What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a small 2kg pork neck on the smoker today. Took 8 hours but worth every minute!
Pulled pork and slaw sandwiches on sourdough buns!
61250564.jpg
Dude! :icon_drool2: :super:

Did a small 2kg pork neck on the smoker today. Took 8 hours but worth every minute!
Pulled pork and slaw sandwiches on sourdough buns!
61250564.jpg

Looks beautiful MCT

Hated brussel sprouts till............. I still hate brussel sprouts.

Have you had it recently?

I did, steamed for a couple of mins, then with served with fried onion & bacon and it was awesome! No worse than any other green vegetable really. I dont know if it's because my mum used to cook it until it was a horrible gluggy mash or my tastebuds have changed since I was a kid, but im converted. AA++ will eat again.

I bought a couple of new toys recently for the kitchen...

P7300090.JPG

P7300092.JPG

After 14 years, my Zwilling and Henckels cook's knife is starting to wane and I decided to replace it. Have a friend who is in the trade and swears by Japanese steel so I thought I'd try it out. The knives are Hattori and I got them from here.

Can't complain about the service either! Ordered them Thursday arvo last week and they turned up this morning.

Have you had it recently?

I did, steamed for a couple of mins, then with served with fried onion & bacon and it was awesome! No worse than any other green vegetable really. I dont know if it's because my mum used to cook it until it was a horrible gluggy mash or my tastebuds have changed since I was a kid, but im converted. AA++ will eat again.

Ast few years. I enjoyed the bacon they were cooked with (definitely not overcooked but still horrible)

Ast = Past

@Schooey - I've about 3 global knives I've used for the last 15 years or so (first 5 of those commercially so a lot of use). I'd give votes to japanese steel. Those knives certainly look pretty.

Been seriously slack recently. Cooked a lot of stuff. Even taken photos but they have been sitting on the camera for weeks. Finally grabbed them off today.

Here's a Dum Gosht from a few weeks ago -

Brown the beef

IMG_1745.jpg

Cook some onions until really brown

IMG_1746.jpg

Add meat and spices

IMG_1747.jpg

Yoghurt

IMG_1748.jpg

Ready for the oven. Seal with foil and a tight fitting lid. Traditionally you sealed the pot with dough.

IMG_1749.jpg

Several hours later

IMG_1753.jpg

Served with Dahl (few peas thrown in for good measure)

IMG_1754.jpg

Butter Rice

IMG_1755.jpg

And Rotis

IMG_1752.jpg

More to come later.

Cheers
Dave

Another one for you - a kind of middle-easternish chicken stew based on those really nice lentils and rice you can get at good kebab shops. A big chunk of home made preserved lemon finely chopped through as well.

IMG_1778.jpg

A few peas added at the end (hey... its pea season in the vege garden OK)

IMG_1779.jpg

Served with some Turkish bread

IMG_1780.jpg

More later...

Still catching up. Another curry - lamb Rogan Josh

Brown lamb well

IMG_1793.jpg

Spices in hot oil for a second or two

IMG_1794.jpg

Onions

IMG_1795.jpg

Ginger & Garlic paste

IMG_1796.jpg

Second lot of spices

IMG_1797.jpg

Meat and yoghurt

IMG_1798.jpg

Simmer for a few hours and...

IMG_1800.jpg

Served with Saag Aloo (Spinach and spuds)

IMG_1802.jpg

OK... last 2 from my backlog tonight...

Greek style goat -

Cubed goat marinated in lemon, bay, pepper and olive oil

IMG_1769.jpg

Fried up with some onions

IMG_1773.jpg

Cauliflower

IMG_1774.jpg

Some white wine

IMG_1775.jpg

Served with flat bread and some baked pumpkin

IMG_1776.jpg

The missus made a quince tart for dessert (using home made preserved quinces)

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Ok... Last one...

Brown ale pies

Fry up some small onions and bacon chunks

IMG_1781.jpg

Add cubes of chuck steak and brown well

IMG_1782.jpg

Mushrooms

IMG_1783.jpg

A litre of brown ale

IMG_1784.jpg

Turnip

IMG_1785.jpg

Herbs & a big dollop of grainy mustard

IMG_1786.jpg

Cook for a few hours then thicken with arrowroot

IMG_1787.jpg

Into ramekins

IMG_1788.jpg

Pastry, egg wash and pepper

IMG_1789.jpg

Into the oven and...

IMG_1790.jpg

With some zucchini fried up with olive oil and garlic (and a big glass of brown ale)

IMG_1792.jpg

Enough of my showing off now...

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

I'd eat anything you cook, all those lovely slow cooked meals are just perfect for the cold Adelaide hills winter and when combined with your homemade breads to mop up the juices, washed down with your own beer you are living! :beerbang:

Just love that Turkish Bread I get the bake at home from Coles. Egyptian bread is similar except round and not as thick as the Turkish but tastes very much the same.

Got this superb Dahl recipe from the net and it is the best I have ever tasted just alter the amounts for your own tastes I used a few hot chillies for effect.

1 x onion chopped finely.
3 x cloves garlic
1 x teaspoon of grated Ginger (I used 2)
2 x bay leaves
3 x tablespoon olive oil
1 x cup of lentils ( I used a mixture of red lentils and yellow split peas soaked in water for a few hours )
2 x teaspoons Tumeric + 2 x teaspoons of Curry Powder
3 x Cups of Vegetable Stock
1 x cup of Sweet Potato finely chopped or boil first and add as mash.
1/2 x cup Red Capiscum ( or green or yellow)
1 x large hot Red Chilli.
1/2 x cup Coconut milk ( cream ? )
2 x cups of Spinach
2 x teaspoons of poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.

Gently heat the onions and garlic in the oil with the spices until soft.
Then chuck everything into a large saucepan and anything else you desire to throw in and allow to gently boil/simmer until the lentils are tender. Throw the spinach in at the last 5 minutes.
Garnish with some fresh Corriander.

Wonderful with Turkish Bread.

i've seen plenty of these beer can chickens -- anyone worried about the plastics, paints, etc on/in the tinny?

i've seen plenty of these beer can chickens -- anyone worried about the plastics, paints, etc on/in the tinny?

I took the widget out of the can.

It doesnt get hot enough for any nasties to come off the can etc or so I have been led to believe!

This could very well be the weirdest question you've ever been asked, Paul, but what did you put in the chook's derriere?:s

beer can + widget would have to equal guiness?

This could very well be the weirdest question you've ever been asked, Paul, but what did you put in the chook's derriere?:s

I thought you guys would have picked the beer pretty quickly!

I wont answer the question just yet instead will l wait to see who picks it.

Back