What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw those the other day in Kmart and wondered what they were like. Might get the grill pan! Im not in the position of spending to much these day son cookware. Would rather a pair of heels!

Well I don't wear heels so...

The whole set cost us less than $100, maybe even less than 80 from memory so there was some left for heels for the wife. Wearing those is one of her jobs :)

Well I don't wear heels so...

The whole set cost us less than $100, maybe even less than 80 from memory so there was some left for heels for the wife. Wearing those is one of her jobs :)

are they reddy orange coloured cookware???? There also quite heavy?

That's them. I'd say definitley more red than orange. But nice and heavy.
We've had ours for a couple of years now and they are going strong.

There's some pics of the rectangular baking dish in use in this thread

chicken stewy kind of thing - cheap cheerful and full of flavour

chicken.jpg

heavy dish, 240C oven for 60min
chicken thighs in chunks
semi dried tomatoes, bit of fresh tomato
50/50 white wine and stock
fresh herbs (oraganeo etc)
thinly sliced onions
garlic and lots of pepper and salt.
kipfler potatos (or any waxy potato)
whack it all in (or brown off chicken, deglaze, then add the rest).

with dutch carrots and fresh peas.

edit: forgot the fresh bread to mop up the gravy

Bit of a culinary weekend so far...

Friday night started simple with a nice chicken and mushroom risotto with silverbeet -

IMG_1589.jpg

Then an octopus Tagine on Saturday (based on a traditional fish Tagine recipe. I have never seen any references to things like octopus or squid from Morocco. i am wondering whether it is a Muslim food restriction thing) -

All the ingredients assembled in the Tagine

IMG_1590.jpg

Lid on for a few hours

IMG_1591.jpg

The finished product

IMG_1592.jpg

With some fresh peas to serve

IMG_1593.jpg

The missus made home made vanilla slices for dessert (first attempt ever.. not quite there ascetically but :icon_drool2: )

IMG_1597.jpg

Tonight was pot roast.

Speck, tomato, onion, garlic, tomato, red wine and paprika for the sauce (sorry about the steam).

IMG_1598.jpg

4 hours later falling apart tender.

IMG_1599.jpg

Served with pollenta

IMG_1600.jpg

Sauce thickened with flour and some zucchini thrown in for greens

IMG_1603.jpg

The missus was on dessert duty again - dirty bottom pudding (made with home made plum jam :icon_drool2: )

IMG_1605.jpg

With clotted cream (darn white cream on white plates... does not work well with flash)

IMG_1608.jpg

Wonder what I'll do tomorrow night...

Cheers
Dave

Pig stomach last night. Was actually pretty tasty.

@ Airgead

Muslims can eat any fish.

It's only land animals that need to be halal as afar as i am aware.

As usual, your food looks so good.

Lunch today is home-made carrot and coriander soup with home-made sourdough. Perfect for this time of the year (had to shower at work this morning as hot water pipes frozen)

@ Airgead

Thanks for that. It was somethign that puzzled me. I can find heaps of Moroccan fish recipes but none at all using seafood (crab, squid, octopus, etc). Not authintic ones anyway. Given that Morocco has a coastline you would expect they would eat anything they drag up in the nets. The only reason I could think of for them avoiding things with tentacles was some dietary restriction.

Maybe they just don't like them.

Cheers
Dave

Nicest steak I have had in a long time.

Teriyaki Steak with Wasabi butter and vegetables... YUM

steak.jpg

My wife's just informed me these are on special at Kmart at the moment, at least in Brisbane, so might be worth checking out.

Ben

Katie: Thanks for the kind words... :)

Airgead: Love your food, mate, simple and ultra tasty... love it

Really enjoy this thread, lots of food for thought (hopeless pun I know)

23062010.jpg

Can't take credit for this one though... was invited to a bit of a celebratory dinner at Gaucho's in Adelaide this week... A 650g Wagyu Eye Fillet... grain fed, dry aged and absolutely freakin' delicious! Although it would want to be, I could have bought the ingredients to brew a double batch of 11% stout for what it cost...

@ Airgead

As usual, your food looks so good.

Lunch today is home-made carrot and coriander soup with home-made sourdough. Perfect for this time of the year (had to shower at work this morning as hot water pipes frozen)

Are you sure? I was under the impression that at least some shellfish were no good in either halal or kosher dietary requirements

Old mate wikipedia tells me sunnis are happy with all seafood but shia/shi'ite law corresponds with kosher/kashrut (which forbids the consumption of sea creatures that don't have scales and fins).

Are you sure? I was under the impression that at least some shellfish were no good in either halal or kosher dietary requirements

Old mate wikipedia tells me sunnis are happy with all seafood but shia/shi'ite law corresponds with kosher/kashrut (which forbids the consumption of sea creatures that don't have scales and fins).

That could well explain the lack of tentacled goodness in Moroccan cooking.

Cheers
Dave

Katie: Thanks for the kind words... :)

Airgead: Love your food, mate, simple and ultra tasty... love it

Really enjoy this thread, lots of food for thought (hopeless pun I know)

View attachment 38994

Can't take credit for this one though... was invited to a bit of a celebratory dinner at Gaucho's in Adelaide this week... A 650g Wagyu Eye Fillet... grain fed, dry aged and absolutely freakin' delicious! Although it would want to be, I could have bought the ingredients to brew a double batch of 11% stout for what it cost...

Was there a few months ago and a mate ordered one - $85 from memory.

that said, the non wagyu steak there is nearly $50.

Happy to be corrected, my Muslim mates are Malaysian so maybe their interpretation is different, we tend not to talk about religion.

Not really surprising since there are 1000s of variants of Christianity which vary (from what i can tell) only in what colour the paedophiles priests outfit is....

Not a great photo... but yummy.

Pork with Mushroom and Marsala sauce, roast vegetables and salad

PorkMarala.jpg

Back