Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And so it goes..............

jug 1.jpg
jug 2.jpg
jug 3.jpg
jug 4.jpg

122112.jpg

Cube malt experiment - Kolsch. This one was one of four cubes that got a different variety of specialty malt in the cube - this one was 250g Aromatic.

This cube proved its utility on the day I kegged the last Kolsch I brewed, and I had a tempting cake of yeast sitting there - what the hell, eh?

For whatever reason the Kolsch yeast character seems to get stronger with every batch I run through it. The irony is, the first few beers I ran through the yeast, attempts as geniune Kolsch recipes, I was not very fond of. Not bad, but not great. But the dodgy cubes I dump in there seem to turn out great.

This one has a lot of yeast character - not the usual estery-fruitiness-crap from an abused yeast, this one just gets into tasty mode. I can't say the aromatic malt has done a lot for this, but then again if it wasn't there, it might be a somewhat dull beer. It gets more easy-drinking as it warms. I wonder why that is?

I don't think I'll let it sit long enough this time though.

Saison. It's just been legged, so there's a bit of yeast haze. It tastes like summer, though!

a755819e0881d023e2b10fc04ceae16b_zps4bc401a0.jpg

Cube malt experiment - Kolsch. This one was one of four cubes that got a different variety of specialty malt in the cube - this one was 250g Aromatic.

Mate this is a great idea. Have I missed something on the forum? Did you just crack a few hundred grams of spec and throw it in the cube?

Dunkel wheat. 2 days ago it was a bit boring but its starting to get nice and malty. Lucky, I made 50 litres of it.

image.jpg

Cream ale,this one half froze in my conditioning Chestie,so its a higher ABV Eis Cream Ale @5.6%,bloody nice and drinking wellimage.jpg

West Coast IPA

Formulation tweak on the 2012 AABC IPA Winner. Basically subbed the Wheat LME for wheat malt to take a way a touch of body and some oxidation that seemed to come from the LME.

Hydro at bottling seemed a bit thin, was worried I might have lost balance but it has turned out very well. Very happy. Basic outline of recipe below.

11747437784_60757f6b2f.jpg

2kg

LDME

1kg

Pale Malt

500g

Wheat Malt

200g

caraamber

200g

Munich

100g

Crystal, light

100g

Crystal, dark

400g

Dextrose

15g

Centennial and Magnum (14g), 60min

8g

Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 30min

7g

Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 10min - Flameout

7g

Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS during crash chill

1.5 tsp

Gypsum

2 tsp

Yeast Nutrient

1-Feb

Whirfoc

2pk

US05 rehydrate in water

enjoying half of mine and newtownclown's german wheat. fermented with the amazing weihenstaphan weizen yeast (3068).

not really a wheat beer glass but damn it's a nice drop. was nice in the first week of bottling but now it's just shining.

20140104_184932.jpg

waggastew said:
West Coast IPA

Formulation tweak on the 2012 AABC IPA Winner. Basically subbed the Wheat LME for wheat malt to take a way a touch of body and some oxidation that seemed to come from the LME.

Hydro at bottling seemed a bit thin, was worried I might have lost balance but it has turned out very well. Very happy. Basic outline of recipe below.

11747437784_60757f6b2f.jpg

2kg LDME 1kg Pale Malt 500g Wheat Malt 200g caraamber 200g Munich 100g Crystal, light 100g Crystal, dark 400g Dextrose 15g Centennial and Magnum (14g), 60min 8g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 30min 7g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 10min - Flameout 7g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS during crash chill 1.5 tsp Gypsum 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient 1-Feb Whirfoc 2pk US05 rehydrate in water
that looks a treat mate.

fletcher said:
that looks a treat mate.
Thanks.

Interesting to compare our two photos. Mine is all Aussie backyard - foliage, bricks and Colourbond. Yours is the bright lights and heights of the inner city.

Not bad for three weeks in the bottle! Made from $5 tin of tooheys special draught, left over medium crystal, carapils, wheat and US 05.

1389072465569.jpg

Nice one Bill, bet you wonder why you didn't get into this game earlier :beerbang: :beerbang:

I'm into my Helles, my first lager. It's the reason for my rampant noob posting tonight. A little diacetyl, but malty goodness nonetheless. I never knew how good pale lager could be until I went to Munich and had Augustiner Lagerbier Hell. If anyone knows how to get that in Oz please let me in on the secret! I've never seen it outside Germany. Weihenstephaner Original is on just about on a par though as well, I am simply in awe of that brewery.

Not that my swill is anything close, but it goes down the spout very well on a summer night and looks the part.
View attachment 67612

Attachments

• Mein Helles.jpg
    Mein Helles.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back