What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boddingtons?

Did two chickens like this yesterday. Mmmmmm.... with the following rub:

1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 paprika
good grind of black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sumac

1/2 a can full of my american amber and some hickory chips.

Cheers SJ

Merc - The can is Boddingtons but since you ripped it open to get the widget out did you refill it with some of your own?

SJ - did a similar rub on a rack of pork ribs last weekend and cooked it the the weber with some mesquite chips. I cant use my weber anymore without throwing some wood chips in there.

Looks like a Boddingtons tinny to me. Glad I read on, I was thinking HTF did you get the chook to stand up

Smurto, I'm definitely addicted to the wood chips, the bbq doesn't get fired up now without them. Have been perfecting my 'fake wood fired pizzas' using a stone and the smoking chips. Works very well, correct crispyness of the base and a nice subtle smoky flavour.

Weber is in the process of being 'permanently borrowed' from the folks to move more into slow cooking/hot smoking :icon_drool2:

Cheers SJ

Yes Boddingtons! I cut the top out so as to get the widget out then put 2/3's of the beer back in with some lemon wedges and a bruised garlic clove then on went the chicken which was then rubbed with a garlic paprika butter. Problem was the boddington's can was too tall which meant I couldnt close the webber lid!!! So I had to take the chicken off, empty the beer and cut about 1/3 of the top of the can off then refill, re-impale, re baste and bang it on the webber this time with the lid fitting nice and tightly! One hour and it was cooked and delicious. Didnt really get beer flavour but had good moistness.

Hi Merc,

i don't get a lot/much beer flavour, but this method delivers one very tasty juicy bird! and a really nice rispy skin

Cheers SJ

Merc - When can we expect to see your beer cookbook that I've heard about come out?

Merc - When can we expect to see your beer cookbook that I've heard about come out?

I am finishing writing this week and deliver the draft to the publishers this coming Monday. We then do the edit for a month or so then we do the layout and design, photos and testing. It then goes to the press etc and I imagine it will hit the shelves in June/July. They are aiming at a Fathers day launch 2011.

Crazy lead time but the rule of thumb is 18 months from signing on the dotted line to the book sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Beer can chicken is in the book.

Good stuff Merc, please tell me it's going to have some kind Kramer style innovation, ala coffee table book that turns into a coffee table??? :p

Cheers SJ

I am finishing writing this week and deliver the draft to the publishers this coming Monday. We then do the edit for a month or so then we do the layout and design, photos and testing. It then goes to the press etc and I imagine it will hit the shelves in June/July. They are aiming at a Fathers day launch 2011.

Crazy lead time but the rule of thumb is 18 months from signing on the dotted line to the book sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Beer can chicken is in the book.

Sounds great. More than happy to help out with testing if the job gets too much for you. :beer:

On the table the last week

Do you always put the pizza onto a tray? How does this impact the cooking of the base? Is this just to allow you to prepare the pizza faster and cleaner method?

Do you always put the pizza onto a tray? How does this impact the cooking of the base? Is this just to allow you to prepare the pizza faster and cleaner method?

Yeah I roll out the dough and put it on the tray then load it up with the sauce and toppings etc Easy to carry out to the pizza oven. I slide the trays in the oven, give them a turn so the top cooks evenly and after about one minuute and thirty seconds I slide the pizza off the tray and leave them for another 30 - 60 seconds so the bottom crisps up but doesnt burn (that is the theory but in practise...) then I take them out of the oven put them back on the tray so I can carry them inside to the chopping block. I am still getting the hang of the oven as I have only had it for 2 months.

on the table yesterday - Trappist Fruit Cake

Trappist_Fruit_Cake.JPG

Sage

Only just discovered this herb for myself. I've had it in meals cooked by other people but since expaning the herb garden (again) i have started using it in my own cooking. Have almost picked the thyme bare so started using sage in its place and wow, just wow.

Whilst my irish mates will no doubt call me a blasphemer i find it has taken my irish stew to a new level. The lamb shanks and butter bean stew on the weekend was a big hit with the family and the chicken and veg pies i made a few nights ago were the best I've made.

Joined the Diggers Club a few months back and now have several packs of seeds as well as a few seed potatoes so the vegie patch will be expanding even further this year with plenty of heirloom veg instead of the stuff i used to buy from the local garden shop as seedlings.

10 years ago the thought of discussing cooking and vegie patches would have resulted in me laughing at you and calling you an old bugger.

Apparently i am now that old bugger <_< :lol:

Sage

Only just discovered this herb for myself. I've had it in meals cooked by other people but since expaning the herb garden (again) i have started using it in my own cooking. Have almost picked the thyme bare so started using sage in its place and wow, just wow.

Whilst my irish mates will no doubt call me a blasphemer i find it has taken my irish stew to a new level. The lamb shanks and butter bean stew on the weekend was a big hit with the family and the chicken and veg pies i made a few nights ago were the best I've made.

Joined the Diggers Club a few months back and now have several packs of seeds as well as a few seed potatoes so the vegie patch will be expanding even further this year with plenty of heirloom veg instead of the stuff i used to buy from the local garden shop as seedlings.

10 years ago the thought of discussing cooking and vegie patches would have resulted in me laughing at you and calling you an old bugger.

Apparently i am now that old bugger <_< :lol:

Sage is a beautiful herb, it can be quite strong... try frying it in butter so it crisps (burnt butter sauce) lovely over pasta with pumpkin and pinenuts. Or cook up some kifler potatoes and throw the sage butter in that and let the flavours infuse into the waxy potato. Fantastic with lamb and a side salad.

Yeah I roll out the dough and put it on the tray then load it up with the sauce and toppings etc Easy to carry out to the pizza oven. I slide the trays in the oven, give them a turn so the top cooks evenly and after about one minuute and thirty seconds I slide the pizza off the tray and leave them for another 30 - 60 seconds so the bottom crisps up but doesnt burn (that is the theory but in practise...) then I take them out of the oven put them back on the tray so I can carry them inside to the chopping block. I am still getting the hang of the oven as I have only had it for 2 months.

on the table yesterday - Trappist Fruit Cake
Will that be in the book?

I have a German beer fruit cake that is a family and brew club favourite but that one there looks and sounds tasty too...

Will that be in the book?

I have a German beer fruit cake that is a family and brew club favourite but that one there looks and sounds tasty too...

Yes the Trappist Fruit Cake will be in the book.

What is you family German Beer Fruit Cake recipe????

Goes beautifully with mushrooms (of all types) and butter. Hoping to do a braised rabbit with cider, sage and mushrooms before the weather gets warmer (waiting for my ciders to condition).

Might just have to drink it with cider instead as my lady can't digest apples.

Also consider roast pumpkin, sage and pinenut soup (some spinach doesn't go astray) and quick cooked rabbit fillet with a pistachio and sage coating.

Sage is awesome.... It goes great pounded up in a mortar and pestle with some salt flakes, olive oil, tarragon, black pepper, a jalepeno and a clove or two of garlic. Just enough oil to make it into a moist, semi-dry rub. The butterfly out a leg of lamb and rub it well with the aforementioned and leave it at room temp for at least half an hour. Cook it in your wood fired oven or in your weber and it's frickin awesome!

Yes the Trappist Fruit Cake will be in the book.

What is you family German Beer Fruit Cake recipe????
Not a family one by any means, just popular in the family :)
I regret not getting my grandmother to write down some of her recipes, but that's another story...

Here's the recipe.

We used what my family always referred to as a kugelhopf tin but it appears that is a type whereas bundt is the pan style... A ringed tin like this...

We don't bother with the rum butter any more, just dust with icing sugar.

So far I've only tried really light lagers and dark beers, a dunkelweizen and a dunkel, in this.
Hard to say which is best. This is a really tasty cake whichever way you go...

GERMAN BEER COFFEE CAKE

3 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 c. beer
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients; set aside. Combine dates and nuts, stir in small amount of flour mixture and set aside. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar, add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition, alternating flour mixture with beer. Stir in dates and nuts. Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake in 350 degree oven 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tests done. Cool 10 minutes on rack and then turn out to cool. Wrap cake in foil 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve Rum Butter Frosting on side.

RUM BUTTER FROSTING: Whip 1/2 cup softened butter and 2 tablespoons rum until fluffy. Serves 18.

Back