Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Testing" the swap brew.

Stout, lots of amber, brown malt. English for bittering, American for late.

Roast, choc notes. Solid bitterness. Not nearly as warming as the numbers suggest it should be.
1466777516426.jpg

TheWiggman said:
Well I think I've done it. After many attempts I've finally struck what I would consider to be a 'genuine' Aussie lager. Boag's draught is my preferred (second to XXXX Bitter which can't be found 'round these parts) andd I've taken a leaf from their book to make. Stacks of dextrose, late PoR in the boil, and a tidy 1.004 FG to create a beer that would be quench any thirst. Only lagered for 3 weeks at 0°C. This one's not for the hopheads or craft fans, it's a ballsy stinky Aussie lager that needs to be poured below zero to be properly enjoyed. The evidence of the success? I'm on the 3rd schooner on a weeknight, it's just so easy to drink.
This one's going to the NSW comp.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0053.JPG
Where the hell can you not find XXXX??? Are you international???

I'm on my phone so can't see your avatar....

getting to the end of this keg of Märzen

hard to get decent light for a beer pic at night

gotta get some more yeast and get this one on again

My Partial-mash American Pale Ale using a heap of Brooklyn and Galaxy hops. Specs were: IBU 19, ABV 5.0%

Particularly drinks well very young - big flavours of grapefruit and citrus and fruit salad.

Cheers,
Pete

pm-pa-2016.jpg

Matplat said:
Where the hell can you not find XXXX??? Are you international???

I'm on my phone so can't see your avatar....
XXXX Bitter is a Qld only thing, probably available just south of the Qld border but not for the rest of us. The likes of Dan's can get it in by special order at $62/30 can block.

Wow really, I thought the whole (megaswill drinking) country basically ran on XXXX and VB products... I have only lived in qld since I moved to aus though, so hopefully I can be forgiven for my naivety :)

face the strange bitter

86 maris otter
6 crystal
5 wheat
2 amber
1 roast barley
1.044 @ 66c

pride of ringwood 60
willamette 5
35 ibu

s-04 at 18c

my kinda winter beer.
ftsbitter.PNG

It was proper cold last night, and this was just the right level of chewy to fit the bill. My Celtic Red, only problem being, it's not really red, more of a deep coppery colour. I can live with that because it is creamy and delicious.

IMG_2520.JPG

Fraser's BRB said:
It was proper cold last night, and this was just the right level of chewy to fit the bill. My Celtic Red, only problem being, it's not really red, more of a deep coppery colour. I can live with that because it is creamy and delicious.
Recipe, please! :D :chug:

2014 Port Barrel imperial stout. Its a warming 11.5% but its unmistakably fruity from the Port. 9 stubbies left so I'll be holding onto these for as long as i can.

1467243294103.jpg

This was a English Porter care of the Most Raja'ish Lord Goomba. Vanilla on the nose, a bit more bitter than I am used to in a porter although I enjoyed this aspect of the brew. Some coffee in there as well. Top drop, not what I'm used to in a porter, this difference was damn nice though. :beerbang:

IMG_0370.JPG

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Recipe, please! :D :chug:
For those that were asking, my Celtic Red.

Maris Otter 91%
Black Roasted Barley 3%
Dark Crystal 3%
Light Crystal 3%

East Kent Goldings 20 IBU @ 60

S-05

OG 1.053
FG 1.013
5.2% ABV
Mash 60 minutes @ 66 deg
Boil 60 minutes

As I said above, it's delicious, I just wish it was more red and less copper. I might fiddle with the percentages slightly to that end or swap out my Dark Crystal for another brand with lower EBC (BB @ 250EBC) but if it moves too far away from the current flavour profile, I'm happy to leave it where it is.

A bit of redback or caraaroma should get some red in there, I'm sure there's others but these just off the top of my head that I have used!

Back