Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN1225.JPG

Mikkeller Big Worst - Was a little scared to be opening this one to be honest. So expensive and I'm unsure if it is even ready yet. The aroma is all orangy zest, sweet malt, a not-quite wineiness (akin to Lindemann's Peche aroma but without the fruit or light funk if that makes any sense at all) and a slightly odd alc. How does it taste? BUGGER! Pretty sure this needs some more time under its belt to develop more fully. It is pulling in different directions at the moment. Tiny, tiny sips (i.e. just wetting the tip of your tongue and letting that spread) reveal lovely citrus (tangerine?) and resiny hopping but more normal tastings give very hot (but smooth) alc. Very big maltiness, as you'd expect I suppose, but it seems even more chewy and sugary here than in other barleywines I've had. Huge though the maltiness is it never noticably mutes the terrific bitterness. Ridiculously long finish on this beer. I really wish I'd bought 2 to see what this beer becones - but at that price that was never going to happen.

looks like you shook it up before opening it

Wish I had - there was bugger all pressure behind the cork and it was a prick to get out. It actually looks less murky in that picture than it really was. Can't say I've ever had a clear barleywine before though.

Wish I had - there was bugger all pressure behind the cork and it was a prick to get out. It actually looks less murky in that picture than it really was. Can't say I've ever had a clear barleywine before though.

the one made by myself, brendo, maple and CM2 is that bright you can read the paper or watch tv through it!

DSCN1228.JPG

Little Creatures Single Batch Brown Ale - Man. This is a pretty nice beer. Not terribly experience with brown ales so I can't say how good an example it is but it is a very nice beer in its own right. The only thing making me question its compliance with style is the fact that if you dropped the choc and made it finish less dry it'd be just like an APA (even colour wouldn't have to be dropped a lot to stand up to many you find Stateside). Obviously aroma would have to be upped some. Anyway...

The aroma is really nice (if a little muted for my tastes). If you go looking you find some lovely fruity hops, a little grass and a little sweetness. Bitterness is very firm but not overbearing - although it does get a little less than smooth as the beer dries out at the end. Flavour is really nice. Fruity, slightly grassy hops. Body is a little thinner than I expected but as I say I'm not all that familiar with the style so the beer is certainly not what I'd call watery. I think the little bit of choc roastiness you get at the end works unfavourably with the dry fade in this beer - it is all lively and bright up front and I think the dry roast finish kills it a little. Far from being a flaw though, just my observation.

I'd go so far as to say this is my favourite local beer in quite some time. Better grab a few more before they're all gone.

The one I had in the States was not. But then I drank it right after I took it out of the car - could easily have been prettier had I been more patient.

Either way a tasty beer will never drop in my esteem because it is a bit cloudy.

[EDIT - Oh - where the bloody hell did you get that from?]

acland cellars has 2010 big foot atm.

Just IMO, it was better fresh than it is now. It's still massively bitter, but the punch of the hops has faded. I'm going to sit on my remaining bottles for another 6 months to see what happens. Would like to see some more malt complexities emerge now that it's not such a grapefruit bonanza.

I'd go so far as to say this is my favourite local beer in quite some time. Better grab a few more before they're all gone.
Definitely try get some off the taps! I had it bottled and it was awesome, then off the tap and it was better, more tasty.

DSCN1228.JPG

Little Creatures Single Batch Brown Ale - Man. This is a pretty nice beer. Not terribly experience with brown ales so I can't say how good an example it is but it is a very nice beer in its own right. The only thing making me question its compliance with style is the fact that if you dropped the choc and made it finish less dry it'd be just like an APA (even colour wouldn't have to be dropped a lot to stand up to many you find Stateside). Obviously aroma would have to be upped some. Anyway...

The aroma is really nice (if a little muted for my tastes). If you go looking you find some lovely fruity hops, a little grass and a little sweetness. Bitterness is very firm but not overbearing - although it does get a little less than smooth as the beer dries out at the end. Flavour is really nice. Fruity, slightly grassy hops. Body is a little thinner than I expected but as I say I'm not all that familiar with the style so the beer is certainly not what I'd call watery. I think the little bit of choc roastiness you get at the end works unfavourably with the dry fade in this beer - it is all lively and bright up front and I think the dry roast finish kills it a little. Far from being a flaw though, just my observation.

They have this on tap at a local pub up here in Newcastle.
Boy was I stoked! It actually somehow seemed fresher off tap...more resinous hops and bitterness.
Could drink a whole keg of the stuff...god knows I tried!

SNC00249_1_.jpg

My first tasting tray at Feral in a recent trip to the west...I do have the list of what they were on this one somewhere at home. A pils, the White, another wheat, Hop Hog, Rust, Razorback... the second one which I didn't take a pic of included a second take of the Hop Hog and Razorback, Boris (RIS), JME10 an oaked aged belg strong, Fantapants and raging flem an belg ipa. I was really enjoying life after those two...

I should have taken more pics of what I tasted elsewhere (Elmars, Duckstein, IronBark, Mash Brewery Little Creatures, sail and Anchor) but I was enjoying myself too much :)

A couple from the latest Micro Beer Club pack

Hawthorn Amber
Really liked this one. Solid malt, some caramel notes. Balanced bitterness. A very good beer for mine.

Buckely's nuPtIaLz
At least it wasn't infected this time.

buckleyhawthorn.jpg

They have this on tap at a local pub up here in Newcastle.
Boy was I stoked! It actually somehow seemed fresher off tap...more resinous hops and bitterness.
Could drink a whole keg of the stuff...god knows I tried!

Umm... which one, Muggus?

Today's haul ... not bad for a small town bottle shop. $60 the lot.

Eeeny_meeny_miny_mo....jpg

Which bottlo Shedy ????????????????? Long time since Dan's and 1st Choice have had stock of TTL.

Screwy

Well now, that would be telling ... wouldn't it?

Here's an easy clue.

If I was a real local i'd have a bumper sticker that says "I won't shop there" (not relating to the actual shop I bought these in, though).

Black_Giraffe.JPG

Burleigh Brewing - Black Giraffe - Black Coffee Lager

Good beer for sure. Pours beautifully dark, almost black, with just an off white head. Aroma is roasty/malty and not overly coffee at all. Body is quite full considering its a lager. Smooth drinking. Coffee taste is subtle and very well balanced in with deliciously roasty malt. Not overly coffee bitter in the finish (which worries me about some coffee derived beers). I didn't notice too much hop presence but that's most likely my inexperienced palate.

Overall a top drop.

Cheers

Ebo

Latest posts

Back