Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My score today:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484388768.770858.jpg

Also had a brewtal Jack the riipa, a west coast thrash and whatever the Newstead Red double IPA was called - all on tap at Newstead brewing co.

Going back a few pages to a conversation about 2016 Duvel Triple Hop...

Tahoose said:
We are importing the Duvel Triple Hop, along with the other brands under the Duvel-Moortgardt label. We being Beer Importers and Distributors.

These are not cold shipped but they should hold up well regardless. Don't get me wrong I'm all for cold storage of beers but the Belgians do it a little bit differently. For example, the standard process for Duvel see's the beer being bottle conditioned in a reasonably hot environment. Plus the production process takes 3 months before it leave the brewery..
MHB said:
I have tasted the difference and don't agree!
No beer really improves in transit, shove it in a steel box and move it back and forward across the equator a couple of times at it travels halfway around the planet and you aren't doing it any favours.
Times are changing if you are going to sell imported premium beer, it's time to start treating it the way it deserves - if you wont others will.
I've had an opportunity to perform an interesting test. My best friend now lives in Canada, but we both enjoy good beer. In fact, we have done a beer tour of Belgium together. I mentioned to him my disappointment with the 2016 Duvel Triple Hop and he said he tried it too and thought it was quite a nice drop. Not as intense as 2013, but better than 2014. He offered to bring back some with him from Canada.

Fast forward to January 2017. After a trip to Barny's in Sydney we have three bottles of 2016 Duvel Triple Hop to taste side by side. The result:

• Beer Cartel - boozy and vinegary. No hop aroma at all and slightly solventy tang.
  • Barny's - slightly better than above. Less vinegar and solvent and maybe a hint of hop, but still a pretty bad beer.
  • Hand imported from Toronto, Canada - nice balance of malt and hop aroma and flavour. A distinct Belgian / Duvel yeast character that gave way to the hops. Tasted like a completely different product to the two beers above.
Clearly the handling of the beer matters. A lot. In this instance I would say that BID ruined a good beer. Quite simply, BID need to improve their game, otherwise they are just ruining the reputation of good beer and wasting everyones money.

Now for the prices:
  • Beer Cartel - $11.50
  • Barny's - can't find the receipt, but somewhere in the $14-$18 range
  • Canada - about AUD$3.90
:angry:

Holy mother of god, this was good. Like fantastically good. I'd recommend it to anyone. Wheaten doppelbock done as an eisbock. Jesus that made a good night out of a crap day/week.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484450422.497656.jpg

Decent drop from a brewery/winery cellar door at kellybrook winery.

Touch too astringent for how I like my porters, but otherwise a great find for a day meant to be going to wineries.

1484472115106.jpg

After a manic middle of the day at Questacon with the (feral) chilluns, SWMBO volunteered for a grog run to Uncle Dans.
She returned with a six pack of each of these, bless her.

They're all terrific...but for a 7% beer the Pineapple Sculpin is dangerously moreish.

med_gallery_30557_1283_1057015.jpg

Grabbed the Duvel and Chimay gift boxes that were on special at the bottlo.
Was getting them for the glasses thinking that they probably wouldn't have been stored very well though they have all tasted as good as I'd remembered.

568.jpeg

The Duvel glass is my favourite (big capacity), followed by Chimay glass in the second place. The printing will eventually fade and wear out, even with hand washing, on both glasses, but they are both still excellent choice for most types of beer.

Trying a few brews at Russian River. FYI Pliny is very nice but I put Pirate Life & Heretic Evil Cousin ahead of it. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484603237.405142.jpg

All this luxuriating on near deserted beaches, frolicking in the surf and sipping fine beer started getting old.
So glad I'm back at work today.

20161217_134014_zpscioivejj.jpg

20161220_145515_zpsmnq03lwc.jpg

20161224_141314_zps9hkrt5ut.jpg

The last of my pre xmas beer spend up. An imperial sweet potato red ale. Luckily i spent up on some pre Australia day beers.

1484652358695.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484703810.960209.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484703841.923191.jpg

Just got a private tour & now he refuses to let me pay for a beer!

I've changed my mind, maybe there is a god!

manticle said:
JS Porter.

Only one from JS I'd willingly purchase, given any kind of choice. The others I'd drink free at a barbie or order pints if the remaining selection was miserable but I generally don't rate. Currently under $15 a sixer at a nearby bottlo so for that price, it's very enjoyable. Lots of burnt toast and coffee, good at cellar temp.

No sam smith's taddy but tasty beer nonetheless.
They did a rum rebellion with the Porter years ago aged in barrels which was very nice

Tried a Great Northern lager on tap in Penrith when I was up there for futsal nationals recently. Made me wish I'd ordered Carlton draught. Nothing faulty but so incredibly bland and lifeless, it was like soda water.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484719361.083773.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484719377.780480.jpg

This is me pushing the button to start the new batch of Heretic Evil Twin. Also me & Tasty enjoying a nice fresh pint of Evil Twin.

Went to my favourite local and bought myself a smorgasbord :icon_cheers:
The last photo were my favourite picks from 2016; I couldn't make a choice between the Beaver Town Black Betty or the SN wheat beer :icon_drool2:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Getting my drink on at Lagunitas brewery. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484789978.457450.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484789993.475739.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484790003.253637.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484790013.843271.jpg

These guys are producing quality stuff

A week ago on a little journey to pick up 50 Silver Perch hatchlings from Glenvale in Victoria I passed through Coldstream.
Seeing the brewery I had to stop on the way back and get samples etc. Just as I ideally hoped they had a mixed six pack package.
I got the 6 mix from the chilled fridge. So a week later I have tried them all. Passes all my limited but critical judging skills. The four beers are all 4.5%. The two ciders are 5%.

Australian Pale Ale. (exacty that as to category of style)

Golden Ale. (a bit more than above in malt/body but nothing more really outstanding)

Czech Pilsner. My favourite of them all. This was nice lager. Very nice. The aroma says it then the flavour confirms it. Yummo.

Grand Porter. Check the ABV before opening its 4.5% so I didn't expect the warm alcohol flavours of Porter as I know it but this is interesting. Almost plum flavour background or something. I'd grab some more out of flavour curiosity if I get past there again.

Apple Cider. (Its perfectly good Apple Cider. Nothing outstanding other than its too sweet for me like most Ciders)

Pear Cider in a can. (Equal to the Apple Cider description)

$0.02

New World Pilsner-Motueka +Cascade,mmm-read on their website it has oats as well-don't know if they use rolled or malted oats.Found this at Dans couple of weeks ago-very nice flavour-I've bought a couple more tins this eveIMG_0001.JPG

Here's what i picked up today. I read about Westside Ale Works in Sth Melbourne today. Work finished early so i popped over. Its a macro/nano? brewery doing San Diego style beers. A 500lt Braumeister and 2 fermenters. There should be a macro/nano brewery in every town.
The rest I got from Hop Heads in Point Cook. Cant wait to try them but it might have to wait till the weekend.

1484821008124.jpg

Back