Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ones a basic porter with saaz and Brooklyn, heavy late and dry hops.
Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast at 20c.
It's very complex, banana on the nose with pepper on the palate and then hop burps. I like it. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1468271930.044190.jpg

Lovely little Belgian Porter from our friend, Lord Raja. Nice light easy drinking porter with what is al;l I can describe is a subtle Belgian thread through it. Very different, very delicious.

IMG_0417.JPG

madpierre06 said:
Lovely little Belgian Porter from our friend, Lord Raja. Nice light easy drinking porter with what is al;l I can describe is a subtle Belgian thread through it. Very different, very delicious.
I didn't realise I gave you the 2nd last bottle. It was really average for the first 2 months and then came nice and surpassed the EP version.

Lallemand Abbaye yeast. Considering I pushed it to 25 degrees, I expected more from the yeast. Likely the last time I use that yeast, Belle Saison or T58 pushed hard would give it the oomph needed.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I didn't realise I gave you the 2nd last bottle. It was really average for the first 2 months and then came nice and surpassed the EP version.

Lallemand Abbaye yeast. Considering I pushed it to 25 degrees, I expected more from the yeast. Likely the last time I use that yeast, Belle Saison or T58 pushed hard would give it the oomph needed.
Mate, to be honest, it was lovely as is, maybe a nice base to use for a abaltic porter which it probably motre closely resembled. Likewise, would habe been just as delicious with a bigger belt to it.

Not the best photo of my dark Belgian strong but the point to this photo is explaining how much I enjoy seeing everyone's beer photos!
Keep it up! :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
My vote goes to T58... great yeast.

I had a glass or two of my latest red ale during today's brew day, this one was the original recipe tweaked slightly - a tad less black malt just to lighten the colour a bit. And fermented with 1469 yeast which I think is a perfect fit for this recipe. It's nicely balanced with neither the malt nor the hops overpowering it, but both equally noticeable. Nice dry-ish finish too. 4.2% out of the keg. Hard to leave it alone!

13729020_10210379205385061_3579854077912971709_n.jpg

This is the (somewhat contentious) American Brown I brewed a few weeks ago. There were questions around the 30% crystal bill when I posted the recipe in "what are you brewing".

Well, although it's been a long time since I last tried a commercial example of an American Brown, I have to say that this one has turned out to be delicious. There is no noticeable astringency to the beer, it's got a big malty base but it's balanced out really nicely by the cascade hops with the late and dry additions giving it a great citrus flavour and aroma to balance out the maltiness. Will brew again.

IFB Yankee Brown.JPG

Amber Euro Lager. Couple weeks at 3°C on yeast after terminal, kegged a few days ago.

Man, I missed that lager stink! Wish I knew how to describe it... wife says green banana. Maybe it could do with another month in the keg.

If it does, well... it will probably be gone by then :)

1469013565966.jpg

20160720_192011_zpswrfqbzyr.jpg

Man, I struggled to get an angle that showed the right colour and clarity of this. From the bottle, I've had very few clearer beers.

I call this an American Standard Bitter. It was going to be a cream ale, but owing to a little brew day mix up (literally and figuratively), I now call it the above - it's an English style bitter, heading in the Irish Red direction, single 60 minute addition with American hops, that give a flowery, very un-American (not brash, not loud, but dignified) flavour to it.

Now to figure out how to replicate the abovementioned stuff up.

Back