Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't get that yet, next week we'll find out. But it appears to be a non-tap only beer (as the last one was after the dreadnought).

But after all these IPA at archive, my new IPA - it's nice to have a Commercial with the balls to whack 7 hop types, especially given Citra and Stella are among them (and in my freezer), and don't generally get much commercial airplay. We all know that Cascade and Centennial and Simcoe get used a bit, but not so much the others.

So long as it's looked after, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this one.

Goomba

PricklyMosesTailpipe.jpg

Another delicious brown ale. Wouldn't have guessed it is 7.1% abv, can't taste the alcohol at all. Yum!
Going to have to brew a few brown ales for autumn consumption I think.

Moving along, no more Brown Ales to try tonight, so having a crack at this:
8wiredTallPoppy.jpg

It's pretty much an IPA but redder. Big on hops - more aroma hops than most IPA's I've had, ald lots of flavouring hops as well as the obligatory bittering. I think there malt in there too, but the hops cover it up pretty much. Nice colour. Very drinkable. 7.0% - will get the job done.

Dons flamesuit:
Hate to admit it, but I think some of Australasia's best beers come from the Eastern archapeligo
Cheers.

They won't make it to the podium at the World Cup.............

Rochefort10.jpg

I have died and gone to heaven. Magnificent. How do they fit so much flavour into 1 small bottle?
Now I want to find and try the "8".

Well well well, lookie what we have here.

Moon Dog - Skunkworks, Cognac barrel double IPA.

Awesome resinous perfume on the nose with luscious sugary sweet malt. Notes of lemon, orange and a hint of stone fruit. Smooth alcohol, not an ounce of solvency, just a wall of complex hops.

Malt body is quite full due to low carbonation but this beer resonates the hop driven aromas. The resinous profile of the mouth feel is borderline OTT as it sticks and is chewy on the palate. Almost a soapy/oily sensation (not fatty acid soapy) from the amount of hop oils this thing has from the assumed massive dry hop (its like rubbing a hop flower on your teeth and soaking up the lupulin).

I would really like to see this thing bottle aged at 6 months and 12 months. Im sure the second bottle I have wont get past the point of shelving for a few weeks until it drops bright as the turbidity of yeast/resin is detracting from the malt/hop/wood (in particular) characters somewhat. If they had pushed this thing through a filter, oh man what a showstopper of a first release!

Have I been expecting big things from Moon Dog? Yes! Did they deliver? Hell yes! :icon_chickcheers:

I'd strongly suggest if you are rushing out to get yourself a bottle of their first "official" release, to pick up a couple. Have one fresh and store away the other for a few weeks/month or two. A beer this big will age like an American Barleywine and Im sure a month or so wont hurt the hop aroma/balance compared to being able to drop out a bit of excess resin and yeast. If the MD boys are trolling around, as a local Im proud to say well done fellas! At least someone else is also making good use of Abbotsfords water! :beerbang:

photo_1_.JPG

Well well well, lookie what we have here.
Moon Dog - Skunkworks, Cognac barrel double IPA.

Picked up a bottle myself after the tasting at Purvis. Really nice beer. I'm trying to force myself to let age for a bit despite its incessant beckoning. Might have pick up a few more. Chatting to Moon Doggers, they said it's only been in the bottle for 3 weeks after about a month in Cognac barrels.
Always exciting, adventurous beers from these fellas.

boags draught not too bad at all for a mass produced beer but then again boags has always being quality and for the time being lion nathan haven't f*cked with the recipe i was scared of that because a beer i adore is boags premium and i would be v.sad if the japs messed with that.

Chatting to Moon Doggers, they said it's only been in the bottle for 3 weeks after about a month in Cognac barrels.
Always exciting, adventurous beers from these fellas.

I went to slowbeer assuming there would be no parking @ 6:30 down bridge road, how wrong i was. :rolleyes:

Wow, only 1 month? it would be good with some more time in the barrel to really soak up the cognac flavours/aromas. Did they ship in barrels from france or are they using Aussie brandy barrels? (as cognac is an appellation).

to be honest the 3 way with Matilda Bay, MD and Mountain Goat was a bit of a disappointment for me. Altough this being the first MD only beer ive tried, im quite excited about what is in the pipeline. :beerbang:

I reckon the cognac character is pretty good. Maybe a smidgen more, but there's already a fair bit going on. It is quite mouth coatingly tasty.
Didn't ask where the barrels came from.
I really enjoyed the Abby Collaby between the breweries. However, it was my start of good beer week so maybe I was a little overly festive. I did go back for more though.
Their rose-water hand-pumped double IPA was fantastic and I sort of remember the Imperial pale ale.
I just love the fact that for a new brewery starting up, instead of going the usual route by making a clean lager, they said '**** that!' and made a pumpkin ale. :kooi:
They were saying that they have a few more beers hitting the streets soon. More pumpkin ale for Halloween (think roast pumpkin with honey)
And another that I think was a Belgium, wild yeast, highly hopped brown ale.

No pics, but i went to the bavarian beer cafe last night and had a litre stein of hoffbrau( spelling? ) dunkel. Yummo!. Followed it with a few hoffbrau originals. Pretty nice beers.

Victory Yakima Glory

IMAG0048.jpg

Nice. Had a big bitterness that lingered long on my palette. Resinous, piney aromas, and fairly solid malt backbone. Well done IMO.

As a fan of BreDog beers, I've been putting together a small collection of their beers to have over the Christmas holidays :party:

Though I've already had the widely available beers like Punk IPA, Trashy Blonde, 77 Lager etc before, I am looking forward to trying the more obscure beers like the Hello My Name is Ingrid, Prototype 17, TNP and the Abstrakt.

I still have a few more I want to get before Christmas, but the hardest thing is trying not to drink them before I've got them all.

BrewDog_Collection.JPG

I have a preference for the 8 but it's really like preferring perigord truffle that's been dug up by a pig called Jean-Paul as opposed to a pig called Pierre.

aahaah, i agree! :icon_cheers:

hmm, rochefort 8 and 10 in my fridge, for tonight me thinks

View attachment 49172

Bundy and free ice from the heavens ! (probly full of pollutants from our lush clean air cough cough )

Hope all you other brissie boys didnt cop the storm too bad ?
we got hammered for five minutes but all ok thankfully.

View attachment 49172

Bundy and free ice from the heavens ! (probly full of pollutants from our lush clean air cough cough )

Hope all you other brissie boys didnt cop the storm too bad ?
we got hammered for five minutes but all ok thankfully.

Luckly the brewday was done and dusted and no sausages were harmed.
Bundy ? Really ?
Back to 15 year old oak aged Tanduay (P150) :icon_cheers:
rhum.JPG
and a nice Alt.....

Back