Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
louistoo said:
A while ago there was a thread about famous/best clone recipes and the Three Floyd's 'zombie dust' featured prominently as a great clone brew. So I found a feasable recipe on brewtoad and wrote it down, fast forward a few months and with 300g of citra and most of the malts on hand I gave it a crack. So glad I did.
holy crap. with 300gm of citra it must be like bitter fruit juice haha

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464434679.788939.jpg
Amber ale. Rough variant of Pratty's that I posted somewhere in the WAYB thread.
300g of special B to make up for carafa III that I didn't have. Willamette and Cascade, dry hopped in favour of late additions. The aroma is 5 stars, smells really hoppy and pleasant and while not in IPA territory, is balanced well more towards hops than malt. To taste... the special B is the main player here. It has a Belgian 'edge' to it but combined with the US hops it doesn't work like, well, it shouldn't. It even has more of a caramel colour than amber. The hops are a little muted but I think I was expecting more with the aroma. First time using Willamette - dank, bold and unique. Not a huge fan but plays ok with cascade (what doesn't?). 5.4% but by no means overpowering.
Glad I made this beer. It's not bad despite my review but I've learnt about the style. Special B can stay in Belgians. Willamette can stay in the freezer. More late hops and carafa in ambers.

My American Amber Ale V2. 'Ranga's Revenge'. Drinking very nicely after a couple of weeks in the keg. Amariilo and Centennial, mostly late and dry hopped to 35 IBU.

image.jpeg

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464434679.788939.jpg
Amber ale. Rough variant of Pratty's that I posted somewhere in the WAYB thread.
300g of special B to make up for carafa III that I didn't have. Willamette and Cascade, dry hopped in favour of late additions. The aroma is 5 stars, smells really hoppy and pleasant and while not in IPA territory, is balanced well more towards hops than malt. To taste... the special B is the main player here. It has a Belgian 'edge' to it but combined with the US hops it doesn't work like, well, it shouldn't. It even has more of a caramel colour than amber. The hops are a little muted but I think I was expecting more with the aroma. First time using Willamette - dank, bold and unique. Not a huge fan but plays ok with cascade (what doesn't?). 5.4% but by no means overpowering.
Glad I made this beer. It's not bad despite my review but I've learnt about the style. Special B can stay in Belgians. Willamette can stay in the freezer. More late hops and carafa in ambers.
Nice review mate. It's a big thing to post "honest" reviews of our own beers, especially the effort that goes into formulating and making them.

Willamette is fantastic for British style beers, if it helps. Really excellent clean soft earthy bitterer. I made the same mistake with biscuit, amber and something else in an American IPA a few months ago (and it was the last IPA before my surgery came up). I found the same as you - it was an adequate beer, but not what I wanted.

fletcher said:
holy crap. with 300gm of citra it must be like bitter fruit juice haha
It's fruity for sure, It's def. a well formulated recipe though and worth the large amount of citra. I really like the yeast choice in this ipa.

1464481959048.jpg

Drinking a single hopped Topaz Pale Ale while watching the Monaco F1. Originally brewed this a few months ago to discover Topaz and fell in love. Gone back to it to get a feel of what might work in conjunction with it and have a few ideas, but TBH, it's a brilliant hop all in it's own.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464527067.298354.jpg

technobabble66 said:
Tell us more. Please.

And commiserations on watching the F1 [emoji6]
Cascade's an obvious one as it pretty much goes with anything. Other than that I thought a Galaxy Topaz combo may be interesting.

It's not Summer Ale.

Pilsner 80%
Vienna 10%
Flaked Oats 10%

4.5% abv
22 ibu

Easy quaffer, no questions asked.

WP_20160604_003.jpg

mosto said:
Cascade's an obvious one as it pretty much goes with anything. Other than that I thought a Galaxy Topaz combo may be interesting.
I'm about to pair it with ella in an amber... what was your earliest boil addition? I'm starting at 30 mins as I read it could be astringent if used earlier....?

I hate having to fill a few botts after keging but don't mind drinking them bonus when the kegs are emptyImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1465029952.021659.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1465029988.840857.jpg. Best Bitter with challenger & styrians

Aussie Summer Ale

5% ABV
25 IBU

75% Pale Ale
25% Wheat

Galaxy and Summer hops, added at 20 min, 5 min and whirlpool
Recultured Coopers yeast

2016-06-05 18.49.32.jpg

Enjoying my ESB
Maris otter mostly
Northern brewer for bittering, a little EKG and fuggle late
S04