Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful deebo,

41% a wheat beer does not make,

a pils with wheat perhaps, but a wheat beer!!!

just sayin.....

looks pretty farkin good,

if we could stay within the guidelines roads would be 3 foot narrower..
Yes it does.there's nothing that says a wheat beer HAS to be a particular percentage
50% is largely used, or more, but nothing anywhere says it can't be 40% or even less...

I was actually trying to make a witbier so I dont know if that technically classifies as a wheat beer. Just happened to have a 2kg bag of wheat so thats what I went with.
Just had look at brewing classic styles and he reccomends 2.49kg pils 2.26kg flaked wheat and 113g munich for a witbier so its not too far off. For a Weissbeer they reccomend 50/50 wheat and pils.

Yes it does.there's nothing that says a wheat beer HAS to be a particular percentage
50% is largely used, or more, but nothing anywhere says it can't be 40% or even less...

I believe there is some German law or regulation that a beer can only be called a wheat beer (in Germany) if it contains 50% or more of malted wheat. Even BJCP mentions that.

But then again, what would we care about German laws or American guidelines?

I'd call anything a wheat beer that's brewed to be one, no matter how much wheat is in there.

Wasnt having a go at deebo, just a bit of tongue in cheek following recent discussion regarding amount of wheat in wheat beers.

As Florian says under German law wheat beer should be 50% or more, actually i just checked, "wiessbeir" must be 50% or more. but I really dont care.

Certainly wasnt trying to stir up a shit fight, just a bit of Friday night fun.

As Florian says under German law wheat beer should be 50% or more, actually i just checked, "wiessbeir" must be 50% or more. but I really dont care.

And should have a large warning attached to the bottle.

Warning this beer contains wheat!

Batch_15._Coopers_cerveza__grains__hops..JPG

Coopers cerveza, a bit of extra grains and some super alpha hops,
very good for a kit beer.
better than commercial mexican beers...

Batch_23._LJPA_Coopers_APA_grain_and_hops..JPG

LJPA, Little John Pale Ale

Coopers APA, marris otter, crystal and a little carahell, a good whack of cascade, simcoe and DR Smurto's home grown chinook....
DELICIOUS... :icon_drool2:

What was the recipe for the cerveza yum? I've got some super alpha flowers in the fridge I had planned to do an endevour pale ale with but the mood is kinda gone for that one

What was the recipe for the cerveza yum? I've got some super alpha flowers in the fridge I had planned to do an endevour pale ale with but the mood is kinda gone for that one

1 can coopers cerveza
500gm dex
500gm ldm
150gm carapils, steeped in 3.5litres 70c 30 minutes
13gm super alpha 13gm, boil 10 min in steep liquid.
kit yeast.
ferment 17c 7 days. cc for 14 days.

og 1037
fg 1007
4.5% in bottle

a little more body than typical mexi beers and just a little extra flavour to keep one happy,

fantastic after/while mowing the lawn.

Well, it was an all-Chinook pale ale with MO/JW trad/wheat/carahell base...

I had this next to the lounge on the floor while reading, I'm glad I was not so engrossed I discovered it any other way than by sight.

2012_03_24_23.13.51.jpg

No Decoction Boh Pils. De-freakin-licious.

IMG_2907.jpg

17L
1.5kg Wey Boh Pils
2.0kg Wey Pils
250g Melanoidin
50g Carabohemian
60g Saaz 60min
25g Saaz 15min
WY2000 @ 12C

i wish my pils was that colour. the samples i had for the gravity was great pale straw and now its a golden colour :( and sweet sickly sweet. oh what have i done :(

Apologies for the dark photo. Couldnt get enough light.
More of a foodie photo, but there is a Belgian beer there.
The beer is a Belgian Blonde. Yes, darkened over time. We've discussed this before :(
The Belgian style mussels. Hats off to wifey.
Everything in there besides the mussels are home grown.
Tomatoes, herbs, leeks, chillis, the lot.
Fantastic. Washed down with a Belgian Beer (no matter the colour) made it even more devine.

P3243765.jpg

IMG_1183-1.jpg

Oatmeal Stout. Had a few little issues with this but it's turned out pretty well! Particularly on a dreary day after overtime at work.

Some fantastic looking beers there guys.

I thought I'd do myself a tasting tray...Left to right- Aussie ale, caramelised date ESB and English IPA with a metric shitload of Styrians late.

109_1511.JPG

Perfect day for a stout I reckon. I'm so glad I had the patience to let this sit for a few months. Damn near on the best stout I've done

f828cd57.jpg

Edit: so doesn't start with a d

mate, you've left half your toot on the table

Some fantastic looking beers there guys.

I thought I'd do myself a tasting tray...Left to right- Aussie ale, caramelised date ESB and English IPA with a metric shitload of Styrians late.

View attachment 53328

looks good jyo - save me some mate.

How did your brew night go after the hiccup?

Cheers yum, will lock it in.

donburke was thinking the same thing while I took the pic :lol:

I think i will call it the G Banger...... combining 2 seperate but common things to make something wonderful

I made a Saison with lots of vienna, and used B Saaz flowers including cube hopping.

I split the 34 liter batch into 2 x 17L cubes and fermented one with 3711 French Saison, the other with 3726 Farmhouse Ale.

They were both good, but the 3711 was a bit bland with mostly lemon in the character, and the 3726 was a bit over the top with lots of funky fruit, so i put them both in a keg together, and carbed it up.

well bugger me..... its something wonderful!

2yeastSaison1152x1728.jpg

Back