Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude.

20111005yeastieboysrexattitude.jpg

Made from 100% smoked distilling malt, it's like drinking peat.

I posted this one up a few weeks back after trying it in WA........ Holy cow its a big beer.

Yes..... like eating peat i think.

However, love a RauchBier, so maybe I would like it.

This is way past Rauchbier....... its just liquid peat and if i had my time again....... being a Rauchbier lover....... i would have boought something different!

Yes..... like eating peat i think.

I tried it during the Local Taphouse's NZ Spectapular.
I am quite fond of peated single malt whisky, but even the 60 or so mL taster of this beer was more than enough.

A mate handed me a bottle of this on the weekend. I looked at the bottle and liked the style. An Italian lager - I thought to myself this should be dry, clean, crisp, refreshing and for the most part should have a simple flavour and a nice straw like hue... Well you wouldn't believe it would you - I was bang on the money...

I need to ask a serious question here. Im not taking the piss but this is starting to happen to me often...

Why do people expect so much from certain styles of beer when the very style of the beer categorises it as one without much?? Why do people expect earth shattering hop flavour and aromas with complex malt profiles and an orgasmic finish from relatively plain styles of beer? Dont get me wrong I know Lagers are not meant to be plain but from all research and discussion that I have had with people, the very definition of a lager is a beer that is typically light (in colour), crisp and refreshing... I dunno...

Sometimes I just dont know why people are so quick to slag on beer. Im a glass is half full kinda guy; I look for the good in beers - I dont jump straight on the bad...

I didn't expect anything other than to try a new beer (for me), first Italian Lager I had afaik, may well be to their style, but I didn't like it

The brother in law went down to Margs and thought of me. The 7.1% in this is hidden well. Deep roast flavours, choc and coffee sweetness, it's all about the malt. From what I can find, the style is American porter....I wish I had another bottle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The brother in law went down to Margs and thought of me. The 7.1% in this is hidden well. Deep roast flavours, choc and coffee sweetness, it's all about the malt. From what I can find, the style is American porter....I wish I had another bottle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Won a few awards has that. Mrs Shed is proud to have added the hops to a batch of Raging Bull:

4091803231_8e28f41b3f.jpg

That's awesome! Single POR @ 60?
I've only been down there twice (I know, pretty lame) but they have a great set up. Their APA is an absolute winner too. And the Amber....
Cheers.

This first one - Otter Bright - was surprisingly nice for a summer ale. Fuggles in their but a touch of styrian goldings at the end, too I'd guess. Nicely balanced and refreshing.

I must say the Otter beers pour well from bottles, English beer often doesn't work that way imho.

Next up was a German pils, Radeberger. Refreshing afternoon kind of beer. Nothing spectacklier, like a German Pils really.

Last and certainly not least was a beautiful plummy ESB, 5.8% excellent balance, not too sweet, the pick of the Otter beers for me. Touch of peppery spice. I wonder if there's some Special B in there :unsure:

Loverly jubberly, shame it's so hard to get. :(

2011_10_08_16.24.45.jpg

2011_10_02_18.51.44.jpg

2011_10_08_18.09.22.jpg

IMAG0015.jpgFacebook_photo.jpg

had these the other night at my local to finish the night off, the Floreffe was awsome and the rauchbier was the marzen not as good as its big brother the urbock but still tasted like sweet little piggies would have uploaded a picture of Holgate's beelzebubs but shall we say it was a bit fuzzy like me but damn it tasted good,don't think i finished the bottle though,one hell of a hangover the next day though. :icon_vomit:

My local had some "new" stock when I visited today.
SierranevadaTorpedoXIPA.jpg

Now I know what everyone is talking about. Bloody lovely. I won't describe it, most of you have tried them. Yum...

Then I had one of these:
BridgeRoadGalaxyIPA.jpg

Interesting. Like the "single hop" idea, and this was a nice beer, although (for a commercial brewer) lacking in clarity. That may have been my transporting / handling to blame.

Next was:
BridgeRoadStellaIPA.jpg

It's brother. Better clarity, paler colour, preferred the flavours of the Galaxy.

MaredsousTrappistbier.jpg

Noice!
Reminds me of Chimay Blue, but a little more subdued.
2/3 the price of Chimay.
Mmmm.

This beer tastes the way your clothes smell the next day after standing around a camp fire! Aweful!

Well, someone enjoys it, as I went back on Monday to grab a bottle for Nick and one guy had cleaned the Wine Emporium out of all their stock.

Enjoying some Victory & Coney Island beers of late, got more to drink but this is what I've had so far.

Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner 5.5%
Not blown away by this beer but still quite nice, very different from your traditional Pils.

CIMP.JPG

Coney Island Lager 5.5%
Now this is a f**king lager, it's actually got taste ! Great malt backbone & some complex hop flavour going on too.

CIL.JPG

Coney Island Sword Swallower 7.2%
It's an IPA brewed with lager yeast. Quite nice American IPA.

CISS.JPG

Victory Yakima Glory 8.7%
WOW, what an insanely good beer, serious malt in this beast with bulk hops to balance it out, loved it !

VYG.JPG

Also..
Brewdog Avery Brown Dredge 7.2%
Very nice malt in this Imperial Pilsner.

ABD.JPG

Also tried the Brewdog Alice Porter which was danm nice.

I just rounded off the Sierra Nevada standard range (of 5) and I reckon this brewery kicks ass.
They make a great nay awesome Pale Ale, IPA, Wheat, Porter & Stout !
Can't wait to get my hands on some of there seasonals & specialty beers (got the Tumbler Autumn brown in the fridge actually)

8WiredRewiredbrownale.jpg

Yum!
Subtle aroma. Great head! (maybe thats my new glasses). Delicious chocolate and caramel flavours, and smooth mouthfeel, but manages all that without being cloying. A very drinkable beer. Starting to really develop a liking for brown ales lately. The tastes of a good porter, but easier to drink. I reckon I could do 1/2 a dozen of these easily.

Back