Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered an Aussie Sparkling in a minicomp in January and it was marked down a bit as the head was collapsing. I'd used a few percent of Wheat as I always do in a Coopers knock off. I used some saved yeast in a second brew, but as an experiment I upped the Wheat malt to 50% of the base malt, then some crystal on top of that.

Can't complain about the head on this one, like marshmallows and hangs around for ages. However using 50% wheat it's come out really fresh and light tasting, Coopers red can be a bit chewy but this is really refreshing, as well has having the pear overtones in abundance. Malts were BB Ale, BB Wheat malt and 70g TF medium xtal, plus POR flowers of course. :icon_cheers:

cooperswheatieLarge.jpg

No Decoction Boh Pils. De-freakin-licious.

IMG_2907.jpg

17L
1.5kg Wey Boh Pils
2.0kg Wey Pils
250g Melanoidin
50g Carabohemian
60g Saaz 60min
25g Saaz 15min
WY2000 @ 12C

IMG_1150-1.jpg

Harvest Ale. Boy can it lace. US-05 had incredibly poor flocculation though. The beer itself is as cloudy as Schofferhofer after 2 weeks in the fermenter. Doesn't stop it tasting great. Homegrown Chinook and Cascade has made it quite stone fruity surprisingly. Lots of plum and nectarine flavour.

last night it was a Doppelbock I bottled in August and a nap in the chair

I found a random bottle in the back of the cupboard. Turns out it was from my first batch about 3 years ago. A Coopers lager kit. It smelt and tasted like watered down sherry. It seems darker as well.

kit.jpg

Along brewday, rain and the Roar game meant I missed gettin to the Scratch, heres the next best thing.
The standard Shootin' Saison, pretty much on tap year round
ssaison.JPG
and Northside-novices theaksons effort
theaks.JPG
a bit too young to tell how it'll turn out mate - give it a month for the flavour profile to settle down, should be quite nice.
(like the glass Florian)

IMG_1168.jpg

Aside from the US-05 failing to floc this is delicious. Have enough hops left of my Cascade and Chinook to redo this recipe with 1272 (my favourite US yeast). Grain bill is Briess Pale Ale, Victory and Red Wheat, really comes into it's own late in the glass. Hard to contain the hop profile to describe it but it is very rounded and fruity. Not much grassiness from dried and wet homegrown hops. Stoked.

IMG_1168.jpg

Aside from the US-05 failing to floc this is delicious. Have enough hops left of my Cascade and Chinook to redo this recipe with 1272 (my favourite US yeast). Grain bill is Briess Pale Ale, Victory and Red Wheat, really comes into it's own late in the glass. Hard to contain the hop profile to describe it but it is very rounded and fruity. Not much grassiness from dried and wet homegrown hops. Stoked.

Nice looking beer but I have to say that is an awesome looking garden.

Nice looking beer but I have to say that is an awesome looking garden.

Yes very nice garden indeed, you would deserve a cold one after working down there. Beer looks great as well. :beer:

batz

Thanks Batz and Andrew.

That's a very small part of the whole property. It's the 'vegie' garden. We're on 1.5 acres. Itching to use the homegrown raspberries in a lambic framboise. I have enough hops to use in another harvest ale so I'm going to use 1272 for a much clearer primary fermentation beer.

Perfect day for a stout I reckon. I'm so glad I had the patience to let this sit for a few months. Damn near on the best stout I've done

f828cd57.jpg

Edit: so doesn't start with a d

1zpslmu.jpg

Photo is fittingly bad enough for this beer...

Infected Black Goat Ale

Cringe and drink - cringe and drink... It does taste better after a drag of a cigarette though? it seems to hide the weirdness a bit and make it taste sweeter? there must be some sort of science behind this :huh:

1zpslmu.jpg

Infected Black Goat Ale

Cringe and drink - cringe and drink... It does taste better after a drag of a cigarette though? it seems to hide the weirdness a bit and make it taste sweeter? there must be some sort of science behind this :huh:

Dude, that was seriously trippy for a minute.

Remember, after every abject failure is your next best beer.

My last one was a pils that tastes like a lmabic (if I hold my nose).

Goomba

1zpslmu.jpg

Infected Black Goat Ale

could be onto something there. maybe try switching brands for a better match. infected beer and ciggie pairings could just be the thing of the future :ph34r:

My first wheat beer, pretty proud of this one, tastes awesome.
witbier.jpg

59% pils
41% wheat
20 IBU hallertau at 60 mins

5 mins
Coriander Seeds
Lemon Zest (had no oranges)
Chamomile teabags

wb-06 yeast

My first wheat beer, pretty proud of this one, tastes awesome.
View attachment 53292

59% pils
41% wheat
20 IBU hallertau at 60 mins

5 mins
Coriander Seeds
Lemon Zest (had no oranges)
Chamomile teabags

wb-06 yeast

Careful deebo,

41% a wheat beer does not make,

a pils with wheat perhaps, but a wheat beer!!!

just sayin.....

looks pretty farkin good,

if we could stay within the guidelines roads would be 3 foot narrower..

Latest posts

Back