Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of pumpkin are you using??? Butternut pumpkin has a lot more flavour to it. I just poured a cube of pumpkin ale wort into the fermenter and it smelled like I was cooking pumpkin soup... I will see how it goes after fermentation.

Well I used 1 kg butternut and 200gm of yellow sweet potato, roasted, mulched up etc then dumped into the mash. Smelt alright in the fermentor but then I decided to filter it for presentation and after bottle conditioning there is only the spice element left in aroma/flavour :( .
If doing it again I'd use 2kg min, mash higher and not filter. I might give it a go as a 9/10% Xmas beer addition later this year (which is what I should have done in the first place).

Edit: Sh*t another thread I've helped drag :icon_offtopic: . Sorry

Belgian Wit

This beer is great!

Its tart, mild phenols, spice is ballanced perfectly......... Very VERY happy!

BelgianWit1152x1728.jpg

Belgian Wit

This beer is great!

Its tart, mild phenols, spice is ballanced perfectly......... Very VERY happy!

BelgianWit1152x1728.jpg

Any chance of recipe? That one looks amazing! Very nice photography.

Thats one purdy lookin' thang.
Nice work Tony :icon_cheers:

chinese_lager__Medium_.JPG

Chinese Lager
4000 BB Ale
1000 da ricez
50 g new season Chinese Saaz 60 mins (3% AA)
50g new season Chinese Saaz 10 mins
S-189

No complaints whatsoever :eek:
Clean fairly Euro aroma, nice crisp bitterness (not like the harsh bitterness of the 2009 lot)

Well worth the $20 a kilo (including post)

:icon_cheers:

My first AG stout. Oatmeal Stout, Cascade and EKG and WY ESB 1968. After some stress about bottle infections due to an oiliness on the surface, all is good. At five weeks I couldn't help myself...this is sooo smooth. I will try to leave the rest for a few months.

109_0169.JPG

Looking good guys, especially that stout, jyo.

I had a few of these while I was building some balsa models last night:

DSCF1205.jpg

Just a kits'n'bits with an asiatic twist.

Coopers Australian Bitter 1.7kg
500g liquid rice malt
250g LDME
250g white sugar :beerbang:

No extra hopping, stock yeast @ 18'C. Either I've been out of the game for too long or it just came out well.

Cheers - boingk

Something from the kettle this morning.
1.058 (mostly Fawcetts MO with some Munich, Imperial, Heritage Crystal & Carafa for colour)
Finished with a generous gift of Fuggles & EKG
Tastes alright :)

20110423_002_resized.jpg

Neills Centamarillo...

Possibly one of the clearest beers i've brewed, and one of the clearest out of the bottle as well...thought it was pic worthy...

Bottle conditioned for a month, hoppy flavous abound! Nice drop this one, will definately do again. Messed up my bulk prime calcs, so its a little less carb'd than i'd have liked, however still pours with a nice head...

IMGP4564.JPG

Big apa or small ipa with loads of chinook, keg hopped with chinook and columbus, used jw pils and the simpson naked oats. Dry and refreshing, already nailed one keg.

2011_04_23_16.24.26.jpg

oh yeah!!!!!!

I was looking at hibiscus flowers today thinking......mmmm these would be awsome in a beer.

Where did you get them, how much were they and how much did you use in what size batch :)

cheers

Hey Tony, Got them Here: http://www.herbwholesalers.com/, had to order 1.5 kg as a minimum, order of $30 is required.

1kg $23.90, 500g $13.95 + postage.

I used 500g flowers at flameout in a 35L boil. Though next time I will half that (the flowers are very tart and overpowering) and increase sweetness for balance (more crystal (10%, next time 15%) and higher mash temp(67c, next time 68c)

It's nice but it could be nicer, This was my first attempt with this ingredient, next one should be more spot on.

Wraith

In relation to the Pumpkin discussion earlier, for the record butternut is not a pumpkin, it's a squash. Why it's called pumpkin here is beyond me, I'm planning a pumpkin ale soon, I'll be using Jap.
(For the record I love Butternut, just saying it's not a Pumpkin).

Wraith

In relation to the Pumpkin discussion earlier, for the record butternut is not a pumpkin, it's a squash. Why it's called pumpkin here is beyond me, I'm planning a pumpkin ale soon, I'll be using Jap.
(For the record I love Butternut, just saying it's not a Pumpkin).
Pumpkin is a type of squash and butternut is a type of squash that sits perfectly comfortably in the pumpkin family so the name is not incorrect - just a local difference.

Why you'd get so upset about it is beyond me.

Ok, This is why I shouldn't post after a few drinks haha, I regret posting that.

You're right bum, It isn't incorrect to call it a pumpkin.

In a way i'm happy because I can use butternut and still call it a pumpkin ale, which I like best anyway :)

Wraith

Latest posts

Back