Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1494662834684.jpg
Ryeless pale ale based on Nullnvoid's stellar recipe but with Citra and simco. Cube hopped, went about 5.4% andtried to hit a balance where it wasn't IPA hop overloa and had some malt behind it. Well, bang on. Crafty citrus flavour without being a fruit punch and easy enough to have a few in a row. Too hazy for my liking, 1272 makes for a hop showcase but it's not the first time it's been murky. Still, Citra and simcoe what a combo.

@Cam, I got really good efficiency and didn't need the dextrose in the end (but do want to try it still) the IBU is unknown really, it starts off sweetish and full bodied then there's just enough bitterness to pull it back into shape. I doubt it got to 41IBU tho it's hard to tell, I have a Barbe Rouge dry-hopped version carbing now btw

Title: 90 mi super-dry

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: German Pilsner (Pils)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 44 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 55 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.02%
IBU (tinseth): 41.37
SRM (morey): 2.78

FERMENTABLES:
7.6 kg - German - Pilsner (91.6%)
0.5 kg - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (6%)
0.2 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (2.4%)

HOPS:
60 g - perle, Type: Fresh, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 24.76
91.67 g - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Fresh, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 16.61

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 62 C, Time: 240 min, Amount: 21.1 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 4 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 each - dry enzyme, Time: 10080 min, Type: Other, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 16 C

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100
Water Notes:

Straight adaption of Tony's Little Creatures Bright Ale clone for my system, only variance was slightly better extraction efficiency than I planned for so it came out at 5.0%.

The beer is exactly what I was after - a light quaffer for guests that won't offend with too much hop aroma, but has just enough going on that I'll keep going back for more myself

Screenshot_20170514-093849.png

The S-189 at 19°C euro lager knock off.
Was great on day 1. Fantastic now, just under three weeks in the keg. I've tried a liquid lager strain at 16 before. It was good on day 1, but developed into a fruit cup cordial over time. Not this one. Happy.
I've been up since a damsel in distress called me at 4 this morning to go pick her up and drop her home - 1 hour return trip..
So, I'm needing this.

image1 (36).jpg

droid said:
@Cam, I got really good efficiency and didn't need the dextrose in the end (but do want to try it still) the IBU is unknown really, it starts off sweetish and full bodied then there's just enough bitterness to pull it back into shape. I doubt it got to 41IBU tho it's hard to tell, I have a Barbe Rouge dry-hopped version carbing now btw

Title: 90 mi super-dry
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: dry ale with lager hops and mash temp
IBU (tinseth): 41.37

HOPS:
60 g - perle, Type: Fresh, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 24.76
91.67 g - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Fresh, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 16.61
There's no way this was / is 40 ibu and was never meant to be more than 30 I must have allowed more for the flowers but it's not bitter, I wouldn't say it got to 30...sorry can't even get the deets right on my own recipe!

droid said:
There's no way this was / is 40 ibu and was never meant to be more than 30 I must have allowed more for the flowers but it's not bitter, I wouldn't say it got to 30...sorry can't even get the deets right on my own recipe!
Come the warmer months I am thinking about doing something dry with an easy grain bill and chinook flowers. Cant decide if the flowers will be a kettle addition late or cube. Leaning towards kettle and living 1 cube aside with flowers. Ferment with a lager strain for the old fella.

I recently brewed a mid-red ale. mashed at 52/70/72/78 for 10/40/10/10 and even with that schedule and a medium attenuating English strain, it hit 1.007. The real tasting results I'll post with a pic in this thread but preliminary tastings were good. The grain bill was inspired by Mofox's Thirsty Monk recipe.

Midnight Brew said:
I recently brewed a mid-red ale. mashed at 52/70/72/78 for 10/40/10/10 and even with that schedule and a medium attenuating English strain, it hit 1.007. The real tasting results I'll post with a pic in this thread but preliminary tastings were good. The grain bill was inspired by Mofox's Thirsty Monk recipe.
And here she is.

1045 diluted to 1038 because I needed a mid in the keezer and I diluted it down to steal wort for starters. 1038 down to 1006 = 4.2% at 84% attenuation with WLP022 Essex ale. Grain bill was heavily inspired by Mofox's Thirsty Monk.

75% Pearl
25% Abbey
5% Special B
0.5 BU with EKG mostly FWH and some in the cube.

The sweetness is very reminiscent of my 70/- recipe which I absolutely love. With 3x 11L cubes left, one is destined for 1728 and the other two Belgians as designed.

Taste is no where near as dry as the gravity reads. The hop balance is tame enough to let those malt flavours shine through while still leaving the flavour interesting and simple.

I know I lost some colour with dilution but next time I'll manipulate colour with either roasted malt or go 10% with Spec B, as I've done that many times with Caraaroma and had lovely results. Currently it is light copper/orange but the target is red. Once that component is nailed down, I'll pretty much have my desired grain bill (with exceptions of base malts) for test recipes, mainly yeast related and come harvest time even hop related.

Not the greatest photo due to artificial lighting but will post again later in the weekend when I go back for more.
IMG_0784.JPG

I must say this recipe does have some history from about 3 beers Ive brewed before but I think after tasting Mofox's Thirsty Monk case swap beer I was steered in the right direction. Beauty is I'll be drinking something similar to Thirsty Monk through yeast choice (the advantages of no chill).

Mr Invisible. Cream Ale
1/3rd pilsner
1/3rd rice
1/3rd corn

Saaz

Disturbingly translucent. An easy drinker

20170519_191102.jpg

The years been a bit full on with work while studying full time this year unfortunately haven't had much of chance to a brew - Good news is only 25 weeks until I graduate! However, made myself force some room and pumped out three beers a month or so ago.

This is my APA, bittered with simcoe but late & dry hops are cascade and Amarillo. Kegged it last Wednesdsy night. Tasting great and nice beer to drink while I finish off some work for the evening. Probs needs a little extra buttering to balance the hops I threw in fermenter but still happy with it nevertheless.

So great to have beer on tap again!

1495461789557.jpg

American Red Ale hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Modeled on James Squire's Highwayman that they have at The Portland Hotel in Melbourne.

I've been brewing for 13 years and can easily say this is my best beer yet.

IMG_20170524_174055.jpg

Hmmmn a Stone and wood clone , I'm a bit dissapointed slight alcoholic taste and the hop smell is definately muted. I have taken notes but not how long I have fermented for , I do know that I had trouble getting the last few points so I am thinking its been to long post ferment on the trub. As I work away on a 7 on 7 off roster this has now got me paranoid a bit . I have had real quick starting ferments even using dry yeast as I did in this brew. I know my temp control is spot on and I ferment at 18 then raise to 20 to finish off before cold crashing . I dry hopped when I raised to 20 then cold crashed after that . All up would have been no more than two weeks . Last brew I done with galaxy was full of so much smell and flavour (hop schedule completely different though with only a hopstand at 70C and a dry hop ) I'm a bit bummed to be honest and now paranoid that my two current brews have been left to long on trub aswell as they both fired up really quickly using the slurry from this brew .

saw.JPG

cliffo said:
American Red Ale hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Modeled on James Squire's Highwayman that they have at The Portland Hotel in Melbourne.

I've been brewing for 13 years and can easily say this is my best beer yet.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20170524_174055.jpg
I'm yet to brew a good amber. Got any tips or would you mind sharing the recipe?

booker_h, see below mate.

Recipe: Highwayman TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 33.4 EBC
IBU: 36.3 IBUs Tinseth
OG: 1.048 SG
FG: 1.011 SG
BU:GU: 0.751 Calories: 427.1 kcal/l Est ABV: 4.9 %
EE%: 70.00 % Batch: 23.00 l Boil: 28.00 l BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

Total Grain Weight: 5.08 kg Total Hops: 70.00 g oz.

---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.25 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 83.7 %
0.64 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5 12.7 %
0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 %
0.08 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 7 1.6 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 22.00 l of water at 70.9 C 67.0 C 180 min
Mash Out Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 77.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---

Sparge with 9.51 l water at 75.6 C

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG Est OG: 1.048 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 g Northern Brewer [10.10 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 8 5.5 IBUs
15.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Boil Hop 9 5.0 IBUs
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 16.3 IBUs
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 9.5 IBUs

Gloveski said:
All up would have been no more than two weeks .
Two weeks is pretty standard mate, this is definitely not the problem.

How old were the hops? How long had they been open before you put them in this brew?
Did you change your water in any way?

Matplat said:
Two weeks is pretty standard mate, this is definitely not the problem.
How old were the hops? How long had they been open before you put them in this brew?
Did you change your water in any way?
No everything the same only thing I noticed from my notes is I had trouble aerating the wort . I usually use a mega fine sieve that really aerates the wort well and my fermentations fire up quickly. I had bugger all froth on this brew . But checking next day it fired up like all other brews All hops etc were brought from my regular provider so no issues there . I have some more hops coming tomorrow so hoping a dry hop my mask it a bit . Only other thing is I recently changed my water filter not sure if this was done before or after I put this brew down . Regarding water I have only ever measured mash ph and there always between 5.2 to 5.6 . This brew was 5.6 . I'm at a loss but only new to brewing so want to get to the bottom of this if I can

Gloveski said:
No everything the same only thing I noticed from my notes is I had trouble aerating the wort . I usually use a mega fine sieve that really aerates the wort well and my fermentations fire up quickly. I had bugger all froth on this brew . But checking next day it fired up like all other brews All hops etc were brought from my regular provider so no issues there . I have some more hops coming tomorrow so hoping a dry hop my mask it a bit . Only other thing is I recently changed my water filter not sure if this was done before or after I put this brew down . Regarding water I have only ever measured mash ph and there always between 5.2 to 5.6 . This brew was 5.6 . I'm at a loss but only new to brewing so want to get to the bottom of this if I can
Well about 10 hours after dry hop massive difference . I also have been experimenting with a slightly lower pressure . Up this last night and the fresh dry hop beers completely different . Panicked over nothing , or I've masked the issue lol

7891CE8C-902A-47D9-A306-90589ACF40AC.JPG

Session IPA 4.5%
I know IPAs are usually heavier but I wanted a slightly lighter IPA yet still big hops and bitterness. 59 IBUs
Turned out ok, seems to have mellowed a bit since kegging a few weeks ago. I need to learn to age them
Really clean finish which makes it easy to put a few away.
Amarillo, Cascade, Galaxy

Latest posts

Back