Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Salt +lots Lagunitas Maxim,us.
@ Dave. Yep, the "Abbey Ale" was one of my more disappointing purchases. It's about as "Trappist" as meat pie.

Rare visit to Dans and got 6 x 500ml of Jur-vee-ets for $20
Yup that's how it's pronounced - once shggd a Polish girl called Natalia, had 4 vowels in the name which would have to be a first :eek:

zwyiekLarge.jpg

I love this stuff, my venture into decoction was fuelled by my desire to get that fresh bread / malt hit. Fucken gorgeous, as well as being a headbanger at Coopers Sparkling strength

:beerbang:

Punk ipa - Lions and tigers and hops. Oh my.

White rabbit dark ale - think I prefer it on tap. My dark ale seems maltier and hoppier.

Sierra Nevada pale - ripe pear aroma and nice flavour, but didn't live up to the hype for me.

Still have to try the dunkelweissen I bought too.

Samuel Adams Infinium

20110927samueladamsinfinium.jpg

Estery nose, hint of apples as well, slight sweet taste, highly carbonated, dry finish - might as well be drinking a Brut champagne.

Samuel Adams Infinium

20110927samueladamsinfinium.jpg

Estery nose, hint of apples as well, slight sweet taste, highly carbonated, dry finish - might as well be drinking a Brut champagne.

How dare you drink that by your self, Sir!

:p

Decided I had better take one for the team and try out a bottle of Broo.
I can't really say that I was either impressed or disappointed. Tasted like a mainstream, chuggable Aussie lager to me.

Then I tried the JS 150 lashes pale ale. Ended up tipping it out before I was halfway through the glass. That was some pretty crappy beer. Made me wish I had another bottle of Broo to wash out the taste.
Luckily, I have some Mountain Goat steam ale that is doing a great job of helping me to forget...

MikkellerJackieBrown.jpg

Can't read the label (apart form the Mikkeller jackie brown part) so NFI what style this is meant to be. Expected a "coffee porter" - but to me it's more like a dark IPA with coffee.
Whatever. It's good.
Before this I had a Holgate Hopinator, and the aroma is surprisingly similar...

MikkellerJackieBrown.jpg

Can't read the label (apart form the Mikkeller jackie brown part) so NFI what style this is meant to be. Expected a "coffee porter" - but to me it's more like a dark IPA with coffee.
Whatever. It's good.
Before this I had a Holgate Hopinator, and the aroma is surprisingly similar...
Meant to be an American Brown sort of thing. So, either of those descriptions would come close :)

I have been in Europe for 5 months and have bought some awesome collections of beer but have been too lazy to post them in this thread. I thought perhaps I should post todays collection of what is about to be in the glass - 19 different varieties of the mikkeller single hop series beers. The only problem is which to drink first!

IMGP5467.JPG

Clearing some photos off the camera.

Some of these beers I remember well, some I have no idea.

So excuse the lack of descriptions

Bridgeroads Stella IPA - Not too bad, the hop flavour seemed a tad grassy. might just be me.
Burleigh - My Wifes Bitter - Enjoyable but relatively unexciting bitter. I should probably qualify by saying for the price I expected something a bit more out there.
Grand Ridge Moonshine - I was avoiding this for a while because of some bad rap over the grand ridge beer. But this one really delivered. Complex malts and a thick fruity mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this as a sipper.

Bridgeroad_Stella_Single_Hop_IPA.jpg

Burleigh_Brewing___My_Wifes_Bitter.JPG

Grand_Ridge_Moonshine.JPG

Mikkeller/Brewdog - Divine Rebel Brewed in collaboration with Mikkeller from Denmark. Malt Beverage, 1/4 of which has been aged in Speyside whisky barrels.

Mikkeller Black Hole - A big (14&) badass beer. So strong in every direction. Just loads of coffee, and heaps of bitter roast. It was an intense experience. I liked the beer but it has a very narrow time and occasion to make it worthwhile. After dinner drink by the fire for sure.

Struise/Mikkeller Double IPA - 9% DIPA. Cant remember too much. too long ago

Mikkeller___Brewdog___Divine_Rebel.JPG

Mikkeller_Black_Hole.JPG

Mikkeller_Struise_Double_IPA.JPG

Hunter Beer Co - ESB. Such a delicious beer. Tried off the hand-pump at the brewery was a delight. The bottled version is not as great, but still a fantastic session beer.

Mountain Goat Rare Breed Stout

Southern Tier - Phin and Matts Ale. I really didn't like this. It tasted floury and gritty. I don't think there was anything suspect going on in the bottle, I just think the combination of hops just created a muddy mess. Anywho YMMV

Nogne-0 Tyttebaer - A sour that has lingonberries added. A very unconventional beer. Very lactic and almost makes you cough at first sip. the fruit is very present in the visual, but less so on the palate. This one will certainly polarise opinions. As much as I rave about Nogne-0's beers I just think this one didn't hit the mark.

Hunter_Beer_Co_Especially_Acrimonious_Ale.JPG

Mountain_Goat_Rare_Breed_Surefoot_Stout.JPG

Nogne_0_Tyttebaer.JPG

Southern_Tier_Phin_and_Matts_ale.jpg

I have been in Europe for 5 months and have bought some awesome collections of beer but have been too lazy to post them in this thread. I thought perhaps I should post todays collection of what is about to be in the glass - 19 different varieties of the mikkeller single hop series beers. The only problem is which to drink first!

View attachment 48683

:icon_drool2:
You lucky bugger!

Had this earlier this evening, nothing outstanding, just a good, well balanced beer.
SamuelAdamsnutbrownale.jpg

Onto one of these now, as above, nothing special, but a good beer also.
SamuelSmithsIPA.jpg

I think nothing outstanding but good beers are underrated. Samuel Smith's do not put a foot wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. I never drank Sam smiths from bottle before coming to Australia.i knew it as a very cheap independent brewery. Reliable stuff but nowt special. I'm put off by the price of their beer here and real ale ain't real out of a bottle. They're still good style examples but not the beers available in pubs.

Nowt special and foot wrong are different things. Good beer, well made, not worth $20 for 500 mL (hope you're reading this bar etiquette)

The last of the trio:
SamuelSmithsTaddyporter.jpg

Another very easy to drink beer. I could wallop a bunch of any of these I reckon.
I'd happily drink any / all of these again.

@ Shed101 - Mrs Spork and I hope to visit England one day. I plan on trying as many "real ales" from the cask as is humanly possible. :)
@ Manticle - $9 / 550mL. Not cheap, but not too OTT for a bit of a treat either.

$20 is a bar near me. I don't expect to pay that in bottle shops and find it exorbitant in bars ($15 max at a bar, preferably closer to 10-12)

Back