Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone's tried these before, Victoria Bitter (often referred to as VB)
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481938260.711767.jpg
Just to stir more hatred towards myself, I bought these out of my own pocket at a bottle shop. Looking for a few tinnies so I can drink in the pool area at a caravan park. Fine example of the style.
"Why!?" You may ask. Because I drink plenty of hoppy beers at home, I'm about to hit Bright Brewery, and because I don't mind VB.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481941620.321365.jpg
Bright Brewery's Staircase Porter. Decent example of a porter. Won't blow any minds (except for the $10.30/schooner bar price) but beats 150 Lashes.

I think Bright Brewery has picked up their game over the last few years. I had a smoked rye ale in there a while back that i really enjoyed. All their beers used to have a mineraly taste in the early days.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481943128.188235.jpg
Octoberfest Märzen. Now THIS is a decent beer. Remarks are 'full bodied, bready' but I'm tasting Roll ups in a beer glass. I'm not sure if I could spend a session on it but it's bloody tasty.

nosco said:
I think Bright Brewery has picked up their game over the last few years. I had a smoked rye ale in there a while back that i really enjoyed. All their beers used to have a mineraly taste in the early days.
Slightly inebriated Wiggman commenting but...
I went there last year and felt a bit ho-hum about it. 2 of the beers were alright, but the rest were average. When I saw a pic of the head brewer I was assuming the issue was beard length. Today the staple beers were probably best described as "low fault" - drinkable but typical examples of the style. The Märzen (as a seasonal brew) was an exception though and is the kind of beer where I would say "oh you're going to Bright? Try this beer" which is the quality I would expect of a craft *shudder* brewery.

Sixer of the Pirate life + hopco NZ pale ale. Worked through them at a pre chrissy lunch I just got home from. Wish I had a few more. NZ cascade, motueka and pacifica make for a damn tasty beer. Really really enjoyed these. Possibly more so as the host offered me some of his bul cub peroni's. Luckily the host was my brother and he took it ok when I told him where he could bash his peroni...

TheWiggman said:
Not sure if anyone's tried these before, Victoria Bitter (often referred to as VB)
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481938260.711767.jpg
Just to stir more hatred towards myself, I bought these out of my own pocket at a bottle shop. Looking for a few tinnies so I can drink in the pool area at a caravan park. Fine example of the style.
"Why!?" You may ask. Because I drink plenty of hoppy beers at home, I'm about to hit Bright Brewery, and because I don't mind VB.
If you can get it, TUN 5% is almost identical to VB in a green can to boot, and is only about a dollar fifty a can if you get it in the 30 can block.

VB drinkers can't tell what you are drinking from more than 3 metres away so you won't get heckled by One Nation members or tradies.

tun.jpg

given a pack of assorted beers from toobrac brewing by the mrs..the shearers lager nice drop no outstanding hops,very drinkable

Half way through a Bad Shepherd Hazelnut Brown.

A touch on the roasty-side up-front, but the Frangelico used late really rounds it out nicely....even SHMBO (who isn't a beer drinker) likes it!

And a hint of vanilla.

TheWiggman said:
Slightly inebriated Wiggman commenting but...
I went there last year and felt a bit ho-hum about it. 2 of the beers were alright, but the rest were average. When I saw a pic of the head brewer I was assuming the issue was beard length. Today the staple beers were probably best described as "low fault" - drinkable but typical examples of the style. The Märzen (as a seasonal brew) was an exception though and is the kind of beer where I would say "oh you're going to Bright? Try this beer" which is the quality I would expect of a craft *shudder* brewery.
I did the brewer the the day last year and really enjoyed it. The beers I agree are great examples of what I know as 'the' style. Friendly atmosphere and a no nonsense pragmatic approach to brewing were my take aways. Sounds like Ryan's still kicking goals as that's the market up Bright way.

PS. There's nothing wrong with a VB can when in need of a refreshing cold drink.

Bribie G said:
If you can get it, TUN 5% is almost identical to VB in a green can to boot, and is only about a dollar fifty a can if you get it in the 30 can block.

VB drinkers can't tell what you are drinking from more than 3 metres away so you won't get heckled by One Nation members or tradies.

attachicon.gif
tun.jpg
Happily drink melbourne or vic or many others including xxxx on the right occasion but my cat's chocolate freckle is more attractive to me than tun.

Like rabbit skin glue mixed with bat's piss.

But lacks the typical mouse piss of VB and XXXX that's such a signature aroma and flavour. Perhaps Tun will get it right eventually.

I was gifted a Trappist Achel 8° blond by Shaz from the bottleo at Lambton for Christmas yesterday.
Just about finished it now and I must say that it is one of the best Belgium beers I have had. Much more flavour than others I've had, a strong typical Belgian scent and taste of yeast, bananas and a little spice. A little more bitter than expected and also slightly sweet.

Lovely, thanks Shaz!

Had these with our Mexican dinner on Friday night, tasty resinous hop goodness.

image.jpeg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482028524.106459.jpg

Probably the first Clove-forward he'd I've had. It's accentuates the bitterness from what I can gather. Nice and crisp, am enjoying it however it's affirmed me love for the bananarama!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482284102.549794.jpg

5 barrels brewery (Wollongong)
Had this hoppy amber for my birthday last night.
Decent ipa-ish ale, good assertive bitterness, resinous pine and tropical hops with a good malt backbone. Loved it.

Earlier : duvel to compare to my currently conditioning strong golden. Now:westmalle tripel.

So easy to forget how soft and delicate the real stuff is. I read all the time about pushing phenolics and esters but good, strong belgian ale for me is so beautifully subtle.
Soft bread and understated fruit in a glass, harmonious, supporting bitterness.

Masters of their craft. I make nice tasting HB Belgian knockoffs I'm pretty proud of but I have some way to go if I'm honest.

Latest posts

Back