What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wild rabbit stew :icon_drool2: . Nearly had me in tears (honestly). I haven't had a wild rabbit stew since my Grandpa passed away 22 years ago and seeing your stew I could smell it and taste in my mind.

Well done Airgead looks sensational (and thanks for the very fond memory :icon_cheers: ).

BTW was the bread home made? looks like rye?

Wagyu roast with veges and whole garlic bulb on the side. Red wine gravy...(I added more gravy after the photo, just to finish it off of course...)

wagroast.jpg

Wild rabbit stew :icon_drool2: . Nearly had me in tears (honestly). I haven't had a wild rabbit stew since my Grandpa passed away 22 years ago and seeing your stew I could smell it and taste in my mind.

Well done Airgead looks sensational (and thanks for the very fond memory :icon_cheers: ).

BTW was the bread home made? looks like rye?

It was home made... but not rye. Wholemeal.

Everyone should eat rabbit. The only good rabbit is a dead rabbit and the best use for a dead dead rabbits is in a stew.

Our butcher sells them. Wild harvested. Check with yours.. you never know.

Cheers
Dave

fillet.jpg

We had cow here tonight, too... Eye Fillet on a bed of Sweet Potato mash with sweated corn and carrot, roasted onion and a red wine jus

nice pie schooey. love a really hardcore lemon merangue pie.

Pizza was up on the table at my place on the weekend. check out the pizza thread

edit:
love rabbit. i remember years ago when my old man was still in the chef game, he made up about 150 rabbit and turkey witha white sauce pies for xmas at the resturant (the Red Castle in Perth when it still had 5 golden plates). They sold about 50 of them and the rest we got at home. Rabbit and turkey pies for months. they were awsome.

Schooey your meals always looks so so nice! You are the dessert king!

Now I wish I took a photo of my aromatic lamb shank stew! served with mace mash potato.

left overs with fresh bread tonight!

Some damn fine cooks in this thread.

Rabbit stew looks delicious Dave - might have to get myself some bunnies soon.

We have bunny stews every year on the boys annual camping trip.

Rabbit is wild...... was wild.

Slow cooked in the camp stove with people adding various sloshes of beer/wine/port over the several hours it cooks.

The pot doesn't get cleaned for 5 days, just topped up with more bunny (or ducks) and slow cooked.

Along with 4 kegs of my beer we do it pretty damn rough. :icon_drool2:

Hard to tell in the photos but are any of you guys cooking with cast iron cookware?

I was thinking of picking one or two items up to try out and was wondering what the go would be on them, costs, care, where to get etc.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hard to tell in the photos but are any of you guys cooking with cast iron cookware?

I was thinking of picking one or two items up to try out and was wondering what the go would be on them, costs, care, where to get etc.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

http://www.lecreuset.com.au/home.cms

Is the best but very expensive. $400 for a average dutch oven. I think I got mine on sale for around $290.00. Works really well and cleans so easily. I also have the fry pan which was around $200.00 ive never being happy with it myself its to heavy for me but once again easy to clean.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I use a large cast iron la cruiset casserole. Bougt on special somewhere for about 1/4 of its regular price. I also have ther gratin dishes (fantastic), a terrine mould (laso fantastic) and a small frying pan (not so fantastic). They are expensive and heavy but very nice.

My regular frying pans are commercial black iron pans. Kept well seasoned they are perfectly non stick, will last forever and are a fraction of the price of regular non stick cookware. I think I paid $30 for my large pan at a commercial kitchenware place.

The only problem I have with the cast iron is that the missus finds it difficult to use as it is so heavy.

Cheers
Dave

http://www.lecreuset.com.au/home.cms

Is the best but very expensive. $400 for a average dutch oven. I think I got mine on sale for around $290.00. Works really well and cleans so easily. I also have the fry pan which was around $200.00 ive never being happy with it myself its to heavy for me but once again easy to clean.
le creuset are the shit. if i could afford the $ thats what i'd buy

Le Chasseur are also a good brand.

Some people swear by Lodge (US brand).

I'm still looking for a large cast oblong fish fry pan to do a whole mangrove jack in if anybody has any ideas.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

All those linked too below are quality items and will serve you well. If I was serious enough, and had more money I'd go for those...

I picked up some from KMart which are of far inferior quality but gee they work well. They aren't that same black non stick inside but the clean off super easy even after 3+ hours in the oven.
I've got a casserole, a wider, smaller in height whatever it is, and a rectangular one.
I tend to use the casserole mainly for curries these days, the slow cookers gets used for casserole type dishes but for no real reason I still prefer my curries in the casserole.

All those linked too below are quality items and will serve you well. If I was serious enough, and had more money I'd go for those...

I picked up some from KMart which are of far inferior quality but gee they work well. They aren't that same black non stick inside but the clean off super easy even after 3+ hours in the oven.
I've got a casserole, a wider, smaller in height whatever it is, and a rectangular one.
I tend to use the casserole mainly for curries these days, the slow cookers gets used for casserole type dishes but for no real reason I still prefer my curries in the casserole.

Same same.

Picked up mine during one of the Harris Scarfe stupid sales - 70% off so paid $80 for something that weighs a metric shitload. It's not non stick inside but I've never had any issue cleaning it. Not sure of its capacity but 3 kg of meat, spuds, carrots etc etc plus 2 bottles of wine and its half full.

Made beef bourguignon on Monday night, cooked for 4 hours then left outside overnight (<3C) and re heated the next night for dinner. :icon_drool2:

I saw those the other day in Kmart and wondered what they were like. Might get the grill pan! Im not in the position of spending to much these day son cookware. Would rather a pair of heels!

Latest posts

Back