion flatbread I made

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

This was a masterpiece that deserverd a post of its own...

Lamb shanks

Brown shanks -

IMG_1834.jpg

Brown some onion

IMG_1835.jpg

Add to baking dish

IMG_1836.jpg

Loads of paprika (some smoked paprika)

IMG_1837.jpg

Tomato and red wine

IMG_1838.jpg

Chick peas

IMG_1839.jpg

Cover with foil

IMG_1841.jpg

Several hours of slow cooking later, throw in some zucchini and finish off in the oven

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

Serve

IMG_1845.jpg

Dessert was a quince & pecan tart made with some quinces the missus preserved earlier in the year

IMG_1846.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Simple pleasures.
BBQ fish and chips.
Fish will have been snapper or barramundi, a small fillet from the fisho at the markets anyway...
Rough cut chips from chat potatoes, oiled and salted.
Pumpkin slice from a volunteer pumpkin.
Corn BBQd in the husk.
Little Creatures Pale...
bbqfish.jpg

Now that the weather is warming up I'm switching into summer mode.

Chicken and slivers of white beetroot marinated in soy, ginger and honey then stir fried and tossed through a warm soba noodle and beetroot green salad. Add a dressing of soy, mirin, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Yum.

IMG_1892.jpg

Edit: lets at least try to spell things correctly.

Not an attractive or vaguely in focus photo but i finally summoned the courage to make a peposa (Tuscan Hunters stew) based on one by Jamie Oliver.

Stupidly simple to make, no precooking of anything, just dump it all in the pot and bring it to the boil then put it in an oven at 140C for 8 hours.

1kg rump steak cut into large chunks.
10 garlic cloves, whole
2 and a bit heaped tbsp cracked black pepper
a few sprigs rosemary
a few bay leaves
1 bottle homemade sangiovese

Sounds over the top but its not hot. Traditionally served on bruschetta so i put it on a piece of toast. Remembered halfway through to take a pic. The steak has disintegrated. Wow!

peposa.jpg

With the recent cold, wet weather mushrooms have reappeared.

Partner's old man sent me an sms telling me to swing by on my way home from work to grab some mushrooms.

He even picked them for me!

mushrooms.jpg

These are going into a mushroom lasagne now i have successfully made my first batch of pasta.

With the recent cold, wet weather mushrooms have reappeared.

Partner's old man sent me an sms telling me to swing by on my way home from work to grab some mushrooms.

He even picked them for me!

Yum

I've never been game to pick wild mushrooms. I figure I'd wind up stoned or dead. One of these days I'll have to learn which ones are good.

Yum

I've never been game to pick wild mushrooms. I figure I'd wind up stoned or dead. One of these days I'll have to learn which ones are good.

Field mushrooms are easy (relatively). They look and smell exactly like the big flat mushrooms you buy in a shop. When you cut the stem if it goes yellow its bad, if it doesn't change colour its good.

Even if you do eat some of the so called 'yellow stainer' mushrooms the majority of the population only experienced slight stomach cramps although a few suffer a lot of pain and nausea. I've eaten them a few times before i worked out the difference between them and a normal field mushroom. Stomash felt a bit dodgy but no more than after eating a phal <_<

Yellow stainers have pink gills although they do turn dark as they get age. The field mushrooms have quite dark gills almost straight away.

Our local Homebrewer's Guild had a very decent hoedown on Saturday night, sharing Pork Hocks, pretzls and potato bread turned out of the WFO, 3 types of excellent homemade wurst done over the coals, and some outstanding fermented sauerkraut.

14.jpg

13-1.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Prost!!!

Beer battered Whiting fillets.

Batter was plain flour, some cornflour and weizen strait from the tap

pre flour the fillets, dip, shake, fry.

Easy

Beer_Battered_Fish__1248_x_832_.jpg

Latest posts

Back