Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two Meter Tall Dark Apple Ale

Aromatics of coffee and apples. The apples smell cooked as if simmered in wine and spices. The taste is sour apples with obvious crystal malts in the background. It's very well attenuated not showing the malt sweetness from the grain and just lettinng the apple sweet/sourness sing.

It kinda reminds me of Orval in terms of the yeast, but obviously with the apple characters. Would buy again. Excellent beer.

1482628317823.jpg

Ciderman said:
Two Meter Tall Dark Apple Ale

Aromatics of coffee and apples. The apples smell cooked as if simmered in wine and spices. The taste is sour apples with obvious crystal malts in the background. It's very well attenuated not showing the malt sweetness from the grain and just lettinng the apple sweet/sourness sing.

It kinda reminds me of Orval in terms of the yeast, but obviously with the apple characters. Would buy again. Excellent beer.
Up there with my favourite beers, so great.

Pratty1 said:
How did you rate it Lodan?
Fresh fruit and crisp bitterness made it a great IPA to drink in the warm weather. But it was a little too heavy on the pineapple/passionfruit for me to return for anymore than 2 beers; there must be a metric sh!tload of hops in there

After a day at the pub drinking free feral hop hogs, and having a free bbq too. I was a given Mad Abbott Christmas ale quadruple from a friend.On the bike ride home I decided to sit down at the water and take it in.

523.jpeg

20161226_173310.jpeg

When people look askance at the derro drinking in the public park, raise a finger and say '**** you - it's craft beer'.

There were a couple of posers that came through that just about made me say exactly that. One woman coughed to her husband "look at that" I looked back with a big smile and thought if you only knew.

Mayday Hills/Bridgeroad Brewers. Yee-Hah.

Ive wanted to try this for a while as ive never had a brett beer that i know of. It uses an american brett i think so i dont know if its representative of other brett beers.
I got a whiff of fruity hop aroma at first but that turned into sort beezwax or pollen smell. Hard to describe. Slighty sweet honey, spicey kind of musty up front and finishes pretty dry. Im glad it didnt taste like a wet horse blanket Very different to anything else ive had before so im not sure what to make of it but i did enjoy it.

1482819664139.jpg

2 Meter Tall Christmas Pudding Ale

Sampled at cellar door. Handpump. Would not have tried based on name (as i hate xmas pudding) but thought i would at least give it a go.

5 year old beer brewed with apples and cherry. Flanders like. Actually it reminds me alot Pinot Noir.

Racy acidity seemlessly integrates with fruit sweetness. Epic beer. Not available in bottle but they poured me off one into swingtop.

In an age when anyone can brew beer you really have to appreciate a brewer who is actually embracing a sense of place by growing all his ingredients.

Clearly ahead of his time.

1482826200693.jpg

IBC pays off again. Ball & Chain smoked doppelbock collab brew (De Molen and Sound Brewing). Haven't genuinely enjoyed a smoked beer until now. The sweetness from the crystal with the smoked works in sync. Just like the Puscifer Rock Am Ring concert I'm watching. Bliss.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483105901.799553.jpg

Picked a few mixed bottles up yesterday from Dan's.Wife noticed the unusual shaped bottle of St Peters Ruby Red Ale-good pick.
Label says barley and rye plus Styrian Golding hops - nothing overpowering flavour wise just a nice combination-definitely buy again + will try to find a similar recipe to brew,Rob.

IMG_2716.JPG

Fullers Past Masters 1914 Strong X
Sweet, rich and malty, weighing in at 7.3% ABV.
Fullers London Pride and ESB, either in a bottle or keg, have a taste to them that I'm not keen on. The cask version of those beers doesn't have that taste and are much nicer. All of the Past Master series of beers I've had are bottle conditioned and they are beautiful beers, including this one.

Fullers.jpg

JS Porter.

Only one from JS I'd willingly purchase, given any kind of choice. The others I'd drink free at a barbie or order pints if the remaining selection was miserable but I generally don't rate. Currently under $15 a sixer at a nearby bottlo so for that price, it's very enjoyable. Lots of burnt toast and coffee, good at cellar temp.

No sam smith's taddy but tasty beer nonetheless.

koolkuna said:
Anyone tried Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA?
Yeah it's nothing special, lacking any real IPA hop character but it's cheap, I think I saw it for $60 the other day. The Atomic Pale is better in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back