Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested to see what 8 months has done to that beer. Can see it being a grower.

Will be hanging out at the brewery bar in a few weeks.

Just sayin'.
Was starting to think I might like you, but that has just shifted to loathing ;)

Well, it'll be my second time there so I probably won't even be excited about it.

Does that help any?

IMG_20131106_160247.jpg

One word, Fantastic!!

Lucky enough to sample this with a mate over the weekend. At room temp, the bottle hadn't been anywhere near a fridge.

Cheers Jefin

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Hi Liam

Came out of their store room so not 100% sure, would guess around 18deg maybe a bit lower.

Cheers Jefin

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Had this yesterday and really enjoyed it, but admit I'm no expert in taste testing of Belgians. But this is a definite substitute in winter for a hot chocolate I reckon!! Would buy again for $6.50 happily.
Had some of this at easter this year and really disliked it - would be interested to see if some age might have helped it.

Tried saison dupont last night. Fantastic drop, well worth the $13 for the bottle. Dangerously drinkable though....

B.C. said:
Tried saison dupont last night. Fantastic drop, well worth the $13 for the bottle. Dangerously drinkable though....
Jealous. Must try it. Online beer shops are making a killing off me lately haha

Yea +1 on dupont, ibcan see what the fuss is all about ;

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

Drinking my first Orval while I brew a Flanders brown. Not as intense as some of the sours I've been drinking lately, but very nice, though I realise it's more a funky beer than a sour beer. Not super funky, and the warmer it gets the better it gets. Possibly thinking of splitting my Flanders brown between roselare, and then doing a 100% brett b beer Flanders brown. I'll be able to drink it much quicker than the roselare one, only one year compared to 2 haha

Cheers mate. Sipping on a red duck "gnaume". Very mild sourness, but I really like it. Session sour!!. Would love to know a rough guide for controlling (or attempting to) sourness in sours.

I'm following this up with another Orval. I'm liking the idea of a 100% brett fermentation. Mainly because from what I can see in the intermanets, they can be drunk quicker than a lambic. Still a good 6 months but that's a lot quicker than a lambic. Then I've got stuff to drink while I wait for the sours.

mje1980 said:
Drinking my first Orval while I brew a Flanders brown. Not as intense as some of the sours I've been drinking lately, but very nice, though I realise it's more a funky beer than a sour beer. Not super funky, and the warmer it gets the better it gets. Possibly thinking of splitting my Flanders brown between roselare, and then doing a 100% brett b beer Flanders brown. I'll be able to drink it much quicker than the roselare one, only one year compared to 2 haha

Orval is a strange beast, and though they all taste "Orvally" the beer changes heaps over it's time in the bottle. Fresh ones are really quite (noble) hoppy with a tinge of brett, and once they've got a few months in the bottle they get super dry, mildly funky (but definitely bretty) and with a sharp carb. It's great at all stages, and bloody hard to clone. I haven't even come close in 4-5 attempts from "good" recipes.

100% brett fermentation with Brett trois is over in 2 weeks with a good starter - just like a sacc fermentation! Definitely a different end of the flavour spectrum to brett B though.

So you can bottle after it's reached fg?, I guess it sounds obvious haha. Who in oz sells brett trois??

Anyone who stocks white labs can order it in. It wouldn't substitute for brett brux though - it's got pretty different flavours. Trois is very fruity and clean, I've used in a fruity american IPA for example. Good for experimenting with brett, but doesn't substitute for brux or lambicus in more traditional funky styles.

Ok mate cheers for the advice. Which is best for 100% brett?, brett b??

Depends what you want it to taste like! If you're after an orval style, then do an initial ferm with something dry and british like Notto, then pitch brett brux. and wait a few months.

I've not made a 100% brett brux. beer, so I can't comment. I have made brett brux trois beers, and they give a fruity-bitter result (as opposed to fruity-sweet) and work in hoppy styles or something like a single or blonde would be good. It's not going to taste very funky at all.

Try them all I reckon!

IMG_20131108_173934.jpg

Drinking this rite now, quite a nice porter. Their hop bazooka is a nice drop too.

2013-11-01_14-40-13_327.jpg

Had this one last week. All I can say is yum!

hoptopium.JPG

10.4% 100 ibu's and its like sucking on a hop cone
If you are ever up the blue mountains I would strongly recommend visiting the bottle shop in leura, it has an awesome range of local and imported beer

cheers steve

Latest posts

Back