Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Tap at the Wheatsheaf

Steam Exchange Truffles Porter

Steam_Exchange_Truffles_Porter.JPGSteam_Exchange_Truffles_Porter_Badge.JPG

Went along with a mate to throw some darts, and to have "this amazing stout with wild turkey bourbon in it" at the wheaty.

Was pretty dark and I had a few brews beforehand, but I tried to appreciate this one for what it was worth.
Poured from tap, nice head, which didn't seem to last. As far as I could see at that stage it was black. Choc, sweet aroma. Dry grainy qualities midway. Rich chocolate, with sweet dessert bourbon qualities coming through, ending with the thin bitterness of porter. I think the vanilla was hiding, but was definitely smooth. I would love to have one with a rich winter dessert, would top it off. Didn't love it as much as my mate, who rekoned he could "drink it all night". hmmmm

On Tap at the Wheatsheaf

Steam Exchange Truffles Porter

View attachment 40224View attachment 40225

Went along with a mate to throw some darts, and to have "this amazing stout with wild turkey bourbon in it" at the wheaty.

Was pretty dark and I had a few brews beforehand, but I tried to appreciate this one for what it was worth.
Poured from tap, nice head, which didn't seem to last. As far as I could see at that stage it was black. Choc, sweet aroma. Dry grainy qualities midway. Rich chocolate, with sweet dessert bourbon qualities coming through, ending with the thin bitterness of porter. I think the vanilla was hiding, but was definitely smooth. I would love to have one with a rich winter dessert, would top it off. Didn't love it as much as my mate, who rekoned he could "drink it all night". hmmmm

I don't know how this has developed in the last couple of years, but when I visited the brewery, the owner told me that it was aimed for women who visited and didn't really like beer. It's a pretty strong sweet brew I seem to recall.

The brewer had a nickname for it - the leg spreader!

... so, this mate of yours ... :D

Had a "La Fin du Monde" the other night - first ever - I was blown away! Just so much complexity there, yet not over the top. Definitely go another when I get the chance...

Cheers.

James Squire - Hop Thief 09

ok, no photos, i think ive already placed photos of this beer. anyway, the reason for the post is i have finally been able to confirm what Jamil said to me when he was down for THE BEER AND BREWER EXPO. Basically all of the US beers we get here are oxidised. Its as simple as that, if it aint less than a few months (at the most) old, its most likly oxidised.

That big deep sweet toffee character you get.... oxidiation. We had a couple of sourthern tier beers together and he confirmed they do not taste like that back home, definitely oxidation. i had an inkling this was the case but i was glad he confirmed it for me. Until today i had only experienced this character in US hop driven beers and was assuming it had soemthign todo with the hops or malt specifically. Today is the first day i have had it in a locally made beer.

My conclusion at this point is any beers with high hopping rates and a decent portion of specialty malts/crystal will get this rich oxidated quality.

Personally i love the character, unfortuantly we dont get the US beers as fresh as they should be :(

I would say it may not be so much age but heat and motion that as caused the accellerated oxidation flavours, a few months really is not much but put it in a warm hold of a boat rocking back and forth and then the heat and motion will drastically increase the oxidation.

Also i don't think it is so much hoppy beers but more so (light beers will get the papery etc) but what you are talking about with the hoppy beers it will most likely be (the oxidation of )the melanoidin content in the extra maltiness to back the hops which are giving you the sweet toffee, not really anything to do with the extra hoppiness of the beer but the xtra maltiness of the beer,

gee whiz just tried to read that myself, might be time to put the beer down and step back from the keyboard. :icon_vomit:
I am sure it makes sense anyway despite the grammer

i pick up oxidisation heaps, on the palate its dusty and stale, finishing its dusty, regardless of hops the staleness is always "first" in my mouth.
Overseas beers let theselves down via transport, BUT, if we had more Stone n Woods, I wouldnt need to brew.

But I would :icon_cheers:

Duvel Tripel Hop 9.5%. I shared this a few weeks ago with a neighbour. Duvel Tripel Hop was a limited edition beer made 3 years ago and lists Saaz, Styrian Goldings and Amarillo on the hop bill. There were some remnants of the hop character still present, however the maltiness was definitely shining through. This beer was nice, however it would've been amazing to try when it was only a few months old.

SNC00366.jpg

i pick up oxidisation heaps, on the palate its dusty and stale, finishing its dusty, regardless of hops the staleness is always "first" in my mouth.
Overseas beers let theselves down via transport, BUT, if we had more Stone n Woods, I wouldnt need to brew.

But I would :icon_cheers:

Yeap that is very common which is more oxidize alcohols rather then the sweet sherry toffee of the melanoidins, getting that in some punk IPA I got from dan murphys, unlike the sweet sherry toffee oxidation that type is never really a nice thing. the melanoidin oxidization of sweet sherry toffee can be quite ok and add to beer, the stale dusty wet cardboard is not too nice ussually.

White Rabbit - White Ale

No photos sorry.....

Their dark ale is amazing.... I don't really know what to think about the White Ale, is it meant for lager drinkers? I haven't got a developed palette, but where is the flavour?

Eugene City Brewery (but Rogue, really) Triple Jump Ale. Nice copper colour, fast fading head. Hops are actually a touch too far forward for me(!!!). Well, maybe there just isn't enough malt going on. Some lovely citrus and grassiness but perhaps the simcoe was slightly over done for me. There's a nice spicy/light warm alc thing going on at the end which does make one want some more regardless of there being a slightly shitful aftertaste (somewhat rough linger).

(Too late for an edit)

For the second glass I accidentally roused pretty much all of the yeast - this glass is a lot smoother. I'll definitely be rolling this beer when I get it again.

White Rabbit - White Ale

No photos sorry.....

Their dark ale is amazing.... I don't really know what to think about the White Ale, is it meant for lager drinkers? I haven't got a developed palette, but where is the flavour?

Heres one for you. Have to say I disagree with your review, I found the White ale to be amazing. Reminded me of the Unibroue - Blanche De Chambly. I loved everything about it, especially the hint of honey at the end. Ill be buying it again for sure, it is a shame you didn't get one as nice. Maybe next time.

White_Rabbit___White_Ale.JPG

Heres one for you. Have to say I disagree with your review, I found the White ale to be amazing. Reminded me of the Unibroue - Blanche De Chambly. I loved everything about it, especially the hint of honey at the end. Ill be buying it again for sure, it is a shame you didn't get one as nice. Maybe next time.
That's exactly my feeling about this beer.
On tap and in bottle I found it a very nice wit type beer with a hint of something different.

Goes great with fresh fish and chips!

I've had both amazing and bland bottles of the white ale. More bland than amazing unfortunately but when you get a good one this is an impressive drop.

Can anyone help me find a Kolsch in sydney ? I only ever had one at the Lagoon restaurant in Wollongong,

I've tried camperdown cellars, dan murphys

thanks

Have you tried 4Pines in manly?

Not sure who they distribute to, but it would be your best bet

Maybe the Australian hotel in the rocks stock them?

I will have to give it another go! I have read some other reviews that said it was a great drop. I will have to try it again and see. I didn't get any honey hopefully I will next time!

That's exactly my feeling about this beer.
On tap and in bottle I found it a very nice wit type beer with a hint of something different.
Goes great with fresh fish and chips!

Hmm looks like i have to try it again as well, i hard it early on at the good food and wine show in Melbourne on tap and it was really insipid. it may have been the serving temp or the recipe has been adjusted since then but at that point it tasted like alot of nothing.

I'll pick up a bottle the next time im buying some commercial beer! ;)

Can anyone help me find a Kolsch in sydney ? I only ever had one at the Lagoon restaurant in Wollongong,

I've tried camperdown cellars, dan murphys

thanks
As far as Kolsch goes, and this is one of many problems/issues with the style, is they are quite delicate, light sort of beer, and thusly doesn't travel too well. If you were after an authentic German example, you'd wanna make sure it's really fresh.
Otherwise there are a few Aussie breweries brewing their own, and they can be hit and miss...even moreso than the German ones.
I'm yet to be blown away by a commercial example of this style, yet the couple of homebrewed versions i've tried have been quite good, which really seems to accentuate the point that freshness, and quality ingredients, are important to this style.
JoshuaHardie mentioned 4 Pines from Manly, which is probably one of the better Aussie ones i've come across...worth a try.

Back