Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$20 for that. You got to be joking. Its worth about $5 imo. We all do it once..........................or twice!

got a couple these on the cheap

1zdxiqg.jpg

$20 for that. You got to be joking. Its worth about $5 imo. We all do it once..........................or twice!

India pale ale was/is $20 at a bar nearby. Fortunately when I ordered it the barman told me the price and I cancelled it.

I think it's a more realistic 10 or 11 at another decent beer bar near me.

I had an old brewery pale ale in a fancy bar in Brisbane once ... paid something stupid for it, and it wasn't the sort of place you could hear the price. God it was awful - very old and freezing cold. Although I remember stuggling to even finish a pint of this in York when I was 17 or so... don't think my palate could take rich beer then.

This afternoon, however I needed something to help me deal with the shockingly bad digital TV reception and Scotland dominating the first half. Otter to the rescue!

Had the Bitter, the others can wait.

Had this on draught before, but never from the bottle.

3.6%, very well balanced, subtle caramel. As drinkable as a real English bitter should be. When I get to the brewery next year I'll be trying very hard to wangle the recipe out of them. My missus had the cheek to suggest it tasted like VB with a touch of toffee! Mind, it was one of the first beers she's had in a long while.

Serving recommendation said best served inside a bird's nest at 12 C ... luckily I have a spare nest and my beer fridge is set at 12C. Noice!

Otterly_luverly.jpg

deadset, I have had the best day. cooked breakfast, late lunch at Fifth Element, had a few beers including franziskaner dunkel, schofferhofer heferweizen, bishops finger, 7 some tapas, moved on to Archive & had Ryeld Chiald (again), Kooinda Black IPA, and a pot of Mickeller 1000IBU, which was bitter, but nowhere near as epic as I'd expected.

anyway, currently sipping on Bridge Roads the Harverst.
next up, wicked elf pale ale, and after that, SN Porter.

ife is good.

IMG_0109__683x1024_.jpg

Birra Moretti Lager

Appearance- Straw
Aroma- None
Flavor- None
Mouthfeel- like water, slightly carbed
706c8c52.jpg

Overall Impression- Shit

A mate handed me a bottle of this on the weekend. I looked at the bottle and liked the style. An Italian lager - I thought to myself this should be dry, clean, crisp, refreshing and for the most part should have a simple flavour and a nice straw like hue... Well you wouldn't believe it would you - I was bang on the money...

I need to ask a serious question here. Im not taking the piss but this is starting to happen to me often...

Why do people expect so much from certain styles of beer when the very style of the beer categorises it as one without much?? Why do people expect earth shattering hop flavour and aromas with complex malt profiles and an orgasmic finish from relatively plain styles of beer? Dont get me wrong I know Lagers are not meant to be plain but from all research and discussion that I have had with people, the very definition of a lager is a beer that is typically light (in colour), crisp and refreshing... I dunno...

Sometimes I just dont know why people are so quick to slag on beer. Im a glass is half full kinda guy; I look for the good in beers - I dont jump straight on the bad...

First introduction to Belgian ales...have been wanting to get into Belgian Pale Ales and likes for a while...having been mainly drinking hoppy IPAs/APAs (which are my favourite styles), but want to 'broaden' my pallet and am always keen to try new beers.

Picked up a bottle of the Rochefort 8 today....im sure its been posted here before, but wanted to share my first experience.

Yes thats a Wine glass - never mind.

2011-10-04141107.jpg

The photo makes it look much darker than it is...much more mahogany/reddish in the light - not the near black it looks in the pic.

Head poured rather large (wasnt quite cold enough - not even sure how cold to drink these - showing my inexperience!), and settled down and lasted the glass.

Nice aroma - not the best at describing the smell, used to whiffing hops and fruit salad, but was pleasant. Not overly powerful however.
Really enjoyed the taste - wasnt too sure what to expect, but definitely liked this beer. Alcohol heat was there, but not over-powering for 9.2%.

Picked it up for $8NZ, which isnt bad, with it being $14-$15 at the local Belgium Beer cafe.

Im looking forward to trying more of this style....

Cheers
Salt

LostCoastRaspberryBrown.jpg

What can I say.
Mrs Spork loves raspberries, but not beer. It was too beer flavoured for her.
I lake raspberries AND beer, but after this I can confirm - not together.
Strong raspberry aroma, and raspberry at the start of the taste. Finishes rather bitter, but you can't forget the raspberry syrup taste it began with.

Drinking this makes me look forward to opening my next bottle, a DSGA that I made. Almost wish I had an oatmeal stout in the fridge to properly erase the taste of this one.

PaulanerOktoberfestBier.jpg

The litre stein was $20, the beer was free.
It's drinkable, not too bad at all.
Thank god they didn't put raspberries in it...

Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude.

20111005yeastieboysrexattitude.jpg

Made from 100% smoked distilling malt, it's like drinking peat.

Wow, Geoff. Would love to try that, but would hate parting with the $$$ for something I'd probably hate... However, love a RauchBier, so maybe I would like it.

Back on topic....

Got a package from my brother in Tassie today (Birthday and Xmas presents owing, apparently.)

A pretty nice haul, 4 I've never tried, and one I've only had once...

Commercial_Haul_Oct.jpg
L --> R: Weihenstephaner Pilsner, Leffe Bruin, Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale (Cedar Cask Aged), Hitachino Nest Lacto Sweet Stout, Van Dieman Brewing Stacks Bluff Oatmeal Stout, St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

Reviews to follow!!

Cheers

Wow, Geoff. Would love to try that, but would hate parting with the $$ for something I'd probably hate... However, love a RauchBier, so maybe I would like it.

It's worth it. Can't recall the cost, but picked it up at the Wine Emporium. Can grab one for you if you like, I go past there every day, twice.

Wow, Geoff. Would love to try that, but would hate parting with the $$$ for something I'd probably hate... However, love a RauchBier, so maybe I would like it.

Back on topic....

Got a package from my brother in Tassie today (Birthday and Xmas presents owing, apparently.)

A pretty nice haul, 4 I've never tried, and one I've only had once...

View attachment 48869
L --> R: Weihenstephaner Pilsner, Leffe Bruin, Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale (Cedar Cask Aged), Hitachino Nest Lacto Sweet Stout, Van Dieman Brewing Stacks Bluff Oatmeal Stout, St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

Reviews to follow!!

Cheers

That St Ambroise is one of my favourite beers and the best (IMO) Oatmeal Stout around. Enjoy!

It's worth it. Can't recall the cost, but picked it up at the Wine Emporium. Can grab one for you if you like, I go past there every day, twice.
Personally I disagree. I didn't like it at all.
I love peaty scotch but to me this beer just didn't hit any marks aside from their plan of making something someone said couldn't be done.

Aside from anything, one of the old Babbs guys beat them to it by about 4 years :). When I first joined one of them had a 100% peat malt beer. I think it lasted years as he foisted it around club meetings :)

Y'know what Geoff, for sure (unless the price is over $20/bottle). Bring it to BABBS and I'll reimburse you. Can't hurt to try it, as peaty and smoky as it is!

Will bring you a bottle as compensation. Nothing commercial, but hoppy as hell.... ;)

Cheers!

Personally I disagree. I didn't like it at all.

Needs more sour for you ;)

I love peaty scotch but to me this beer just didn't hit any marks aside from their plan of making something someone said couldn't be done.

Aside from anything, one of the old Babbs guys beat them to it by about 4 years :) . When I first joined one of them had a 100% peat malt beer. I think it lasted years as he foisted it around club meetings :)
Not surprised it's been done before.

Mmmmmm, Peat....

peat2.jpg

Mind you, better than Pete....

Pete_Blah.jpg

:D

Drinking some Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted seeing as they were on special in Vintage Cellars. Man this is good beer, I should really get it more often, I enjoy it immensely.

logo_harviestoun.gif

Orval bottled 22nd Sep 2010.

wow! a face slap of phenols with big melon, freshly cracked pepper, lemon zest, orange. Some ethyl acetate also present.

very complex palate, resonates all of the above including sweet sugary malt, mild banana with a mineral finish.

With the complexity of this beer, words are lost. Most ive had have been 6 months old~ but nothing 12+. Its a very different beast at this age and after reading an article by Charlie P yesterday you really get to apperciate the subtleties of a beer like Orval as it ages. :icon_cheers:

photo.JPG

been looking for this to try for a while. yum yum.

photo_11_.JPG

Back