Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubling up
ss.JPG
Shootin' Saison - now on full rotation
dipa.JPG
EIPA - EKG-a-rama

Going off like a frog in a sock :rolleyes:

Cheers, blokes.
Funny bugger, Fish!

Simcoe APA is the same grain bill yet all simcoe in the schedule as this- Simcoe APA yet dry hopped with amarillo at 1g/L. It ended up as a mid strength due to stuffing up strike water temp (mashed at 69 for a couple of minutes, don't ask <_< ) and pitching very tired 1469 that I didn't want to waste, it just wouldn't attenuate. I'm glad I stuffed it, because it's awesome.

ANZAC Ale was intended to be with Coopers recultured, but I was lazy...I might brew another one this week.
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.600
Total Hops (g): 59.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.88 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 34.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Malt (65.22%)
0.500 kg Flaked Oats (10.87%)
0.500 kg Munich I (10.87%)
0.300 kg golden syrup (6.52%)
0.300 kg Wheat Malt (6.52%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
34.0 g Cascade Leaf (4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale

Notes
----------------
Dark Brown sugar is golden syrup added last 10 minutes.
Oats are toasted in oven until golden.

Cascade is homegrown cascade

That glass looks well-liberated Perry ;)

A likely story.... :p

Koelsch with galaxy hops.

IMG_0336.JPG

I know it's supposed to be best fresh, but it is so much better after 2 months in the bottle.

Knocked out a 100lt here today( Pilsner and F.K.L.) and enjoying a Far Kin Lager after the brew.

I took me a while to perfect this beer but it's now just what I wanted, that's if you want an Aussie pub beer. It's a great beer to have on tap, perhaps not your favorite but not that easy to replicate either.

DSCF2653.JPG

batz

Smooth n creamy Irish Red

irishredpintMedium.jpg

Also in a strangely familiar glass such as they serve beer in at Wellington :rolleyes:

looks good batz. Same angle again aye ;) Whats the recipe for that one?? dont mind stuff like that on tap

looks good batz. Same angle again aye ;) Whats the recipe for that one?? dont mind stuff like that on tap

I thought it was a different angle this time. Recipe is in the recipe-DB. I'm using Super Pride rather than Pride Of Ringwood.

batz

It's only just carbed, so no pic yet ( promise i'll put one up next week when its cleared up ), but im drinking a pint of my "Moderately mild". Its my mild, but bumped up to 4.5%. I went the higher mash temp ( 68c ) but left it for 2 hours+, and then a short 71c rest. Flavourwise, im very happy with it, and the little touch of victory is coming through beautifully, but head retention, while ok, isn't great. Considering the flaked barley, and the last temp rest i'd expect more. Lately, some of my beers have suffered from not great head retention. I am stumped as to why. I will update this post next week with photo. We'll see how the head is holding up!!

Interestingly, the galaxy pale i brewed with 5% carapils is just about climbing out the glass, and lacing beautifully. Never had to use carapils for head, but shit its good for it!!

Chase that down with a forty of my Midnight Train and we'll all be well away :)

After several attempts and a recent visit to Sydney I think I can say that I have just about cracked Murray's Whale Ale, with an nice late hit of NZ Cascade.

whaleLarge.jpg
Have you got a recipe for that one Bribie G? Whale ale was the beer that started my craft brew (and subsequent home brewing) obsession :icon_cheers:

Have you got a recipe for that one Bribie G? Whale ale was the beer that started my craft brew (and subsequent home brewing) obsession :icon_cheers:

Telepathic. I've just dragged out the French Press and squished 40g of NZ Cascade flowers to hop-tea the keg. :icon_drool2:

My first few attempts I made it too bland but in Sydney in February I went to Murray's pub at Manly and got a huge Cascade hit. I'd been to Murrays at Port Stephens last year and know that they mainly use NZ hops so I make sure it gets a good NZ Cascade blast, either from the French press into primary or as I'm trying it this time, into the keg.

Current recipe:

Moby Wheat 3

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 65.48
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 26.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.500 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (50%)
2.500 kg Wheat Malt (50%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
40 Cascade NZ flowers Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Last keg is about to blow :unsure:
Long live the new keg :beerbang:

Moby_Wheat__Medium_.jpg

Edit: when using hop tea it does increase the bitterness a wee tad. It's not supposed to, but make some hop tea and try half a teaspoon yourself - I like it, gives an edge without astringency .

Found a few beers in a cupboard downstairs. I am pretty sure that this one was AG number 4 back in 2008 was abit of a failure for a few (now obvious ) reasons. Has certainly aged well, but still not what I would consider a good beer, drinkable but not good.

1304_011.jpg

Hefe.

this is dead set bang on Wiehenstephaner.

Very VERY happy :)

HeffeApr121152x1728.jpg

Back