Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
panspermian said:
Description please...
A very pungent aroma from a meter away, stone fruit is solid. A later bitterness that comes though with chewy resin hops on the palate. Like PeterU says it got better as it warmed up. Made me a fan or Rakua for sure. This is what double IPA should be. Pungent, no malt character and bitterness from a lot of late hopping.

Light and blonde, kinda triple but lighter. Some vanilla there.
Very nice though

1480421293592.jpg

Four Pines Pale Ale

To me this is the best APA brewed in Australia, have been enjoying it on tap for the last 5 years or so, and it's popped up in our Kyogle bottlo for $9 for 2 half litres.
Gotta brew me some of this, pretty sure I have Simcoe but will have to sub something for the Amarillo.

I guess we cant always report on good finds. Wild Yak Pacific Ale in the glass right now.
Bloody awful by my palate right now for the first beer on a Friday evening so that really bad. Sorry Matilda Bay. If this was my home brew I'd be giving it a thumbs down not to brew again.
Maybe I'm corrupted to preferring my own home brew floors or something :unsure:

Bribie G said:
Four Pines Pale Ale

To me this is the best APA brewed in Australia, have been enjoying it on tap for the last 5 years or so, and it's popped up in our Kyogle bottlo for $9 for 2 half litres.
Gotta brew me some of this, pretty sure I have Simcoe but will have to sub something for the Amarillo.
Use Ahtanum instead, with cascade and simcoe at 20mins or a cube addition make your 35ibus there and a 2g/litre citra dry hop gets you pretty close.

Spent a stinking hot Saturday arvo wrestling a new bull bar onto the Hilux. These were never going to last long.
Enough tropical hop deliciousness to keep you interested and 4.4% doesn't bash you up to much either. Short listed for a clone.

20161203_220413_zpsmxthmdno.jpg

A couple of these then rounded the evening out nicely.

20161203_220617_zpsnglqa6gp.jpg

Hawkers_IPA_grande.jpg

Truly average beer.

Not worth 6.5% alcohol allowance.

SWMBO picked up the diacetyl straight away and would not drink it.

In fact she chose to drink the last yeasty, nasty glass of IPA from the keg, as it had 'less off flavours' and 'more hoppy'

If you want a 'balanced' IPA, gopher it. To me 'balanced' is not the purpose of most IPA, especially when the distinctive hops are not present.

Bribie G said:
Four Pines Pale Ale

I enjoy this beer myself, but get yourself a pirate life pale ale before you hand it the title. Both very good beers though!

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Hawkers_IPA_grande.jpg

Truly average beer.

In fact she chose to drink the last yeasty, nasty glass of IPA from the keg, as it had 'less off flavours' and 'more hoppy'

If you want a 'balanced' IPA, gopher it. To me 'balanced' is not the purpose of most IPA, especially when the distinctive hops are not present.
Hawkers had a tap take over at a bar on the Gold Coast a few weeks ago - didn't have any that I really liked. The saison was god awful.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Hawkers_IPA_grande.jpg

Truly average beer.

Really? I think Hawkers would be my favorite brewery for the last two years! Reasonably priced and bloody delicious. And they come in a 6 pack not an overpriced to the shithouse 4 pack. Maybe try another mate, you might have copped a dud bottle?

BKBrews said:
Hawkers had a tap take over at a bar on the Gold Coast a few weeks ago - didn't have any that I really liked. The saison was god awful.
I didn't like the saison much either but surprised to hear you don't like the IPA and Pale Ale.

It wasn't truly awful, but a pickable fault in the beer by a drinker that doesn't generally notice faults unless they're major is a sure sign of QC issues.

Agreed with the per 6er price being fairly reasonable.

Fair enough. I've noticed a bit lately that what you thought was a great beer last time tastes not so great the next. I Spose small brewery's can have more variables than mega breweries.

I actually enjoyed the Saison. IPA I agree was a bit meh. The Pilsener and APA are quite decent.

Grabbed a carton of brewdog elvis juice today. Having a couple after a few ballast point even keel session ipas.

The even keels seem more bitter for a 3.8% beer than the elvis juice at 6.5% both bloody lovely though.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Hawkers_IPA_grande.jpg

Truly average beer.

I have tried this and I think it is pretty pedestrian for an IPA.

I won't buy Hawkers out of principle these days. When you hear the Hawkers story from 6 different sources (published media, directed from the brewery) and they aren't consistent. I call bullshit.

Not to mention the whole rags to riches thing doesn't really work when you have l Airline CEO on your resume'.

No thanks, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I'm not saying I won't ever buy from big breweries just be transparent.

Back