Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone allways harps on about how fruity and citrusy motueka is but personally I find it quite spicy and earthy with hints of citrus, I too am not a great fan of it, but each to their own!

Everyone allways harps on about how fruity and citrusy motueka is but personally I find it quite spicy and earthy with hints of citrus, I too am not a great fan of it, but each to their own!

:eek: Blasphemy!

:ph34r: My favourite NZ hop.

Like glaxy it is one that needs some age. when young its got mild citrus and rough around the collar chinook charcters. kinda spicy, woodsy, citrus but when it mellows it has alot of a saaz charcter. Spicy and peppery.

Single addition FWH in a cream ale or CAP. :chug:

I think it's time I start tasting what's out there, and try to pick the flavours, and aspects of the beers I am tasting. I am not very good at describing the flavours that I am picking up, so please bear with me if what I am describing seems extremely amateur that's because it is!!

Without going out of my way to get some craft beers just yet, I'll start with a stubbie of Guinness Extra stout I had at home.

I drank this last night, and made some quick notes afterwards.

Guinness_Extra_Stout_Bottle.JPG

Pulled it our of the fridge for about 15 minutes to let warm up slightly, poured with a light tan head that I was hoping to be thicker for a stout, but it tried to hang around to the bottom of the glass (may have been because of the headmaster I drank it from).

Guinness_Extra_Stout_Full.JPG

Not quite black, with a deep toffee hue coming through the thinner parts of the glass.

Guinness_Extra_Stout_colour.JPG

A slight roasty aroma, no floral hops that I could pick up.

Fairly thin on the tongue, a medium roasted grain flavour, astringent coffee and somewhat sour mid flavour, which also lends to a dry taste, finishing with a thin bitterness that stays for a moment. It does have a slight aspect that remind me of Guinness draught perhaps this is the roasted barley / faintly sour, combination?

I did enjoy this beer and I would drink it again, but it did seem a bit 'thin' for my liking of stout.

Guinness_Extra_Stout_Empty.JPG

I think it's time I start tasting what's out there, and try to pick the flavours, and aspects of the beers I am tasting. I am not very good at describing the flavours that I am picking up, so please bear with me if what I am describing seems extremely amateur that's because it is!!
No one has had a go at me about this yet so I doubt anyone is gonna start on you any time soon. Trying as many beers as I can get my hands on is one of the best things I've done to help me realise what I want to do with my brewing. Very important process you've just started - it is very hard work and going to take dedication on your part...

No one has had a go at me about this yet so I doubt anyone is gonna start on you any time soon. Trying as many beers as I can get my hands on is one of the best things I've done to help me realise what I want to do with my brewing. Very important process you've just started - it is very hard work and going to take dedication on your part...

I want to keep making an effort to go out of my way to hunt down different styles, and try to assess each one for what theyre worth, not just go
gulp.... shit, cos I wasnt expecting that..
gulp... ok i guess
gulp... bewdy.. I think...
(which is what I have done years ago with craft beers but refuse to do now)

Now it frustrates me when my mates do that,
anyway i wont get off topic in this thread.
Going to Dans tonight to pick up a selection.

JD

+1 to that bum. The best thing I did for my own brewing is to get selections of different craft beers from Dan's, especially the ones that mention varieties of malts or hops (at least hint heavily to the discerning (and google-savvy) drinker). And Dan's sticking them in the fridge has been fantastic, as I can leisurely walk around the fridge and know I can drink it when I get home.

As a result, I now have a freezer full of half used hop bags of a dozen varieties and I'm producing far more varied, subtle and not subtle and complex beers. It's getting to the point where SWMBO is saying to me "do you have any more of [insert beer] of your home brew, it's gorgeous", rather than "your stupid hobby has made my floor sticky again".

As to the topic:

Knappstein (nice to taste a commercial beer using Nelson Sauvin hops - one of my current favourite varieties.
Pepperjack Ale - an expensive habit though
WR White Ale - the good bottles are fantastic, though there are a couple of average ones every now and then (but still pretty drinkable)

The other thing that all these different varieties have done for me is to make me into a real hop head - yum yum yum! :icon_drool2:

Goomba

Sipping some ol' trusty Coopers Stout, just making the most of what is left of the cold.

Had a pint of Hargreave Hill's Stout at Mrs Parma's last night. Looked the goods, smelled really fantastic but was served much too cold so I can't make a proper assessment on flavour. I normally would have just bought a pint of something else to drink while that warmed but we were only in for the one. Quite tasty nonetheless but there was a metallic quality to it at that temp but I'm sure it would have moved to the back had it not been served at like 2C or whatever it was. Really hope I can try it again at a temp that doesn't hurt my teeth soon.

I'm drinking some Southern Tier Cuvee 2 Oak Aged Ale at the moment. Wow is all I can say. There's chocolate, there's oak, vanilla, malt, port, alcohol and more. It's just a beautifully crafted 11% ale. It's also pairing amazingly well with a birthday dinner of Galloway Steak with Foie, Cocoa Sauce and Vanilla Green Beans.

budvardark.jpg

Saw this at Camperdown Cellars, Camperdown. I had never heard of it, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I am really enjoying this. Noble hops on the nose, plus some interesting, almost musty, but pleasant aromas. Some marmalade notes.
Taste is amazingly not as sweet as I had anticipated, kind of woody and tobaccoey like a nice cigar savoury. There is a very mild grain sweetness to back it up. I guess this is a schwartzbier. I would love a keg of this.

St Peter's Honey Porter

Honey_Porter.jpg

I've been unimpressed with beers claiming to have honey in them since Young's Waggledance in the '90s.

Mainly because I love honey, and the beers are always a let down.

This is a revelation, however.

Pours a rich reddish brown, settles to almost flat, a southern beer through and through.

It has a bouquet like ... well, a bouquet. It actually smells like pollen. Beautiful.

So much so that the first sip is shockingly bitter, almost sour. Not because it is particularly bitter, but I was all set up to taste mead.

On the second sip a rounded malty honey flavour jostles for position, edging into the palate and making me regret i've only got one of these bottles to hand :chug:

albascotspineale.jpg

Interesting. This is different to my expectation of a heavy resinous beer. This is quite light and refreshing, and almost bubblegumish (although perhaps mixed with pine shavings). I would actually drink this again, which again defies my original expectation of a 'one off novelty beer'.

Mikkeller Single Hop Nugget IPA. Slightly oxidised with an unexciting aroma. Quite dull actually :(

Nice photos there Bizier

Pic from yesterday of a beer that Batz brought around on his weekend visit:

View attachment 40367
(Apologies for the average pic quality!)

Never even heard of it, but not a bad drop at all. Never been a huge belgian fan, but this is dangerously drinkable

Cheers

I have seen these around and have been meaning to pick one up. Looking at the colour of that makes me definitely want to pick one up.

I finished up with a Cantillon Fou' Foune last night. Holy crap! That beer is one sour mother of a beer. I got heaps of funky goodness but the acetic sourness was almost too much for me and I normally love Cantillon lambic.

Apologies for horrible reviews but dude is maggot.

Sometime before my so-called freinds convinced me to have two drinks that had 11 shots total I had the following beers:

Hargreaves Hill ESB (tap) - to be honest it wasn't entirely like other ESBs I'd had before but was very tasty and will certainly have many more given the opportunity.

2 Brothers Growler - So this venue only had 2 beers on tap, the above ESB (which I ordered without reservation) and this. I didn't know anything about this beer but was told it was a "dark lager" so ordered it. Prior to it arriving I look at the venue's ludicrous menu and saw it proclaimed as a "dark ale". Is it either? No. It is some stouty looking thing that tastes like wizzfizz.

Rodenbach Grand Cru - Holy shit. I don't even know how to talk about this beer. Amazing but so far beyond most of my beery experiences that I can't even put into words what I liked about it.

Amongst others, I also had a cocktail called a "Zombie". Pretty aptly named. 5 types of rum, absinthe, and a bunch of shit that doesn't even matter because there are 5 types of rum and absinthe.

5 types of rum, absinthe, and a bunch of shit that doesn't even matter because there are 5 types of rum and absinthe.

haha funny shit i drank half bottle of mums absinthe one night was ok coz she drank the rest think it was like 10 year old :p

St Peter's Honey Porter

Honey_Porter.jpg

I've been unimpressed with beers claiming to have honey in them since Young's Waggledance in the '90s.

Mainly because I love honey, and the beers are always a let down.

This is a revelation, however.

Pours a rich reddish brown, settles to almost flat, a southern beer through and through.

It has a bouquet like ... well, a bouquet. It actually smells like pollen. Beautiful.

So much so that the first sip is shockingly bitter, almost sour. Not because it is particularly bitter, but I was all set up to taste mead.

On the second sip a rounded malty honey flavour jostles for position, edging into the palate and making me regret i've only got one of these bottles to hand :chug:

I dont mean to be rude, but I am pretty sure, (but too lazy to chekc) but I think this beer uses honey essence, ie no real honey, and when I had the misfortune of tasting it due to it was the most revolting non-noey flavour I have ever tasted in a honey beer, more tasting or rotten grain than anything else and smelt like it too

I note ratebeer gives it a wide berth too

Some samples I picked up today from First Choice and Dan Murphy's

Cant wait for beer tasting day

Beer.jpg

Back