What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dessert consisted of a Murray's Heart of Darkness and a couple of Chocolate Macaroons.

Drop the extra O, they aint covered in coconut! :icon_cheers:

Look beautiful by the way! :icon_drool2:

Tonight is laksa night. If i work fast enough, i'll try and take some pretty pictures! :icon_chickcheers:

Thank you all for the kind compliments.. :) It feels a little ironic posting photos of food on a beer forum. Especially when the food is being cooked in a kitchen that is currently being renovated which means I have a garage full of cornice, plasterboard and cabinets that is keeping from brewing the beer that bought me here in the first place! I know, I should just HTFU, but life gets in the way and the cooking is the wind down time....

This is the Macaron recipe I used;

Biscuit Ingredients

• 90 grams of egg whites, at room temperature*
  • 125 grams of ground almonds or almond flour
  • 125 grams of icing sugar
  • 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 125 grams of caster sugar
* It's best if you age your egg whites a couple of days before making the macaron. Make sure the white is super clean or it won't beat properly, just like pav.

Butter Cream Ingredients

• 325 grams bittersweet chocolate (I used the Whittakers Dark Ghana)
  • 300 grams of double cream
  • 75 grams of unsalted butter
Method

1. Heat your oven to 220C, place the shelf just below centre.

2. Blitz the icing sugar, almonds and cocoa until really fine, and I mean really superfine or the biscuits will be really grainy in texture.

3. Put your egg white in a super clean bowl and begin to beat until it's light and fluffy and gradually start adding the sugar a spoon full at a time. Beat in between additions well. once the sugar is all in continue to beat until you get stiff peaks. It should hold a peak up like a birds beak.

4. Fold the almond/sugar mix into the egg white being careful not to overmix it. It should come out glossy and lava like so when you drop it from a pastry knife it forms a ribbon. not a glob.

5. Pipe walnut size dollops onto a flat baking tray lined with two layers of baking paper. When you have them on there, pick the tray up and smack it on the bench, but not too hard. Just to flatten them slightly. You have to leave them on a bench in the open now for about half an hour or until they form a bit of a skin on top. This helps them rise and form the 'foot'.

6. Place in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 140C and continue to bake for 23 minutes. This is fiddly and because everyone's oven is different, you may need to play with it. In the end, when cooled fully, they should finish with a crust on the top, and slightly on the bottom and still have a chewy consistency in the centre.

7. Remove macarons from the oven. Lift the paper slightly while spraying a small amount of water onto the hot tray and let the paper fall back. The steam produced by the water will allow the macarons to come off easily once they have cooled

8. To make the butter, bring the cream to the boil and pour over the broken up chocolate in a bowl. Mix until chocolate is dissolved and then add diced butter. Stir until the butter is fully dissolved. The first time I did this I didn't work quick enough and ended up having to heat the bowl over a simmering saucepan to get all the butter to dissolve. Once it's smooth and sliky, let it cool out and thicken. Once cooled to a margarine like consistency, spoon about a teaspoon full on half a biscuit and then place the other half on top and twist and push until you manipulate the chocolate butter evenly.

9. Place in an airtight container and regrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Really, I didn't find them that hard to make if you follow the recipe closely. I gather it's not something you can go 'Ah that's close enough' with, especially with the amount of egg white.

Bon Apetit!

Oh and Muggus, that pie looks awesome, mate! I'm going to have to give that a crack next time I have left over Massaman... :D

Thank you all for the kind compliments.. :) It feels a little ironic posting photos of food on a beer forum. Especially when the food is being cooked in a kitchen that is currently being renovated which means I have a garage full of cornice, plasterboard and cabinets that is keeping from brewing the beer that bought me here in the first place! I know, I should just HTFU, but life gets in the way and the cooking is the wind down time....

This is the Macaron recipe I used;

Biscuit Ingredients

• 90 grams of egg whites, at room temperature*
  • 125 grams of ground almonds or almond flour
  • 125 grams of icing sugar
  • 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 125 grams of caster sugar
* It's best if you age your egg whites a couple of days before making the macaron. Make sure the white is super clean or it won't beat properly, just like pav.

Butter Cream Ingredients

• 325 grams bittersweet chocolate (I used the Whittakers Dark Ghana)
  • 300 grams of double cream
  • 75 grams of unsalted butter
Method

1. Heat your oven to 220C, place the shelf just below centre.

2. Blitz the icing sugar, almonds and cocoa until really fine, and I mean really superfine or the biscuits will be really grainy in texture.

3. Put your egg white in a super clean bowl and begin to beat until it's light and fluffy and gradually start adding the sugar a spoon full at a time. Beat in between additions well. once the sugar is all in continue to beat until you get stiff peaks. It should hold a peak up like a birds beak.

4. Fold the almond/sugar mix into the egg white being careful not to overmix it. It should come out glossy and lava like so when you drop it from a pastry knife it forms a ribbon. not a glob.

5. Pipe walnut size dollops onto a flat baking tray lined with two layers of baking paper. When you have them on there, pick the tray up and smack it on the bench, but not too hard. Just to flatten them slightly. You have to leave them on a bench in the open now for about half an hour or until they form a bit of a skin on top. This helps them rise and form the 'foot'.

6. Place in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 140C and continue to bake for 23 minutes. This is fiddly and because everyone's oven is different, you may need to play with it. In the end, when cooled fully, they should finish with a crust on the top, and slightly on the bottom and still have a chewy consistency in the centre.

7. Remove macarons from the oven. Lift the paper slightly while spraying a small amount of water onto the hot tray and let the paper fall back. The steam produced by the water will allow the macarons to come off easily once they have cooled

8. To make the butter, bring the cream to the boil and pour over the broken up chocolate in a bowl. Mix until chocolate is dissolved and then add diced butter. Stir until the butter is fully dissolved. The first time I did this I didn't work quick enough and ended up having to heat the bowl over a simmering saucepan to get all the butter to dissolve. Once it's smooth and sliky, let it cool out and thicken. Once cooled to a margarine like consistency, spoon about a teaspoon full on half a biscuit and then place the other half on top and twist and push until you manipulate the chocolate butter evenly.

9. Place in an airtight container and regrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Really, I didn't find them that hard to make if you follow the recipe closely. I gather it's not something you can go 'Ah that's close enough' with, especially with the amount of egg white.

Bon Apetit!

Oh and Muggus, that pie looks awesome, mate! I'm going to have to give that a crack next time I have left over Massaman... :D

So when you say age the egg whites do you mean crack and seperate and leave in fridge?

So when you say age the egg whites do you mean crack and seperate and leave in fridge?

Yep, separate and either fridge them or just leave them on the bench covered in plastic wrap if it's cool enough. If you do fridge them, pull them out and leave them out to get up to room temp for at least an hour before you try to beat them.

Yep, separate and either fridge them or just leave them on the bench covered in plastic wrap if it's cool enough. If you do fridge them, pull them out and leave them out to get up to room temp for at least an hour before you try to beat them.

Just llike a pav....

Hey thanks for that schooey. They don't look too hard to make, and not too many ingredients involved. Will deffiently try them out.

I lived in Rennes, France for 6 months during uni. One of the regional specialities is a galette. A savoury pancake made with buckwheat flour.

A cheap dinner was a galette filled with ham, egg and cheese followed by a crepe (my favourite was chocolate filled) washed down with some local Breton cider at one of the many creperies.

When i finally returned a few years ago i picked up a recipe book and only last week stumbled on buckwheat flour at the local health food shop.

This was yesterdays breakfast and todays lunch. A galette with ham, egg and parmesan (if i was being authentic i would have used gruyere).

Not masterchef by any stretch and may not look impressive to those who post here but it one of the meals that instantly transports you back to a place in your memory. I almost cried i was both so happy that the flavour was the way i remembered but also sad that its been 4 years since i was there last.

galette.jpg

EDIT - spelling

Hey Dr S,

Bung up a recipe. Wouldn't mind getting a bottle or two of French cider and tucking into some of those.

Eventually I'll be trying my hand at some naturally fermented ciders but until I get there I'll be happy with a Normandy cidre bouche from a relatively local bottle shop

I lived in Rennes, France for 6 months during uni. One of the regional specialities is a galette. A savoury pancake made with buckwheat flour.
Not masterchef by any stretch and may not look impressive to those who post here but it one of the meals that instantly transports you back to a place in your memory. I almost cried i was both so happy that the flavour was the way i remembered but also sad that its been 4 years since i was there last.

Kinda like what i had for breakfast yesterday. Brings back fond memories of breakfasts when travelling in SE Asia. Kaya Toast (egg/coconut spread) with chunks of butter along with Malay/Singapore style 1/2 boiled eggs (put two room temperature eggs into a pyrex and cover with freshly/still boiling water and leave for 7 mins.) They come out just underdone and are mopped up by the Kaya Toast. served with an espresso. :icon_drool2:

Not my pics as im half way through my 1st slice of toast beofre the second has been buttered! :beerbang:

Ya_Kun_Kaya_Toast___Eggs.JPG
Ya_Kun_Kaya_Toast___Kaya_Toast.JPG

Hey Dr S,

Bung up a recipe. Wouldn't mind getting a bottle or two of French cider and tucking into some of those.

Eventually I'll be trying my hand at some naturally fermented ciders but until I get there I'll be happy with a Normandy cidre bouche from a relatively local bottle shop

500g buckwheat flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 jug water (this is what the recipe called for, got to love when things get lost in translation)
1 cup milk

Mixed the flour, salt and egg together and added the milk. Beat till combined then ramp the speed up and add water slowly until you get a thick mayonnaise type consistency. Beat for 10 mins. It should be much thinner and batter like. If its not add more water. I used ~500 mL of water all up but only add as much as you need.

Let sit overnight, covered, at room temp. The next morning give it a quick beat and add 3 tbsp of oil.

Cook as you would a normal pancake in a buttered non stick pan.

I cook them all first then add one back to the pan, top with a few slices of ham, some grated cheese and break an egg on top. Season with pepper (no salt as the ham is salty enough) and fold up the edges. Cook on low until the egg is to your liking. Traditionally its cooked only until the white has set. The base will be slightly crispy.

And yes, a good french cider to wash it down.

was going to do a nice roast mutton on the weekend but the butcher didnt end up getting one in. so i changed the menu to slow cooked greek lamb. 4hrs slow roasting after 48hrs marinating (white wine, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, fresh parsley and fresh oregano)

terrible veg shot. the potatoes went in with the lamb and slow cvooked for about 2hrs and soaked up so much flavour. the lemon wedges i had in there almost dissolved and the rinds caramalised and were almost completely edible. standard veg of potato, pumpkin, carrot, onion
roast_veg.jpg

the lamb come out beautifully. i just flaked it off the bone.
IMG_0388.jpg

served up with sides of reduced pan juices and pan juice gravy and lots of peas. the gravy was so good the girls just about only wanted to eat gravy, so all 3 of us (my wife frowns upon this tendency of mine), finished a peice of bread completely smoothered with gravy :icon_drool2:

oh and all washed down with my last bottle of Brands of Coonawarra 1998 Cab Merlot

500g buckwheat flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 jug water (this is what the recipe called for, got to love when things get lost in translation)
1 cup milk

Mixed the flour, salt and egg together and added the milk. Beat till combined then ramp the speed up and add water slowly until you get a thick mayonnaise type consistency. Beat for 10 mins. It should be much thinner and batter like. If its not add more water. I used ~500 mL of water all up but only add as much as you need.

Let sit overnight, covered, at room temp. The next morning give it a quick beat and add 3 tbsp of oil.

Cook as you would a normal pancake in a buttered non stick pan.

I cook them all first then add one back to the pan, top with a few slices of ham, some grated cheese and break an egg on top. Season with pepper (no salt as the ham is salty enough) and fold up the edges. Cook on low until the egg is to your liking. Traditionally its cooked only until the white has set. The base will be slightly crispy.

And yes, a good french cider to wash it down.

Great stuff. Cheers mate.

I actually managed to do some cooking over the weekend.

Friday night was a quick chicken couscous with green beans and ras-el-hanout

IMG_1723.jpg
IMG_1724.jpg

Saturday I did as I threatened and made ousso bucco

Dredge meat in seasoned flour and brown well

IMG_1729.jpg

Add some onion, garlic white wine and stock

IMG_1730.jpg

Tomato

IMG_1731.jpg

4 hours in a slow oven later

IMG_1734.jpg

Saffron Risotto - onion and rice sweating in some butter and oil with a generous pinch of really good kashmiri saffron.

IMG_1732.jpg

Cook with chicken stock and a big handful of parmesan at the end.

IMG_1735.jpg

Plenty of Gremolata

IMG_1733.jpg

Yum

IMG_1736.jpg

Sunday was shepherd's pie made from minced roo.

IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1744.jpg

I actually managed to do some cooking over the weekend.

Friday night was a quick chicken couscous with green beans and ras-el-hanout

View attachment 39352
View attachment 39353

Saturday I did as I threatened and made ousso bucco

Dredge meat in seasoned flour and brown well

View attachment 39354

Add some onion, garlic white wine and stock

View attachment 39355

Tomato

View attachment 39356

4 hours in a slow oven later

View attachment 39360

Saffron Risotto - onion and rice sweating in some butter and oil with a generous pinch of really good kashmiri saffron.

View attachment 39358

Cook with chicken stock and a big handful of parmesan at the end.

View attachment 39361

Plenty of Gremolata

View attachment 39359

Yum

View attachment 39362

Sunday was shepherd's pie made from minced roo.

View attachment 39363
View attachment 39364

Now Im not a fussy girl when it comes to food well not food that has being cooked properly. I just can't get my head around cous cous. Maybe I have not had it cooked properly and I have never attempted it.

Osso Bucco I have being threatening to make that all Winter... I love love gremolata it just brightens up slow cooked food which can become heavy...

I love putting gnocci as my top for shepards pie... I must admit not home made gnocci either! lol!

spag bol for us tonight!

Now Im not a fussy girl when it comes to food well not food that has being cooked properly. I just can't get my head around cous cous. Maybe I have not had it cooked properly and I have never attempted it.

Osso Bucco I have being threatening to make that all Winter... I love love gremolata it just brightens up slow cooked food which can become heavy...

I love putting gnocci as my top for shepards pie... I must admit not home made gnocci either! lol!

spag bol for us tonight!

CousCous is fantastic once you get the hang of it. Its very easy to add too much liquid and have it come out horrible and soggy. Its a fantastic thing for a fast dinner. It cooks in literally 3 minutes. That whole dinner tool less than 10 minutes to prepare and cook.

The trick is to use equal parts by weight of liquid and couscous. It will look like you are using far too little but it works. Easiest way to cook it is to brown a little onion in some oil in a saucepan. Chuck in some cumin seeds. Add 250ml water. Bring it up to a boil. Add 250g couscous. Turn off heat, cover and let it stem for 3 mins. Add a dollop of olive oil or ghee and stir through with a fork to break up any lumps. Done.

You can also add some spices to the mix if you want - ras-el-hanout, bharaht or chermoula work well. Chuck them in with the cumin seeds. Fresh parsley chopped through is nice. You can get fancy and add some lemon juice or preserved lemon...

Cheers
Dave

Here 'tis Katie

Ringburner Chicken(tm)

The marinade
4 orange haberneros
4 spring onions
3 cloves garlic
3cm piece of ginger
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp whole allspice berries
juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice

A few kilo of chicken thighs chopped in 2. Add marinade and leave a few hours or overnight. BBQ.

Thank you YUM!

Here 'tis Katie

Ringburner Chicken(tm)

The marinade
4 orange haberneros
4 spring onions
3 cloves garlic
3cm piece of ginger
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp whole allspice berries
juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice

A few kilo of chicken thighs chopped in 2. Add marinade and leave a few hours or overnight. BBQ.

Latest posts

Back