Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My award winning Ordinary Bitter
003.JPG

Today I am drinking my ESB, trying to capture the elusive Holgate ESB, very close with the Target bittering hops, Ella also close, brewing again Saturday using the Super Pride purchased from Brewman. Going to go over the BJCP IBU guide lines to achieve the lingering bitterness.
002.JPG

Was asked to make a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale, I made it and my neighbour brought a bottle of the genuine ale to compare. Glad he did, solved a problem I have had with the Holgate ESB.
1598337823012.png

Pacific Ale clone, added some crystal, quite a bit darker, dry hopped at a fairly high rate so more Galaxy coming through, mashed at 67 C more mouth feel. If I made it again would mash lower, dry hop with less hops no crystal. Neighbour was more than happy.
Why did it help me in pursuit of the Holgate ESB ? I have been following BJCP guide lines for the style! Holgate load up the bittering hops, they aren't following guide lines just making a great beer.

Was asked to make a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale, I made it and my neighbour brought a bottle of the genuine ale to compare. Glad he did, solved a problem I have had with the Holgate ESB.
View attachment 118870
Pacific Ale clone, added some crystal, quite a bit darker, dry hopped at a fairly high rate so more Galaxy coming through, mashed at 67 C more mouth feel. If I made it again would mash lower, dry hop with less hops no crystal. Neighbour was more than happy.
Why did it help me in pursuit of the Holgate ESB ? I have been following BJCP guide lines for the style! Holgate load up the bittering hops, they aren't following guide lines just making a great beer.
For S&W Pacific Ale try slow ramp from 50C to 64 over about 20 min and hold 64.4 for 70 min. Mash out probably not necessary but I always do it, raise to 76C then sparge. Electricity much cheaper than LPG so that is the reason I always mash out. If you have any Voyager left, Pale Schooner or Atlas work well for this.

Yes realised it was lower mash temperature, I doubt very much I will make it again, not something I would drink myself. I think it was Compass, I used with a fair whack of wheat, plus the bit of crystal which wasn't needed.

The Pacific Ale fail is very tasty, thinking of making this again, but different, same hop schedule take out the wheat and replace with Munich to balance the hops more with malt.
008.JPG

Tonight I am drinking (too much) one long neck of Irish extra stout.
001.JPG
002.JPG

Followed by a couple of stubby's of Zombie Dust, (I will be glad to see the back of this)
004.JPG

Two stubby's of Best Bitter, and that's my lot for the night.

This evening, and a cold evening it is, will not be a big session owing to the ABV of the beers.
Tropical stout, emanating the feeling of warmth as it goes down.
010.JPG
And a good head retention, not quite a Sri Lankan Lion Stout but very warming.
001.JPG
The Historical Bitter, becoming a favourite, will be brewing this again very soon.
002.JPG

Latest posts

Back