Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Hallertau Porter Noir, hand carried back from NZ after my last trip. It was awesome. It's sort of like a dark Orval as the strong porter is aged in local Pinot Noir barrels and then dosed with Brett Brux. There isn't the fruitiness of the Orval but it was awesome.

Porter%20bottle.jpg

Anyway I dragged myself away from the strong stuff and ventured out for an Epic Armageddon IPA at the Malthouse on Courtenay Street - definitely the choice of the Employed and Homed.

B)

epic.jpg

Kia Ora

:)
Bribie are you over there for Beervana? Malthouse is the place to be this weekend. Have you tried the barrel aged IPA? It's fantatstic if you can get some. Say hi to Colin for us
:icon_cheers:
Eric

Urgh. Just finished a brown ale from some NZ brewery called 8 Wires. It was pretty repugnant. Smelled a bit like white wine and tasted a bit like red wine and was so astringent my mouth now feels like I've been eating something abrasive. Terrible.

Interesting. I haven't had the Brown Ale but I liked 8Wired's Red Dwarf Amber and have a bottle of the iStout. I've also heard great things about their IPA.

Urgh. Just finished a brown ale from some NZ brewery called 8 Wires. It was pretty repugnant. Smelled a bit like white wine and tasted a bit like red wine and was so astringent my mouth now feels like I've been eating something abrasive. Terrible.

Might be my fault to a certain extent - I didn't check the BB prior to purchase and it is marked as Nov 10. So not the freshest but I'm not sure how that might make it so astringent.

Will still check out some more of theirs should I get the chance. Let us know what you end up thinking of the stout.

Dj vu.... You're good with the cut & paste bum. :D

If you have a bit of a scroll backwards on both boards you'll see I do usually try to make them pretty different but I have been sprung pretty bad on this one - but in my defence the beer didn't seem to be worth the effort.

(seen modelled here by the beautiful Miss Biscuit) -

She is mate. She is. Looks remarkably like one of mine but I'm pretty sure you didn't steal him and he'd be upset if we suggested he was anything less than a boy just because he had bits of his tadger set removed as a young'un.

OT sorry.

I'm planning to have a Beer Geek Brunch Weasel next Sunday - any suggestions for a food pairing that would do it justice?

I have had 2 bottles of this and both where great, much like the Lil creautres but a bit more hoppy. There have been a few bottles I have bought from stores in Melb online that I have received well over the BB date, I had one on Sat night that the BB was May this year and was very oxidised, ended up pouring half of it down the sink.

We went to The blue orchid thai last night it was so nice and they had a range of top beers sorry no photos,I started with DON DE DIEU 750ml he said thats the last bottle to be released here so I brought the bottle home next I had Chambly and finished with TrappistesRochefort I think thats it I am pretty average today and the wallet is too but is was worth having a baby sitter for a change and a great meal with the wife.

I have had 2 bottles of this and both where great, much like the Lil creautres but a bit more hoppy.

Funny you should say that - I happened to follow it up with a LC Brown that night and there were absolutely no points of comparison at all. I'm happy to call my bottle a dud and will try again in the future because one of the few improvements that could be made on LC's Brown is to add more hops so I look forward to trying a good one.

Had an 8 wired Hopwired IPA the other night in Wullington and it was excellent if you like stuff hopped to 3000 IBU, not really to my taste as I'm more of a malt man, but a very well made beer nonetheless.

Had a Colonial Brewing Company tasting paddle this arvo.

Kolsch - Great tasting with lots of subtle flavour
Whitbeer - A bit disapointing, fairly tasteless and bland. (Feral White is a much better beer imo)
Pale Ale - Very drinkable pale ale, with what i can only desribe as very balanced malt and hop tastes.
IPA - A new favorite beer for me! Just great, hoppy on the nose and very biscuity.
Porter - Also a great beer, the coffee and dark choclate flavours come through well.

I purchased a growler and had to decide between the porter and the IPA and ended up with the IPA.

DSCN1239.JPG

Mikkeller Big Worse - Opened with absolutely no pop like its big brother I had a few weeks ago. Much like the Big Worst, this poured very murky - even after a week in the fridge. Flat as a tack. First thing you smell is bitter dark chocolate and dark fruit. Taste is more dark fruit, orange zest, very sweet - if not for the bitterness this would be a Christmas pud. None of the choc found in the aroma. The bitterness upfront, while definitely present, seems entirely muted for a barleywine but the bitterness in the very long fade is really nice. Subtle but firm hop resin flavour coming through. I'm enjoying this one much more than its bigger, cask aged brother but I can't shake the feeling with every taste that I'm drinking unfermented wort. It'll be an absolute cracker once I throw some 1272 on it!

Had an 8 wired Hopwired IPA the other night in Wullington and it was excellent if you like stuff hopped to 3000 IBU, not really to my taste as I'm more of a malt man, but a very well made beer nonetheless.

Me too. Although I wasnt that impressed. There are much better IPAs in NZ imho. But is possible that Im coming to the conclusion that I may not like Motueka. Barrel aged Armageddon was much better (although the barrel aging seems to have tamed it a bit).

cheers
Andrew.

Hey bum, where do you get your beer? I always see you talking about unheard of brews, to me, in this thread.

Some I get from Slowbeer and some I get from Purvis*. Both have online stores so if you can't get to them in person give them a Google. Both shops might be a little intimidating if you don't know what the bottles you're looking at are but the staff at both are very helpful so don't be afraid to ask for advice.

*I also get some that I post from Uncle Dan's or 1st Choice - both do occasionally get in the odd cracker.

[EDIT: typedo]

Its that time of year again (fathers day / bday / xmas) so have just put in my first beerstore.co.nz order of the year :icon_drool2: Now all I have to do is sit back and dream about the delicous package due in a few days time!!

Lagunitas Maximus
Stone Ruination IPA
- Beer and glass
Flying Dog Raging Bitch
Rogue Mocha Porter
Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA
Anchor Porter

Will update as I drink em :icon_cheers:

But is possible that Im coming to the conclusion that I may not like Motueka.
I think I have this problem too.
Every beer i've brewed with it, didn't come out nearly as nice as I was thinking. Every beer i've drank brewed with it hasn't been nearly as nice as I was expecting. Not so much the nose, but the flavour and bitterness.

Latest posts

Back