What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PIzza111.JPG

Made my first dough in quite some time... Worked well.

On the weekend my wife made an awesome lamb stew/casserole using a 750ml bottle of some Coopers English Bitter that I bottled a year ago. Yuuum! There is still plenty in the fridge too. Great warming meal on a cold wintery day like today.

Crap photo - great dish
slow braised leg of lamb in adobo sauce

Mexican Adobo?

Ive been inspired to start cooking some traditional Mexican recipes (not tex-mex) for some time now and have always been stuck for finding decent cookbooks/resources. After a fair bit of research Ive decided upon and ordered a couple of Rick Bayless books, Mexican Everyday and Authentic Mexican. If they are everything they are cracked up to be, I'll be sure to get my hands on his Mexican Fiesta book which is supposedly ordered out like Neil Perrys balance and haromny with simple Mexican banquets through to difficult ones .

I cant wait for some summer fiestas and blowing half of my pay packet at Casa Iberica every fortnight! I can see I'll be making my own white corn tortillas and growing tomatillos in no time. ;)

homemade slow stewed beef pies with mashed potato and polenta tops. I only mucked about with making 4 nice looking ones. the rest are a lot more 'rustic'. plus these are onyl normal muffin size, the others i made were 'tex muffin' size ie big buggers.
IMG_0528.jpg

:icon_drool2:

edit: ignore the naff woodern cutlery, I was taking a proper picture for a blog

Mexican Adobo?

Ive been inspired to start cooking some traditional Mexican recipes (not tex-mex) for some time now and have always been stuck for finding decent cookbooks/resources. After a fair bit of research Ive decided upon and ordered a couple of Rick Bayless books, Mexican Everyday and Authentic Mexican. If they are everything they are cracked up to be, I'll be sure to get my hands on his Mexican Fiesta book which is supposedly ordered out like Neil Perrys balance and haromny with simple Mexican banquets through to difficult ones .

I cant wait for some summer fiestas and blowing half of my pay packet at Casa Iberica every fortnight! I can see I'll be making my own white corn tortillas and growing tomatillos in no time. ;)

I love and have Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayliss and I just recently bought My Abuela's Table which is a really lovely traditional mexican cook book and has just been released - bought mine from Dymocks. The real mexican food is awesome!

Chipotles in Adobo sauce you can buy on line from Monteray Foods

http://www.montereyfoods.com.au/cart.php?t...category_id=270

Pretty simple Eggs Benny for brekky.... Crappy iphone pic is no reflection on how good they tasted.... :icon_drool2:

IMG_0289.JPG

It was colder than your mother in law's stare here today, and I had the urge to make some old school, from scratch, comfort food. So I decided to make a risotto. By posting all the pics, I'm in no way trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs, it was more a 'record keeping exercise; I'm sure there are many out there that can cook a better and more authentic risotto than me. This is just one I always cook and the family absolutely demolish every time....and again, apologies for the crappy iphone pics

So firts it was a pot of chicken stock...just the carcass of a leftover bbq chicken; the leftover shredded meat from the frame is added later and the balance needed made up with some quick pan fried thighs

R1.JPG

Then some carrot puree done in the thermomix... it's just a panfried onion, some peeled and chopped carrots, a knob of butter and a ladle of the chicken stock cooked and fine pureed

R2.JPG

First in the pan and not shown is another diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic sauteed with some olive oil and another smidge of butter and a good pinch of salt flakes. The salt really brings the sweetness out of the onions when sauteeing.. After this step and still not shown is a couple of vines of thyme and a bay leaf or two sauteed off with the onions. Then I remove the thyme and the bay leaf and add the arborio rice and sautee it off until it soaks up the liquid and begins to go opaque. Then I add a generous splash of wine and begin frying off the rice until all the liquid is gone again and the rice is starting to release its starch in the pan, which is where I am up to in this pic

R3.JPG

Then I ladle in enough of the stock, which has been kept warm (very important) until it covers the rice like shown. This is where I differ from a lot of people that I've seen make risotto; I don't stir the bejesus out of it here. I have the heat at a level where it takes 5 or so minutes to evaporate the stock and I turn the rice over maybe a couple of times. I think over working the rice here contirbutes to a mushy texture in the end.

R5.JPG

When the first lot of stock has evaporated completely and the rice is releasing more of that creamy starch on the bottom of the pan, I add the same amount of stock again, along with some sliced portabello mushies and the chicken flesh

R6.JPG

Then repeat the same; evaporate the liquid while only turning the rice a few times until it releases the last of those creamy starches as shown on the bottom of the pan. At this stage, the rice should be a bit firmer than al dente.

R7.JPG

To finish the rice, in goes the carrot puree and a little more stock. Very much a bit of an educated guess as to how much you'll need to get the texture of the rice correct.

R8.JPG

last is some grated parmesan and a knob of butter to give it some saltiness and a nice glisten and silky mouthfeel. Once tha has incorporated, I add a good pinch of finely chopped parsley and season to taste.

R9.JPG

and in the bowl with a garnish of parsley

R11.JPG

polished of with a LCPA.... :icon_drool2:

I feel slack in posting without pics but...
My wife "insists" on Sunday roasts in colder weather so it has been mostly beef and lamb for a month or two but this week I rocked out a roast free range chicken, all the usual market veges, although I couldn't find parsnips this week, and all washed down with a 2003 Hunter Valley Riesling I found in the the wine cellar under the stairs...
Although I used an Irish Red for the gravy...

It was colder than your mother in law's stare here today, and I had the urge to make some old school, from scratch, comfort food. So I decided to make a risotto. By posting all the pics, I'm in no way trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs, it was more a 'record keeping exercise; I'm sure there are many out there that can cook a better and more authentic risotto than me. This is just one I always cook and the family absolutely demolish every time....and again, apologies for the crappy iphone pics

So firts it was a pot of chicken stock...just the carcass of a leftover bbq chicken; the leftover shredded meat from the frame is added later and the balance needed made up with some quick pan fried thighs

View attachment 46483

Then some carrot puree done in the thermomix... it's just a panfried onion, some peeled and chopped carrots, a knob of butter and a ladle of the chicken stock cooked and fine pureed

View attachment 46484

First in the pan and not shown is another diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic sauteed with some olive oil and another smidge of butter and a good pinch of salt flakes. The salt really brings the sweetness out of the onions when sauteeing.. After this step and still not shown is a couple of vines of thyme and a bay leaf or two sauteed off with the onions. Then I remove the thyme and the bay leaf and add the arborio rice and sautee it off until it soaks up the liquid and begins to go opaque. Then I add a generous splash of wine and begin frying off the rice until all the liquid is gone again and the rice is starting to release its starch in the pan, which is where I am up to in this pic

View attachment 46485

Then I ladle in enough of the stock, which has been kept warm (very important) until it covers the rice like shown. This is where I differ from a lot of people that I've seen make risotto; I don't stir the bejesus out of it here. I have the heat at a level where it takes 5 or so minutes to evaporate the stock and I turn the rice over maybe a couple of times. I think over working the rice here contirbutes to a mushy texture in the end.

View attachment 46486

When the first lot of stock has evaporated completely and the rice is releasing more of that creamy starch on the bottom of the pan, I add the same amount of stock again, along with some sliced portabello mushies and the chicken flesh

View attachment 46487

Then repeat the same; evaporate the liquid while only turning the rice a few times until it releases the last of those creamy starches as shown on the bottom of the pan. At this stage, the rice should be a bit firmer than al dente.

View attachment 46488

To finish the rice, in goes the carrot puree and a little more stock. Very much a bit of an educated guess as to how much you'll need to get the texture of the rice correct.

View attachment 46489

last is some grated parmesan and a knob of butter to give it some saltiness and a nice glisten and silky mouthfeel. Once tha has incorporated, I add a good pinch of finely chopped parsley and season to taste.

View attachment 46490

and in the bowl with a garnish of parsley

View attachment 46491

polished of with a LCPA.... :icon_drool2:

YUMMMMMM! I agiate mine also... I dont stir and stir... looks awsome...

I got Mercurios Menu for my birthday.... LOVE IT....

Ill be posting soon......

I love and have Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayliss and I just recently bought My Abuela's Table which is a really lovely traditional mexican cook book and has just been released - bought mine from Dymocks. The real mexican food is awesome!

Homemade corn tortillas and huevos rancheros with ranchera salsa. :icon_drool2:

Was the perfect breakfast last weekend.

279259_10150241082462713_688152712_7330209_6044885_o.jpg

We've been massively spoilt with roasting vege choice at the markets recently.
I put one of each type of veg in the roast on the plate in this one, plus an extra potato, and maybe a couple more bits...
Marinated lamb roast from the market meat stand, whole roasted garlic, leek, onion, potato, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot, purple carrot (a new superfood apparently, according to my brief searching on the subject when researching how they could be used), and 4 types of sweet potato. We have the 'standard' orange, the purple skinned one which goes white on the inside, a white skinned one which goes purple on the inside and now a little purple one that looks pretty much like a dog turd to be frank, but has a dark purple flesh and roasts beautifully...
All this in a Flemish ale gravy.
Overcooked the lamb unfortunately, but it hadn't dried out so went down well smothered in gravy.
Plus a large container of left over roast veg for salads and maybe a frittata (or really an eggy thing as we call it here...) during the week :)

Washed down with a 2005 Cabernet Merlot.

View attachment 47020

After getting home well after 6pm again, was hard to get the motivation up but 20 min of prep and hey presto, Roast chicken casserole (and a couple of american IPA longnecks while waiting...). Got to love one pot cooking. Hey, goes nicely with my one pot BIAB!!

IMG_0112.JPG

Tonight ... its Coconut rice and pork / corriander meatballs in a green curry sauce complimented with a 1993 Art series Leeuwin Estate Gerwetz Traminer ... followed by Coconut cream pannacotta with a lime reduced sugar syrup served in Champers flutes ...

I do love raiding my fathers wine cellar .. ;-)

I have no idea where he got these boxes from or how he has hidden them from me for so long...

Lucky he said check out the cellar before he gave me the keys to his house ... on his way to our beachside 6 bedroom house in Busso ..

Life is Great !!!

No I am not bragging ...

Not something i cooked but something i am equally chuffed with.

5 years ago at a conference in Italy i was served fresh blood orange juice with breakfast and fell in love.

12 months ago i bought and planted a blood orange tree.

Yesterday i harvested my first crop, 7 oranges and whacked them in the fridge.

This morning i squeezed them all and had fresh blood orange juice with my breakfast (~400mL from 7 oranges)

blood_orange.jpg

Back