What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno... where it comes to pav I'm a traditionalist - Strawberry.. passion-fruit and if you are feeling a bit posh some kiwifruit. I'm not sure about these new-fangled toppings.

You'll just have to send me a slice so I can make up my mind... B)

I've done my usual trick.. heaps of food photos on the camera that I haven't managed to post yet.

Cheers
Dave

I love just passionfruit on a pav.... the whole fruit salad thing is way to sweet for pavs. That is why passionfruit works best. The vinegar in the strawberry tarts it up a bit. Mixed berries from the frozen section once thawed and made into a coulis works well to. NEVER put banana on a pav way to sweet.

Marinated Smokey Pork ribs from the butcher baked in foil for 2 hours 150C with steamed Bok Choi drizzled with Sesame oil and black pepper with a microwaved spud and sweet potato Dhal.
Dhal recipe

Marinated Smokey Pork ribs from the butcher baked in foil for 2 hours 150C with steamed Bok Choi drizzled with Sesame oil and black pepper with a microwaved spud and sweet potato Dhal.
Dhal recipe

Interesting fusion you have there. American Ribs, Chinese Greens and indian Potato. Where you having a pantry cleanout?! :p

Interesting fusion you have there. American Ribs, Chinese Greens and indian Potato. Where you having a pantry cleanout?! :p

Not quite just the Specials at Coles. Dhal made last week, meat from local butcher not tasteless supermarket fare.

No photos does not count!

I learnt the hard way. i;ll have a few hours alone tonight so i should hopefully have enough time to get my HKG photos up.

Expect a BIIIIG whack of food photos then :p.

I learnt the hard way. i;ll have a few hours alone tonight so i should hopefully have enough time to get my HKG photos up.

Expect a BIIIIG whack of food photos then :p.

But you didnt cook them! We will need to start a new thread On somebody elses table.

LOL...

We need photos as food is such a visial thing. I love using up left overs but I still can not vision pork ribs, dahl and potato!

Dahl makes a great substitute for mushy peas on Fish and Chips.

Sorry no pictures, nothing great to look at just a strange mix that worked for me anyway.
Papaya and Lime juice for afters.

OK... finally pulled my finger out and grabbed the photos off the camera

Red Braised beef (with some fried rice as a starter... first ever attempt at fried rice... worked an absolute treat)

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

Some really nice sour cherry and spice pancakes I made for breakfast one day

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

A special one - smoked salmon, leek and feta ravioli (not home made... bought at an organic market). Done with a sauce of caramelised red onion and home grown golden snow peas.

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

Last up a quick thing I threw together for lunch the other day. Some leftover boiled spuds from dinner the night before, onion, cumin seeds and a big jalapeno chilli all fried up together till crispy then bound together with an egg. Not very pretty but yummo.

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

mmm bubble and squeak...

Can I please have your recipe for the red braised beef please?

You never made fried rice before???

mmm bubble and squeak...

Can I please have your recipe for the red braised beef please?

You never made fried rice before???

Kind of bubble and squeak... only with less cabbage and more chilli. Sort of a Mexican bubble and squeak.

Nope... never made fried rice before. Never had much leftover rice to make it with. For some reason I did an extra big batch of rice a few nights before and had plenty of cold, cooked rice in the fridge which is exactly what you need for fried rice.

Red braised beef -

First make up your braising stock (this make a metric crapload so you will have enough to freeze for several batches)

6 litres cold water
3 cups Shao Hsing wine
2 cups dark soy
1 cup light soy
2 cups yellow rock sugar (crushed)
12 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 cup sliced ginger
8 spring onion stems (sliced)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 cinnamon quills
1 piece dried orange peel
If you want to make this Szechwan style (which I usually do) throw in a handful of dried chillis.

Place all ingredients in a big stock pot. Bring to the boil. Let simmer for 20 mins.

OK... now you have your stock.

Place your beef (shin, chuck, brisket) in a pot. Cover with water. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 mins. Drain the water. Rinse the meat under cold water and drain well (very Chinese thing to do... it is supposed to remove any impurities from the meat). Put the meat back in the pot with enough braising stock to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer till falling apart. Chick any greens in right at the end. Serve with steamed rice.

Kind of bubble and squeak... only with less cabbage and more chilli. Sort of a Mexican bubble and squeak.

Nope... never made fried rice before. Never had much leftover rice to make it with. For some reason I did an extra big batch of rice a few nights before and had plenty of cold, cooked rice in the fridge which is exactly what you need for fried rice.

Red braised beef -

First make up your braising stock (this make a metric crapload so you will have enough to freeze for several batches)

6 litres cold water
3 cups Shao Hsing wine
2 cups dark soy
1 cup light soy
2 cups yellow rock sugar (crushed)
12 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 cup sliced ginger
8 spring onion stems (sliced)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 cinnamon quills
1 piece dried orange peel
If you want to make this Szechwan style (which I usually do) throw in a handful of dried chillis.

Place all ingredients in a big stock pot. Bring to the boil. Let simmer for 20 mins.

OK... now you have your stock.

Place your beef (shin, chuck, brisket) in a pot. Cover with water. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 mins. Drain the water. Rinse the meat under cold water and drain well (very Chinese thing to do... it is supposed to remove any impurities from the meat). Put the meat back in the pot with enough braising stock to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer till falling apart. Chick any greens in right at the end. Serve with steamed rice.

Thanks for that I will be cooking that soon with the addition of star anise. What this space! I will take a photo. Have you tried it with PORK I think that would be yummy.

For a quick result with the fried rice... you can put freshly steam rice in the freezer until it cools and seperates. Try throwing some chinese sausage in... YUMs.

Im cooking a chicken rendang and dahl tonight!

edit: just read its for quite alot...

Thanks for that I will be cooking that soon with the addition of star anise. What this space! I will take a photo. Have you tried it with PORK I think that would be yummy.

For a quick result with the fried rice... you can put freshly steam rice in the freezer until it cools and seperates. Try throwing some chinese sausage in... YUMs.

Im cooking a chicken rendang and dahl tonight!

edit: just read its for quite alot...

D'oh... star anise. I left out the star anise...

2 or 3 whole star anise go in along with the rest.

And yes.. it does make a lot. You end up with around 7 litres of braising stock at the end. It does freeze well though. Or you could be a wuss and cut the quantity in half.

Haven't done pork. The missus can't eat it (upsets her tum) so I only get to do porky things when she's out. I suppose I could do a pork one and chuck some chicken in for her... might give that a try.

Cheers
Dave

Not the best photo as I was in a hurry to eat it... Yum chicken rendang and my Dahl!

photo.jpg

I haven't been on this thread for so long due to general embarassment caused by the incredible yummy goodness that is bordering on masterchef food snobbery! No baggettes here and I am still to be told what a bloody jus is! I am still plodding away with my simple farm food lifestyle trying to use the freshest ingredients I can get.

The latest thing I have built is the ugly drum smoker which I felt naive for not knowing about. Thanks Screwy. I had a weber lying around that provided some of the important bits. Today it fired it's first shot in anger. 4 turkey legs and 2 whole chooks that had been in brine for nearly 2 days. A couple of pork ribs that had been done in a shop marinade that I had tweaked with a bit of liquid smoke.

The brine recipe is interesting for the 'crab and shrimp boil' I got from www.usafoods.com.au . It gives it a nice creole sting. Well worth the effort of acquiring. Here's the brine recipe for those interested:

7.5L water
2 Cups Kosher Salt
3 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Zatarains Liquid Crab Boil
4 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Dried Rosemary
1 TBS Thyme
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup White Wine (not Cooking Wine)
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

smoker5.jpg
smoker6.jpg

I am still plodding away with my simple farm food lifestyle trying to use the freshest ingredients I can get.

Whatever style of cooking you try - whether fusion, molecular gastronomy or just plain simple home cooked, this should be the basis of it. Some of the best meals ever are simple, peasant or farmer style made with ingredients freshly grown, freshly caught and/or freshly killed.

Jus is just brown stock reduced till its thick and goes back to the same idea - fresh ingredients, cooked slow and with care to make a meal a better experience than using a stock cube. Very simple ingredients - it's all about the process and time, much like brewing beer.

Currently slow cooking a lamb leg with various spices, diced carrots, tomatoes and others. Will serve with rice and yoghurt. If I remember I'll take a photo although I always think recipes and methods make more sense than photos and I feel odd taking pictures of my dinner.
s

Looks great henno! ive so got to make up a UDS. tasty tasty smoked meats! :icon_drool2:

The USA foods brine looks good too, would add some decent flavour. Although the recipe is a little oxymoron, see bold. ;)

The brine recipe is interesting for the 'crab and shrimp boil' I got from www.usafoods.com.au . It gives it a nice creole sting. Well worth the effort of acquiring. Here's the brine recipe for those interested:

7.5L water
2 Cups Kosher Salt
3 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Zatarains Liquid Crab Boil
4 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Dried Rosemary
1 TBS Thyme
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup White Wine (not Cooking Wine)
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

Never taking photos of my food again.

Just out of the oven after 4-5 hours at 120 degrees

slowcookedlambpotsmall.jpg

Bones cleaned using just a pair of tongs and very little effort

slowcookedlambbonessmall.jpg

Halal lamb leg marinated with garlic, lemon zest, kofte bahari, dolme bahari, toasted crushed cumin seed, fenugreek, cardamom, fresh chilli, olive oil and black pepper. Spices dry toasted, olive oil added, rest of marinade ingredients briefly cooked and cooled then rubbed on lamb leg (including under skin). Sealed in a pan then chucked, covered in the oven for 1-2 hours. Fresh and tinned tomatoes added, cooked for further hour then diced carrots and coriander roots added. Touch of red wine and some of the beer I was drinking (vaguely english ale, low hops)

Cooked at least 2 more hours then spinach, fresh tomatoes (diced), diced red capsicum, coriander, mint and parsley chucked in, heat turned off, cover on. Yoghurt contained lemon zest, lemon juice, toasted cumin, mint, raw garlic and chilli (chopped very fine), salt and pepper. Served with rice cooked in homemade chicken stock and red wine. I always fry my rice off raw first in oil - this is normally used for risotto rice to stop the rice going gluggy but works beautifully for any other rice - including fried rice (seems obvious). Stock is hot before I add it to the rice.

On the plate ready for eating:

slowcookedlambsmall.jpg

Back