What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our local Homebrewer's Guild had a very decent hoedown on Saturday night, sharing Pork Hocks, pretzls and potato bread turned out of the WFO, 3 types of excellent homemade wurst done over the coals, and some outstanding fermented sauerkraut.

14.jpg

13-1.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Prost!!!

Fantastic, a HB Guild in Weipa :beerbang: If you guys are ever in Cairns then make some time for a brew with the DAG's (Daintree All Grain) in Port Douglas.

Cheers.

I got an ice cream machine a fortnight ago and ive been playing with a few recipe ideas. The first beer ice cream was the first ice cream made.

A simple rich chocolate (custard base ice cream) with van houten dutch cocoa, 1/2 block of 85% lindt and topped off with a chocolate stout swirl. This sauce had the base liquid replaced with guinness (instead of water). I ended up making double the vol of sauce/fudge as required. Its great to smother over anything sweet. :icon_drool2:

Cheers!

guinnessicecream.JPG

What ice cream maker did you get 4*, I've been thinking about getting one.

Been a bit quiet here so I'll try to get things moving again with some random shots of dinners I have prepared over the last month or so and forgotten to post -

Potato, Beetroot & Zucchini salad
IMG_1898.jpg

Some Cattleman's Cutlets roasting over the coals.
IMG_1899.jpg

A really nice chicken & beetroot greens filo wrap thing
IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1902.jpg IMG_1903.jpg

Far Bretton - prunes soaked in rum then baked in a custard
IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1905.jpg

Steamed fish with jasmine rice, wilted asian greens and a ginger/soy/sesame oil sauce
IMG_1910.jpg

Ravioli
IMG_1907.jpg

Beef ribs after 4 hours on the smoker
IMG_1911.jpg

Zucchini & mushroom salad.
IMG_1912.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
Honey and mustard glazed turkey... smoked for 5 hours. Will be served cold tomorrow.

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Smells fantastic.

I went to uni with a Vietnamese guy called Thanh.. often I would study at his place and he at mine, common projects being the bain of the engineering student... anyway, at any time of the day or night his family would have a pot of Phở going and I used to love it. Being a broth based soup, and me being from the west, I used to think bang a bit of stock in from a packet, add a bit of meat and noodles and off you go. Little did I know.... I reckon his mum nearly even laughed in Vietnamese when I told her how I thought I'd make it.

So for weeks I've had a hankering for a big bowl of beef phở so yesterday I went and grabbed the bits and pieces from the Asian grocer and the butcher to build it...

First the spice gets a run in the pan...

pho1.jpg

Ginger and onions to go under the grill for a char to sweeten them up and help release their good oils

pho2.jpg

Everything for the broth in the pot ready to go

pho3.jpg

About two hours into the stock reduction

pho4.jpg

Thinly sliced beef fillet ready for the hot broth

pho5.jpg

The final result

pho6.jpg

...and it was fkn awesome, just like I remember it!

Looks awesome Schooey.
Only ever tried it a couple of times, but i'm a big fan of Vietnamese food and cooking...especially religiously watching Luke Nguyen cooking shows. :wub:

Yeah I don't mind Luke Nguyen, he tends to stay true to his roots... I hope his little fat noodle venture into star city and the tv series don't go to his head though. Also a bit of a fan of Kylie Kwong too; she's from a similar vein...

I should be honest too, part of the motivation of cooking this was seeing the tail end of a woman cooking it on SBS adding to the pangs that I'd already had, Interesting thing she did though was add some dried sand worms. I'm gonna have to make a trip to Cabramatta or Strathfield to find them, but I'd be keen to see the difference..

Forgot to take pics. Maybe tomorrow. Lemon risotto. Shallots celery, lots of stock, rosemary, lots of parmesan, eggs yolks, double creme, olive oil and butter (of course) and lots of home grown lemon juice and zest. Glorious comfort food. Mind u cooking 900g of aborio for risotto in this heat/humidity sucks arse.

I have been making lots of stock and freezing it..essential ingrediants for veitnamees and asian

fishframes for about $2.50kg

chicken carcasses are cheap as chipps

beef bones are also cheap

Yep, duke, and once you learn how to make a good stock/consomme, you just can't go back to using packet shite... it's like pizza sauce and craft beer

Most stocks apart from beef stock/jus or brown type reduced stocks are ridiculously easy to make. Every time I cook prawns, I make a simple stock from the shells and heads and freeze it. Any chicken bones that don't get cooked get the same treatment.

For extra gelatinous goodness in any brown based jus, throw in a couple of veal and/or lamb shanks with your roasting bones.

Yep, duke, and once you learn how to make a good stock/consomme, you just can't go back to using packet shite... it's like pizza sauce and craft beer

What where those spices that you had in the pan for that broth..

I do the same with prawns as well..

For my stocks, I do them with things like lemon grass, ginger, onion, star anniese, lime leaves....basically whatever I have ...

Gives that little bit extra to soups..

I also chill my stock after straining, and gently pour it off, leaving the break material in the pot.... just like AG Beer.. :D

What where those spices that you had in the pan for that broth..

I do the same with prawns as well..

For my stocks, I do them with things like lemon grass, ginger, onion, star anniese, lime leaves....basically whatever I have ...

Gives that little bit extra to soups..

I also chill my stock after straining, and gently pour it off, leaving the break material in the pot.... just like AG Beer.. :D

That particular spice mix I only use in broth for Phở... It's a Tbs each of coriander and fennel seeds, 4 star anise, a cinnamon quill, a couple of cardamom pods and half a dozen whole cloves.

:icon_drool2: mmm I'll have to remember that recipe when I goto uni, looks good.

Doing my bit for Invasion day by having a roo burger. No photos - kind of looks like a burger anyway so you can imagine. The main secret to a good roo burger is bacon so the meat doesn't dry out. I make variations of this recipe all the time and you can make up a good amount of mince and make roo balls or even pie filling with leftover.

The base mince can have toasted dry spices added too - I often make the same but with toasted cummin, fennel seed and mint and serve with homemade yoghurt sauce. Versatile.

Today's version was: Roo mince
bacon
fresh continental parsley (garden)
Oregano (garden)
Garlic (a friend's garden)
fresh chilli
salt and pepper.

Roll (I just used a soft supermarket burger bun but you could make your own. Soft burger type rolls are good for burgers - focaccia, turkish bread, ciabatta etc are best left for something else).
Tomato
Lettuce (garden)
Chilli sauce (nice middle eastern one called Rana Hot sauce)

Dice bacon, chop herbs, garlic and chilli. Heat oil in pan, fry off until bacon starts to crisp. Allow to cool and add to bowl, including the oil and fat released from the bacon. Mix in roo mince using your hands until all ingedients are combined. Get a good size piece (fistful) roll into a ball and flatten gently. Heat oil in pan, fry burger 2 minutes each side and let rest a couple more minutes. Add favourite toppings - mine was a bacon, tomato and lettuce burger but cheese, onion, beetroot, egg etc would all work great.

Washed down with my version of Andrew QLD's coopers pale clone.

Doing my bit for Invasion day by having a roo burger. No photos - kind of looks like a burger anyway so you can imagine. The main secret to a good roo burger is bacon so the meat doesn't dry out. I make variations of this recipe all the time and you can make up a good amount of mince and make roo balls or even pie filling with leftover.

The base mince can have toasted dry spices added too - I often make the same but with toasted cummin, fennel seed and mint and serve with homemade yoghurt sauce. Versatile.

Today's version was: Roo mince
bacon
fresh continental parsley (garden)
Oregano (garden)
Garlic (a friend's garden)
fresh chilli
salt and pepper.

Roll (I just used a soft supermarket burger bun but you could make your own. Soft burger type rolls are good for burgers - focaccia, turkish bread, ciabatta etc are best left for something else).
Tomato
Lettuce (garden)
Chilli sauce (nice middle eastern one called Rana Hot sauce)

Dice bacon, chop herbs, garlic and chilli. Heat oil in pan, fry off until bacon starts to crisp. Allow to cool and add to bowl, including the oil and fat released from the bacon. Mix in roo mince using your hands until all ingedients are combined. Get a good size piece (fistful) roll into a ball and flatten gently. Heat oil in pan, fry burger 2 minutes each side and let rest a couple more minutes. Add favourite toppings - mine was a bacon, tomato and lettuce burger but cheese, onion, beetroot, egg etc would all work great.

Washed down with my version of Andrew QLD's coopers pale clone.

Manticle you could have tried that little bit harder for your friends and country and done a wattle seed, tassy pepper berry emu burger as well! Would have had the whole thing covered! :D

Back