Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fraser's BRB said:
For those that were asking, my Celtic Red.

Maris Otter 91%
Black Roasted Barley 3%
Dark Crystal 3%
Light Crystal 3%

East Kent Goldings 20 IBU @ 60

S-05

OG 1.053
FG 1.013
5.2% ABV
Mash 60 minutes @ 66 deg
Boil 60 minutes

As I said above, it's delicious, I just wish it was more red and less copper. I might fiddle with the percentages slightly to that end or swap out my Dark Crystal for another brand with lower EBC (BB @ 250EBC) but if it moves too far away from the current flavour profile, I'm happy to leave it where it is.
Gladfield Shepperds Delight throws out a beautiful full red colour but is very sickly sweet imo
you have a mix of 9% being made up of crystal and roast barley - a 96 or 97% ale malt with 3 or 4% (max) gladfield sheppards delight might be very nice
you won't get the roastiness though but will get a kola flavour and easily the same sweetness as the 6% crystal if you change out all your xtal I would not suggest replacing it gram for gram with SD - it punches above its weight

Yeah Shepherds throws a wonderful red colour. Had 3-4% in a sour I made with Gigayeast Sour Cherry Funk and the colour was amazing. I was actually hoping for some cola, mmmm cherry cola... of course the Brett chewed through all the cola!

I just made an amber with 4% shepards delight and 9% red back, can't wait to crack it...

I'm going to brew it again next weekend because I have some yeast to flip from one brew to another, so I'll have a play with the grains and no doubt you'll see the results here at some stage.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a red ale just kegged that uses a combination of Caraaroma and black patent malt which gives a really lovely red colour to it. Not sure if it would be the same flavour profile you've got though. I'll post in this thread tomorrow when I try a glass, and other beers I have on tap too. :)

"Hey man, you want some gear? I got bourbon barrel aged RIS and X-Files IPA and some keg hops ready to go. 25%nelson sauvin/75%mosaic or galactic stricklebract, brother what's your poson?" image.jpg

Oyster Stout.jpg
Here's my Smoked Oyster Stout.
I'll post up a recipe later - hdd is playing up.

Best bitter

29ibu

Ale malt
Munich
Caramunich
Medium crystal

Challenger at 60
Ekg at flameout and dry

MJ Liberty bell at 20deg all the way

Deeeelicious :)

1467367575021.jpg

This was the last of my Pearl malt.

So simple and tasty.

Pearl Malt 90.9 %
Rye Malt 5.5 %
Caramunich III 3.6 %

Citra 30min 8.4 IBUs
Citra 20min 13.2 IBUs
Citra 15min 8.1 IBUs
Citra 5min 3.3 IBUs

ppm
Ca-61
Mg-10
Na-0
Cl-85
SO4-78

Citra Dry hop 2g/l

The keg never lasts very long.

Name suggestions?

Capture.JPG

2014 US Barleywine with homegrown Chinook and Cascade - Been ageing in a keg and just beginning to hit its straps. Hop character is beginning to fade but integrating well with rich malt. Might even keg hop this with a bit of Cascade.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1467528698.025959.jpg

Doctor Smurto's Golden, one of the regulars in my lineup. Converts more megaswill drinkers to good beer than anything else I reckon. It's a gateway beer.

DS.JPG

This one was from Saturday when I was doing my Bo Pils brew day. It's the German style lager I brewed using the 40g of home grown Hallertau flowers I'd harvested from my first year plant earlier in the year. Those went in as a 10 min boil addition. It has turned out really well, I'm quite pleased with the flavour of it, pretty well what I was expecting and wanting from the recipe so it has been a success. :D

13524331_10210257555943901_9003327143369993196_n.jpg

My latest stout, was kegged mid May, nice and roasty with a small hint of chocolate in there as well. Nice thick body too, perfect for a big dark ale. 7% ABV.

13592422_10210276355773885_6627523011352593461_n.jpg

Coodgee said:
Dodgy looking background! Ha ha
:lol: Yeah, that's my corner of the kitchen bench where all my yeast starter stuff and some cleaning agents are. It does look a bit 'interesting' :p

The aforementioned amber.... Red Back Delight Amber.... a bit too much effort required to see the red hue, but its there none the less and it tastes fudging brilliant.

1467881979995.jpg

I love Friday afternoon on school holidays with no sat morning sport.

Time for a..... Let's call it an American Bavarian wheat. Kellerweis yeast with malted wheat. Excuse the condensation.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1467961757.744722.jpg

Back