Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a beer free week, enjoyed TDA's RIPA tonight. Solid bitterness melds well with the smooth rye and malt backbone.

DSCN4893.jpg

Then cracked my next weizen - this one has much more pronounced banana.

DSCN4894.jpg

Ok, it's 1934/1935 in my house at the moment. And I live in Kent.

I'm drinking Fuller's OBE (1935) - ~7% hyper-hopped sweet caramel goodness (no photo it's a bit cloudy still <_< .

And I've just finished a keg of Kidd Pale Ale (1934) (posted a pic of this before but here's another next to my EKG)

... so I refilled the keg with a beer I never thought i'd brew. Kidd XXX (1934). It's Mild Jim, but not as we know it. 6% and friggin' tasty. I used black patent instead of caramel to get the colour, which has given it a bit more roastiness than the recipe asks for, but hey it's noiiiiiice.

Now, if I get botulism from this lot it'll have been worth it :)

And the link to the recipes: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

Where the Fark is my sample ???

Where the Fark is my sample ???

The good news: I took your sample to the lab

The bad news: the woman at the desk said she'd never seen anything like it.

... oh you meant the beers! No trips to Bundy planned currently, but if there's anything left when i'm there you could be lucky.

Ok, it's 1934/1935 in my house at the moment. And I live in Kent.

I'm drinking Fuller's OBE (1935) - ~7% hyper-hopped sweet caramel goodness (no photo it's a bit cloudy still <_< .

And I've just finished a keg of Kidd Pale Ale (1934) (posted a pic of this before but here's another next to my EKG)

... so I refilled the keg with a beer I never thought i'd brew. Kidd XXX (1934). It's Mild Jim, but not as we know it. 6% and friggin' tasty. I used black patent instead of caramel to get the colour, which has given it a bit more roastiness than the recipe asks for, but hey it's noiiiiiice.

Now, if I get botulism from this lot it'll have been worth it :)

And the link to the recipes: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

Nice consolidation of the BP blog recipes there.

Cheers for the link.

Just finishing of my keg of rye robust porter. Been in the keg a while now and tasting more chocolate with a thick mouthfeel and just a hint of citra in the back ground. Bloody good stuff. Definitely my house beer now

IMG_0479.jpg

I just finished a keg of my best ever HB. An AIPA, (6.6%) with a grain bill based on DSGA but beefed up, and with CZT for bittering, and late + dry additions of amarillo, cascade and simcoe. It was so clear / bright, I doubt putting it through a 1 micron filter would have changed it. Had it all. Aroma, flavour, nice bitterness, crystal clear, great head...

Now I'm drinking and "ESB". Similar grain bill - but toned down a bit (5,5% abv) and hopped just with EKG @ 60 for about 40 IBU's. Fermented with SA-04, instead of US-05 - what a difference the yeast makes! Was fermented @ 20c, instead of 18 too. Clarity is OK, but not as bright as it's yankee cousin. The taste though... took me a few glasses to get used to it, but now I'm really enjoying it. Some esthers coming through. Quite a bit of banana.

Intersetingly, although both were served and carbed @ same / similar prressure and temp, while the AIPA had a great foamy head that lasted for the glass, ther pom has very little head, and what is there doesn't stick around for long. Both had a similar grain bill (fair whack of wheat malt in both for head retention).

I'd take pics, but one is gone, and the other seems not to last long in the glass... :)

I just finished a keg of my best ever HB. An AIPA, (6.6%) with a grain bill based on DSGA but beefed up, and with CZT for bittering, and late + dry additions of amarillo, cascade and simcoe. It was so clear / bright, I doubt putting it through a 1 micron filter would have changed it. Had it all. Aroma, flavour, nice bitterness, crystal clear, great head...

Now I'm drinking and "ESB". Similar grain bill - but toned down a bit (5,5% abv) and hopped just with EKG @ 60 for about 40 IBU's. Fermented with SA-04, instead of US-05 - what a difference the yeast makes! Was fermented @ 20c, instead of 18 too. Clarity is OK, but not as bright as it's yankee cousin. The taste though... took me a few glasses to get used to it, but now I'm really enjoying it. Some esthers coming through. Quite a bit of banana.

Intersetingly, although both were served and carbed @ same / similar prressure and temp, while the AIPA had a great foamy head that lasted for the glass, ther pom has very little head, and what is there doesn't stick around for long. Both had a similar grain bill (fair whack of wheat malt in both for head retention).

I'd take pics, but one is gone, and the other seems not to last long in the glass... :)

Hops help with head retention!

Hops help with head retention!

109_0806.JPG

Yes they do! I found a longneck of this last week. 10 min Pale Ale with 350 gms styrians. It had good carbonation, but the head stayed like this the whole glass. It was lumpy.

To build on the "hops give good head" line

Bulls EyePA

I have spent years working on a great IPA and god DAMN.... im close to perfection.

Im very happy with this beer.

1.052, 47 IBU, Target, Styrian Goldings and Bramling Cross.

And then................................

I went and picked about 40 fresh goldings flowers from the plant in the back yard, dried them over 4 or 5 hrs in the dehydrator, dropped the ... still warm, in the keg and racked the bitch strait on them, sealed up and gassed.

Oh man its nice. light malt, bitter with a wonderfil earthy, minty, floral english hop resonous coating of the mouth.

very hoppy with it!

Edit: oh... i dont filter my hoppy beers any more. Racked with some gelitine and this is the first glass. Nothing wrong with some hop haze!

Im sick of all my hops getting rinsed out of the filter!

BullsHeadIPA1152x1728.jpg

**** yeah Tony that look awesome dude!! Ill be doing a Pliney the elder clone on thursday hope she goes ok any tips very welcome?

Probably been posted 1 million times before but here she is again Ross's Summer ale, yeah baby!

IMG_0491.jpg

Took the pic on the fly while making the MAC 2 mill hopper sorry!

I've brewed that recipe and it is a cracker. Mine was definitely Pliny-ish but not exactly a clone (I'm sure that is all my fault, of course).

**** yeah Tony that look awesome dude!! Ill be doing a Pliney the elder clone on thursday hope she goes ok any tips very welcome?

Probably been posted 1 million times before but here she is again Ross's Summer ale, yeah baby!

View attachment 52363

Took the pic on the fly while making the MAC 2 mill hopper sorry!

Gav80, we have a Pliney clone fermenting as we speak, which will be going on tap in one of the Brisbane bars... make sure you bring us one in to compare.

Cheers Ross

Back