What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something i cooked but something i am equally chuffed with.

5 years ago at a conference in Italy i was served fresh blood orange juice with breakfast and fell in love.

I love blood orange juice. Try (once you have a more substantial crop) it in a sorbet...

Cheers
Dave

Hey all. I am the main cook in our house and have been wondering how our diet rolls in comparison to others .. We are an average incomes family with healthy appetites and fans of good food ...

So I thought over the next few weeks I could see what everyone else is cooking / and or eating ... I will try and post some of our home cooked takeout meals ... with recipes I have either cloned or have been shown / given from around the globe...

I have seen on this site a series of food based threads so I hope this does not annoy the Moderators ...

Chicken Laksa - Matts take on it anyhow ..

2 tablespoons of Peanut oil
6 candle nuts (or can be interchanged with macadamia nuts)
2 teaspoons of chilli powder (heat is your choice)
2 teaspoons ground cummin
4 cloves Garlic (4 teaspoons minced)
1 large onion (minced)
1 large tomato, Chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 cans (400ml) coconut milk
500gm vermicilli rice noodles
250gm beanshoots
400gm shredded cooked chicken meat (brown meat if possible)
60gm fried hard beancurd (fried tofu)
6 spring onions
1 can (400ml) coconut cream
3 green or red chilli thinly sliced
4 Kaffir lime leaves
Corriander leaves chopped (garnish)

Method :

Heat oil in Wok or large saucepan and fry candlenut with cummin, garlic, onion and chilli powder, for about 5 mins , stirring constantly.Add chopped tomato, salt, sugar and pepper, then add coconut milk and heat until almost boiling, lower heat so soup is simmering and allow to simmer for 6 - 8 minutes. Set aside but keep warm, add kaffir lime leaves once off heat.

Pour boiling water over rice noodles and allow to stand for about 10 mins or until softened. Drain, rinse with cold water. Allow beasprouts to sit in ice and water to crispen.

To serve share noodles across 6 bowls, add bean sprouts, shredded chicken, fried tofu and the spring onion. Share the coconut cream across the 6 bowls and top up with coconut milk mixture / sauce. Garnish with sliced chilli and chopped coriander.. Soy Sauce, Chilli Sambal and crushed peanuts may be added as condiments. The use of Thai Basil and a wedge of lemon is also good.

Cheers

Matt ...

BTW - as a beer to compliment this style of cooking any Asian Lagers would suit such as Singha or Bingtang - For those who have brewed beers with rice as an adjunct .. a Vietnamese street lager would be great...

makes my bacon n egg sanga look a bit sad..
i do a bit of thai cooking aswell, since i spent 11 years as a prawn fisherman it was always a seafood laksa with western king prawns, balmain bugs and squid

another good prawn one is loads of finely diced onion/garlic fried off, add a glass of white wine and tub of cream bang the prawns in and reduce until prawns are cooked served on a bed of rice or on top of a nice steak

i had sausages for dinner, ingredients were sausages and heat

This morning I found some saffron mushrooms under pine trees, about a kilo. I'm going to try a pie with mushrooms, onions, garlic, zucchini, carrot and chicken mince, maybe sage and oregano. If you don't hear from me ever again they weren't really saffron mushrooms.

Greg ... thats a classic .. sounds good thou ... the Mods should totally put Like and Unlike buttons on this site ... 2 thumbs up for humour...

Matt

Ok .. tonight there is a feast from the Garden ...

A Warm Asian Chicken salad ..

3 x chicken breasts sliced in half
4 cups or a bag of mixed lettuce leaves ( rocket goes well in this)
a good handful of bean sprouts
1 x lebo cucumber
2 x carrots
3 tablespoons or a good slosh of Coconut vinegar
a bloody good crack of pepper
1 x chilli sliced from tip to half way 8 times and placed in ice to curl

Ok .. so the stand out in this recipe is a lack of coconut cream but the trust coconut vinegar (see a really awesome multicultural asian store) it is a bitter , kinda citrusy sour vinegar which once u taste u will know what I mean .. it is the BOMB ...

slice the Chilli from the tip to about 1/2 way along the chilli or more if u are a bit adventurous ... place in a bowl with ice and COLD water ... and let it curl .. its a garnish so if it does not work just chuck it on top and say you split it for shits and giggles ...

so grill chicken breast in a little oil and a good crack of pepper, until browned and looking sweet .. put aside but ensure that it is cooked .. put the lettuce leaves , cucumber (sliced finely) carrots (as per cucumber) ok .. now the splashing of coconut vinegar .. do your self a favour and smell and taste it first .. It should smell like coconut .. but slightly acidic .. taste is devine .. add as much as your palate wants ... in my case .. HEAPS ...

This salad goes extremely well with the latest Little creatures Single batch -The Big Dipper ... or a Pilsner..

OK ... guys and Gals ... you are going to get every dinner I cook for 2012 .. so ... Its worth reading ... I am going to recreate all of my family meals on here .. all the favourites and the recipes which are my family .. an on the 16th of November 2012 I am hosting my 40th Birthday and launch of my new cook book ... "The Long Table" ... I will be matching beer to meals and am happy to hear advice from any one of you about recipes .. like or dislike .. am I using you as guinea pigs .. NOPE ... but as fellow brewers and people with taste and an ability to say way mouthfeel is ... I appreciate your opinion .. I am anxious to read all of your meals and recipes .. perhaps your recipe will become a family favourite .... trust me this is NON profit ... this is for my kids .. I want them to have something to hand onto their kids so they don't forget their roots... so challenge me .. don't be arseholes .. food is mega important .. and yes Beer will be a HUGE chapter .. as will Salami.. pies .. desserts and Biltong ..

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Ice Cream. :icon_cheers:

600ml cream
1 bottle of SNPA
5 egg yolks
150g sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
150ml full cream milk

heat cream, milk, sugar and scraped vanilla beans (and pod) until steaming (70deg~).

Beat eggs until pale in a mixing bowl. Add hot cream slowly to eggs to temper, whisking vigiourously then return back to pan including the split vanilla bean.

Reheat the now 'custard' until it reaches 76 deg with constant stirring. immediately remove from the heat and sieve into a clean mixing bowl (to ensure there are no eggy lumps if your custard curdled). add the vanilla pod back into the custard to continue to infuse.

rapid chill over an ice bowl or 'no chill' in the refridgerator for several hours.

When ready to churn, remove custard from the fride and fish out the vanilla pod. combine with a COLD bottle of SNPA and then churn as per ice cream mixers manufacturer directions.

Ripen the ice cream in the freezer for as long as you can wait (24 hours is best).

I really want to make this with a scotch ale or some barleywine. Would also be good if you steep crystal malt in the milk instead of vanilla too! :super:

Fourstar ... thats awesome .. as I sit back and enjoy a six pack of celebration from Sierra Nevada ... Freakin awesome beer and I could imagine it in an ice-cream over a rhubarb and apple crumble ...

but tonight although I had a plan of a huge cook up I went a bit down ... considering my son broke his arms and I spent most of the day running around getting him between docs appoints and xrays back to the docs etc....

So dinner tonight was a bacon and egg pie .. with a twist

I used a short crust pastry as a base ... I can't say I blind baked it as there is no POINT IMO with short crust pastry but did put it in a 220 C oven for 10mins to sort the base out .. then removed it from the oven .. put a layer of uncooked bacon on the base and lt it sit whilst I cooked 1 brown onion, 1 tablespoon of Garlic (minced) and 2 Chorizos in a fry pan so the onion was caramelised and the chorizos browned .. mean while I cooked 6 rashers of bacon .. once all done ... I started layering the pie ... I cracked 6 eggs in the first layer .. covered them in the onion, garlic and chorizo mix.. followed by more bacon and another 6 eggs .. over the top .. puff pastry ... with a few breath holes .. egg wash and a touch of sumac .. into the oven for about 30 mins .. or 3 pints ( :) ) ...

wait 30 mins once out of oven .. tuck in .. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD .... Tomorrow a few special ones s the parents arrive ... I can say a Sambal with ayam and nasi (chilli chicken and rice ) with chicken wings adjusted to handles ...

Not quite sure for the rest of the week but XMAS ... read .. pancakes with strawberries and chic for breakfast .. followed by french champers ...

Fourstar ... thats awesome .. as I sit back and enjoy a six pack of celebration from Sierra Nevada ... Freakin awesome beer and I could imagine it in an ice-cream over a rhubarb and apple crumble ...

It was planned but got delayed to yesterday. Going to be churned when i get home tonight and adding a bottle of torpedo instead as i accidentally opened my last SNPA last night. Whoops! :drinks:

My whole inspiration for getting an ice cream maker last year was to maker some beer ice cream and now im finally doing it (around 15 ice creams later!) :rolleyes:

Fourstar ... good choice with the Torpedo ... I am in love with that beer ... fantastic!!!!

Let me know how it turns out ... I would not mind trying making ice-cream with the Big dipper ... Yeah Baby.. That would be the bomb ... or maybe Monteiths Summer ale ..

:icon_drool2:

So Last my Parents arrived and I figured I was going to make a quick dish of Sambal Nasi lemak ... but unfortunately due to things getting out of hand and the oldies getting on it, we settled on a light dinner of Mango, Avocado, lettuce, cucumber and cherry tomatoes as a bed for the 2 KG of Chicken boomerangs which had been separated and marinated for 24hrs in Kecap Manis and Banana sauce ... Then oven backed at 180 for 10 mins and rested to cool prior to placing on top of the salad and finished off with the juice of a lime over the whole dish ... worked out ok ...

Tonight ... Sambal Nasi Lemak ... with asian fried chicken pieces and coconut rice ...

Matt

Sid you just mash up a few bananas and mix it with the kecap manis or were there some other ingredients in there too? Genuinely interested now that the price of nanas has come back down.

Liam, Banana sauce is a philipino sauce .. it replaces the use of tomato sauce .. has a chilli bite and well worth the effort of finding ... but whilst you are picking that up from the local asian store see if they have coconut vinegar ... That stuff is the BOMB !!!!! the best thing I have found in 2011 !!!! I am now using it in almost everything ..

SERIOUSLY !!!

Matt

gee

all i had tonight was

Soysauce and redgum honey marinated chicken thighs on the BBQ with rice...

Chucked in a bit of sweet thai chilli sauce for spice. wasn't too bad but i fucked up cooking the rice and the thighs could of done with a longer soak...

Although the cleaning of the BBQ plate with a cinnamon ale helped with the flavour a little

Fourstar ... good choice with the Torpedo ... I am in love with that beer ... fantastic!!!!
Let me know how it turns out ... I would not mind trying making ice-cream with the Big dipper ... Yeah Baby.. That would be the bomb ... or maybe Monteiths Summer ale ..
:icon_drool2:

Interesting to say the least, it would be better with a burnt caramel ice cream base or something to that effect (maybe some crystal malt steeped in milk)? I used 3/4 of a bottle but next time i'd reduce to half as the bitterness causes a strange finish and the base custard i used wasnt a perfect fit (IMO).

The high about of beer in the mix means there is less fat and sugar in the custard so it turns out somewhat icy. Some more work required to get it fluffy and creamy but it still tastes good. :icon_cheers:

Back