Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a warm Canberra afternoon, my galaxy APA is going down very well

I brewed it in late November with WY2112 California Lager yeast, 100% BB Ale malt, lagered for two months and this has cleared up beautifully and is perfectly balanced - just a little on the grapefruity side.

Cheers

Galaxy_APA.JPG

Tricked up DSGA (actually more of an IPA now than a GA) - Rye instead of wheat, a couple of kilos more Trad Ale for an OG of 1.064 and lots more hops, especially fresh wet hops:

10_min_additions_small.jpg 10 minute additions
DrSGA_IPA_small.jpg Liquid awesomeness!
It will probably be even better once it is carbed up properly. I gave it a quick force carb and probably sampled too soon, I was keen.

This is my leffe brune clone after a week in bottle (too early but was my first bulk prime and wanted to check it worked) tasted effing awsome tho :) plus my first in the glass post

Wow man that must have some serious body to stay in the glass like that :D

Looks tasty.

A bit of a 1935 Fuller's OBE.

Not quite sure how to describe this as it doesn't really fit styles.

~6.5% complex caramel and ~75 IBU from a bucket load of EKG.

I used BO Pils, Golden Promise, Optic, flaked maize, a touch of roast barley for colour, plus golden syrup and molasses mixture to replicate brewing sugar.

edit: said it was ESB which it most certainly is not

1935_Fuller__s_OBE.jpg

WOW! that looks good, I can just about taste that picture..

Any chance of a recipe?

Tricked up DSGA (actually more of an IPA now than a GA) - Rye instead of wheat, a couple of kilos more Trad Ale for an OG of 1.064 and lots more hops, especially fresh wet hops:

View attachment 52655 10 minute additions
View attachment 52656 Liquid awesomeness!
It will probably be even better once it is carbed up properly. I gave it a quick force carb and probably sampled too soon, I was keen.

Citra APA on a warm arvo....

Love the hop, but never brewed with it exclusively! Have now! Not bad, slightly light on aroma wise, bitterness spot on for me. Second half of this batch has been dry-hopped with 30g Warrior. Shall taste the differences extensively at some point :icon_drunk:

Citra_APA.jpg

Citra APA on a warm arvo....

Love the hop, but never brewed with it exclusively! Have now! Not bad, slightly light on aroma wise, bitterness spot on for me. Second half of this batch has been dry-hopped with 30g Warrior. Shall taste the differences extensively at some point :icon_drunk:

View attachment 52713

That looks umgomnik Nick :icon_chickcheers:

batz

It IS umgomnik Batz!!

View attachment 52655 10 minute additions
did you manage to get your hands on fresh wet Amarillo or did you sub the hop?

Frigging hot today and for some reason there is footy on.
Time for a hefe.
weiz.JPG
Oh yeah.

Edit: Taglish

did you manage to get your hands on fresh wet Amarillo or did you sub the hop?
Ha ha ha, I wish! (along with MANY others). It is a proprietary hop. Rhizomes are not available to the home brewer. I made extra additions, see below.

WOW! that looks good, I can just about taste that picture..
Any chance of a recipe?

As I said, it was a DSGA with extras and subs.
DrSmurto's Golden Ale would normally be: 50% Pils, 20% Munich 1, 20% Wheat & 10% Caramunich 1

It started with subing Traditional Ale for the Pils, Rye for the Wheat and Heritage Crystal for the caramunich but at the same proportions and for the same purposes. Then I threw a couple of extra kilos of base malt (Trad Ale) at it because there was space for it and it was then not to those proportions anymore. We were drinking before mashing in... :party:

Recipe: Wet hopped Burton Rye IPA
Brewer: Malted
Asst Brewer: Nevalicious, Ben_sa
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 60.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 53.00 l
Bottling Volume: 50.00 l
Actual OG: 1.064 SG
Actual FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.6%
Estimated Color: 17.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 60.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.05 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) Grain 1 61.9 %
2.20 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 16.9 %
2.20 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (8.0 EBC) Grain 3 16.9 %
0.55 kg Crystal - Heritage (Medium) (150.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.2 %

40.29 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 22.6 IBUs A clean bittering hop apparently

100.00 g Cascade (home grown) [5.50 %] - Boil 20. Hop 6 13.3 IBUs From memory about 400g wet weight
100.00 g Victoria (home grown) [10.00 %] - Boil 20 Hop 7 22.0 IBUs From memory about 400g wet weight
10.00 g Chinook (homegrown) [9.00 %] - Boil 20 Hop 8 2.2 IBUs From memory about 50g wet weight - sort of like B Saaz

20.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1 handfull Mix of Cascade/Vic/Chinook in a hop rocket, hot wort ran through it prior to plate chiller.

2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 10 -

30.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Centennial [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast 12 - For half the batch (Nevalicious fermented this)
1.0 pkg SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56 Yeast 13 - For half the batch (Malted fermented this)

Brewed at 18oC. 1 week primary then another week with dry hops (no secondary vessell). Then cool conditioned at 3oC for 4 days and kegged.

Beautiful qld day. Day off lawn is mowed. Time for a quick 5oz of ESB.

2012_03_02_10.34.23.jpg

Whats In The Glass

Who cares on a day like today, flooded in one day paradise the next.

DSCF2582.JPG

Oh it's a Pilsner of sorts.

batz

Looks like a wheat beer from this distance....

:ph34r:

Back