Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice liam gotto try to reculture some coopers yeast, my last CPA clone just wasnt right but the real yeast has gotto get it closer lol

GG's GB on ice
gggb.JPG
a bit like watching up-skirts pics - you know you shouldn't butt

nice liam gotto try to reculture some coopers yeast, my last CPA clone just wasnt right but the real yeast has gotto get it closer lol
I didn't use any wheat so it turned out more just a generic ale than a CPA clone. Fermented at 19deg and didn't get much of that coopers flavour either, beginning to think I shouldn't have filtered it, but I was thirsty dammit.

I think next time I'll cook it at 20-21 & add a little wheat in the mix.

I heard that if you ferment it above 19 deg you get major banana flavours??? Maybe it could of been the filtering as they bottle carb and the yeast is part of the flavour so could be why. Still gotto be closer then using us05 lol

Yeah so it turns out my palate is ratshit today.
I gave a glass to SWMBO and she said "ooh yum. It's a bit fruity. Almost a bit of banana"
lol

:p to many hops have killed your taste buds. I taste a IPA now and go where did they put the hops??? lol I been steering away from IPA's as I want to get my taste back. I love IPA's but you try a plan beer and go its missing 500g of hops!

:p to many hops have killed your taste buds. I taste a IPA now and go where did they put the hops??? lol I been steering away from IPA's as I want to get my taste back. I love IPA's but you try a plan beer and go its missing 500g of hops!
+1

3 months off from brewing has allowed me to reset my palate. Drinking CPA, euroswill and the like has been enlightening. Tried an APA and though "this has some flavour", instead of my usual "I could do better".

Still have a shedload of hops in my freezer and I'm not afraid to use them, though.

Goomba

This one. A bit of a ******* brew, not sure if it's an Alt or a Munich Dunkel, but who cares?
It's oh so malty, as malty as I've ever made, with just enough bitterness from the hops and the carafa to keep it in check.

94% Munich
5% Carabohemian
1% Carafa Special II
Smaragd hops to 49 IBU at 60, 15 and 5 min.
4 packs S23

IMG_1386.jpg

This one. A bit of a ******* brew, not sure if it's an Alt or a Munich Dunkel, but who cares?
It's oh so malty, as malty as I've ever made, with just enough bitterness from the hops and the carafa to keep it in check.

94% Munich
5% Carabohemian
1% Carafa Special II
Smaragd hops to 49 IBU at 60, 15 and 5 min.
4 packs S23

IMG_1386.jpg

Warra - how did you find Smaragd, and what flavour do you reckon it produces?

I can't (well couldn't, it's been a year) put my finger on it. Works well with Nelson and Willamette, that I know. And a soft bitterer.

It was in the beer that converted Clutch to All Grain, but I honestly still can't figure out what it is. It's not noble, not american, not british.

Goomba

IMG_1112.jpg

Jamil's Evil Twin recipe. Brewed in Brissy with cousin Geoff. Very nice. Not bad for an iPhone photo ;)

Warra - how did you find Smaragd, and what flavour do you reckon it produces?

I can't (well couldn't, it's been a year) put my finger on it. Works well with Nelson and Willamette, that I know. And a soft bitterer.

It was in the beer that converted Clutch to All Grain, but I honestly still can't figure out what it is. It's not noble, not american, not british.

Goomba

Bought the Smaragd from MHB. First and only time I've used it.
My first impression was that it is a rather gentle soft hop, certainly not overpowering any malt in the brew, and a very soft bitterer.
This brew is probably not the best to get a true idea of what it is like because of the heavy malt factor, but it has no harshness or sharpness angles to it.
I think it would be nice in a German style lager, and it can obviously be used to quite a high IBU without becoming harsh.

Bought the Smaragd from MHB. First and only time I've used it.
My first impression was that it is a rather gentle soft hop, certainly not overpowering any malt in the brew, and a very soft bitterer.
This brew is probably not the best to get a true idea of what it is like because of the heavy malt factor, but it has no harshness or sharpness angles to it.
I think it would be nice in a German style lager, and it can obviously be used to quite a high IBU without becoming harsh.

I think you're right - but I'm too afraid to use it on its own in a lager - certainly it doesn't seem to have that real noble taste to it. Bitterness is so soft, that I can figure out - but I haven't the guts to use it for anything other than bittering.

But your recipe gave me the idea of doing Tony's Monteith OA clone, with Bairds Munich Malt to do a cross between an alt and a standard English PA. I have people asking me for a "malty" beer (at least they have an idea of some sort) for autumn/winter (when it arrives in 2 months' time).

Goomba

Because i CAN! :icon_drool2:

This pale was lacking in late hoppiness, i broke some of the cones in half length ways to open up the lupulin and i mixed it around a bit after the photo, my burps are intense and its kinda hard on my mouth too :beerbang:
Definitely get a hop BUzzz

Chinookbeer.jpg

hehe i have had some fun picking the off goldings flower or 2 nd pouring a pint of IPA onto them. a bit of a soak and a squeeze and its all there :)

Got tomorrow off so best have a couple..
First off the rank is the new Grisette batch
grisette.JPG
seriously bright, lasting head, nice citrus, well done me :D
Next is the keg of Galaxian Pale Ale...
galaxian.JPG
Bloody nice.

I'm really hoping that I don't get called in tomorrow <_<

Got tomorrow off so best have a couple..
First off the rank is the new Grisette batch
View attachment 52890
seriously bright, lasting head, nice citrus, well done me :D
Next is the keg of Galaxian Pale Ale...
View attachment 52891
Bloody nice.

I'm really hoping that I don't get called in tomorrow <_<
Hope this works been a while,just poured this extract version of a smoked beer(urbock schlen,can't remember how to spell it but taste,s pretty good,been 10th weeks in the keg and giddy up smoky Bacon goodness.

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
Super Saison and blue cheese, is anything better?
super.JPG

Building sourness, doesn't take any prisoners this bitch :)

ESB with 100% Golden Promise and 360 gms caramelised date syrup, 1469, Williamette and EKG. So very happy with this beer. This keg is not going to last long at all......

109_1445.JPG

109_1450.JPG

very nice jyo!

I must pop in for a pint when my partner visits her sister around the corner....

Back