What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P7010009.JPG

Had a pretty bog standard beef stew in the slow cooker tonight, and followed it up with a sticky date pudding with almond praline and a quinnell of double cream

Had a pretty bog standard beef stew in the slow cooker tonight, and followed it up with a sticky date pudding with almond praline and a quinnell of double cream

Preparing for masterchef schooey? :beerbang:

Hahahaha.. I doubt it! I don't think I cry enough...

mash, carrots and brocolli with veal snitchell. Nothing like a good mash!

dinner_05_07_10.jpg

French Toast, Bacon And Maple Syrup

agh one of my favourites !
beautifully presented as well.

Is that the recipe going round with orange zest,
vanilla essence etc in the mix ?

Cheers :beerbang:

French Toast, Bacon And Maple Syrup

Oh yum.

Have you ever tried than combination with the addition of a fresh mango during summer? Bacon syrup and mango is awesome.

I've been too busy to cook over the last few weeks. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms now. I'll have to pull my finger out and cook something spacial over the weeked. Maybe some ousso bucco..

agh one of my favourites !
beautifully presented as well.

Is that the recipe going round with orange zest,
vanilla essence etc in the mix ?

Cheers :beerbang:

No that is just a basic egg and milk mix I do put pepper and salt in it as I like the salty sweet taste. But orange zest and vanilla sounds good.

Oh yum.

Have you ever tried than combination with the addition of a fresh mango during summer? Bacon syrup and mango is awesome.

I've been too busy to cook over the last few weeks. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms now. I'll have to pull my finger out and cook something spacial over the weeked. Maybe some ousso bucco..

Yum sounds like it would work. I love mixing fruit or berries with meat

Ive being talking about ousso bucco for awhile now! Should really do it myself. I might do a white one though!

Disclaimer this recipe does not lower cholesterol,
but is damn tasty makes a sort of French custard out of the bread.

courtesy Fast Ed Canadian style French toast:

for the custard
6 eggs xtra large free range
~400ml or more cream
200gm sugar -no bs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I like at least 2)
zest of 2 oranges

Crispy bacon rashers and drowned in maple syrup.

Originally served with whipped cream as well; too much for me,
sometimes do this for others.

I've been avoiding posting on this thread because I get damn hungry every time I look at it! But i've been busy the last week, concocting the odd thing in the kitchen.

Cake_002.jpg
Rich Chocolate Orange Cake
Got some crushed cashews and Scotch soaked raisins in there for good measure

100_2287.jpg
Homemade Thai Mussaman Beef Pie
Made this a couple of times before. Really happy with the consistency of the pastry this time. Like to mix it up after making a huge batch of Mussaman.

That pie looks the ducks nuts!

Do you have a pastry recipe Muggus?
Cheers!

Alot of pie recipes called for both shortcrust AND puff pastry (puff for the top of the pie).
I seriously couldn't be assed making 2 batches of pastry for it, so I stuck with this basic shortcrust recipe:
------------------------
Ingredients
1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
125g unsalted butter, chilled, finely chopped
1 egg, chilled

Method
Process flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Whisk egg and 1 tbs chilled water in a bowl until combined, then with food processor motor running, add to flour mixture. Process until mixture begins to form large clumps, stopping machine before mixture forms a ball.

Turn pastry out on to a work surface and knead gently to bring together. Form into a disc for a round tart or into a log shape for a rectangular tart. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
------------------------

I added a bit more water than 1 tablespoon, morelike 3. Depends on how thick the mix is really.
Baked it at 180 degrees for about an hour, until golden brown. Brushed a bit of egg wash on the top for shine.
Was nice and crumbly but kept its shape really well.

I've been avoiding posting on this thread because I get damn hungry every time I look at it! But i've been busy the last week, concocting the odd thing in the kitchen.

View attachment 39217
Rich Chocolate Orange Cake
Got some crushed cashews and Scotch soaked raisins in there for good measure

View attachment 39218
Homemade Thai Mussaman Beef Pie
Made this a couple of times before. Really happy with the consistency of the pastry this time. Like to mix it up after making a huge batch of Mussaman.

Welcome to the thread where have you being??? the cake and the pie looks delicous would of loved to see the pie cut open though! Keep them coming.

Cheers!

Alot of pie recipes called for both shortcrust AND puff pastry (puff for the top of the pie).
I seriously couldn't be assed making 2 batches of pastry for it, so I stuck with this basic shortcrust recipe:
------------------------
Ingredients
1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
125g unsalted butter, chilled, finely chopped
1 egg, chilled

Method
Process flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Whisk egg and 1 tbs chilled water in a bowl until combined, then with food processor motor running, add to flour mixture. Process until mixture begins to form large clumps, stopping machine before mixture forms a ball.

Turn pastry out on to a work surface and knead gently to bring together. Form into a disc for a round tart or into a log shape for a rectangular tart. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
------------------------

I added a bit more water than 1 tablespoon, morelike 3. Depends on how thick the mix is really.
Baked it at 180 degrees for about an hour, until golden brown. Brushed a bit of egg wash on the top for shine.
Was nice and crumbly but kept its shape really well.

Thanks for the recipe.

I have some nice sized ramekins so think i will use them to make individual pies - i assume you need a mould to hold its shape or do you blind bake it first?

I have some nice sized ramekins so think i will use them to make individual pies - i assume you need a mould to hold its shape or do you blind bake it first?
Definately need a mould.
I baked this one in a casserole dish lined with grease-proof paper. Something like a ramekin would be perfect.

P7040011__2_.JPG

P7040019.jpg

Dessert consisted of a Murray's Heart of Darkness and a couple of Chocolate Macaroons. I can't wait for Masterchef to be over.... I'm starting to get sick of "Ohhhhhh, Dad! Can you make those? Please! Please! Please! Please!...."

View attachment 39262

View attachment 39263

Dessert consisted of a Murray's Heart of Darkness and a couple of Chocolate Macaroons. I can't wait for Masterchef to be over.... I'm starting to get sick of "Ohhhhhh, Dad! Can you make those? Please! Please! Please! Please!...."

Hey Schooey that look great. Just wondering if you got the recipe handy. I always see these things on masterchef and how hard they reckon they are to make. Any way i have never tried them before and would like to. And yours are looking pretty good.

Latest posts

Back