Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tricache said:
attachicon.gif
1012720_10151965363244400_608248971_n.jpg

Saw it at Aldi for under $2 a bottle and had to try it...wish I went and got a VB instead :icon_vomit:

Tasted like it needed to be left in the fermenter for another week or so but what do you expect for 0%
Ahahahaa.... I was in... Somewhere in Germany for a connecting flight earlier this year.
Went down to the local something-a-rather shop to have a few beers. Ended up with 2 non-alcohol beers.

Most syrupy bs ever, only 2 beers i have ever poured down a drain. (Except 5 year old tinnies found under the house.)

No pictures, just a brief description. Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere - meh, especially for 12 clams. Kozel dark - yum yum and cheap to boot. In the fridge but yet to try - Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A few had lately , and some loverly Seafood aswell hmmm .
The scollops where Devine . The beer wasn't too bad either :p

My local has hop hog on special for $14 a four pack. Happy days.

Sometime this week I'll be cracking:

Red duck gnaume.

Boon gueze

3 Fontainen Oude gueze golden blend.

Hopefully my face gets sucked inside out. If I enjoy these as much as the other sours I've had, then I'm going to have to brew one. Somehow haha

Cracked my first and, likely, last Westveleteren 12 tonight.

Pissing down and freezing here in England, but a roaring fire inside...perfect conditions.

Lots of dark/dried fruits in the aroma, along with a whiff of brandy-like spirit.

More brandy and maybe some woody bourbon flavours, mixed with toffee and dried fruits.

Very, very nice...however...I would rather have a Straffe Hendrik Quad or Rochefort 10 ahead of it, in that order.

The Hendrik was my favorite beer of my Belgium trip...imo, incredible!

mje1980 said:
Sometime this week I'll be cracking:
Red duck gnaume.
Boon gueze
3 Fontainen Oude gueze golden blend.
Hopefully my face gets sucked inside out. If I enjoy these as much as the other sours I've had, then I'm going to have to brew one. Somehow haha
Tried the boon gueze. Jesus it is intense. Very sour, and funky barnyard earthy type flavours. The other gueze has 25% 4 year old lambic, so I'm guessing it'll be even more sour. My face definately got sucked inside out haha

photo.JPG

To describe this beer, I have used the following video...

*Disclaimer - I have always heard this 'song' as a repetition of the word Yum. Ignore any references to the word 'meow.'

...and if you look closely, the panda is jealous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firestone Walker Wookey Jack. BOOM.

I have another one sitting at the back of the beer fridge. I think it will be saved for an occasion as this beer is like telling your boss what you think of them and getting a raise. Oh and your mouth tastes amazing!

Firestone Walker. **** Yeah :icon_drool2:

Will be hanging out at the brewery bar in a few weeks.

Just sayin'.

Danwood said:
Cracked my first and, likely, last Westveleteren 12 tonight.

Pissing down and freezing here in England, but a roaring fire inside...perfect conditions.

Lots of dark/dried fruits in the aroma, along with a whiff of brandy-like spirit.

More brandy and maybe some woody bourbon flavours, mixed with toffee and dried fruits.

Very, very nice...however...I would rather have a Straffe Hendrik Quad or Rochefort 10 ahead of it, in that order.

The Hendrik was my favorite beer of my Belgium trip...imo, incredible!
Oh yeah, well I have a Bitburger!

No, I am jealous.

bum said:
Gage Roads Abstinence Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale.

I saw the name of the beer and my review was immediately composed. Unfortunately it isn't god-awful so I can't use it.

That's not to say it is great, either. I'm not a big Belgian buff but it seems hotter than the style should be. There's a generic Belgian ester thing going on, couldn't say what type of esters but there's nothing specific a n00b like me can pick up - wouldn't say it seems especially fruity. Made with real chocolate, apparently. You can smell milk chocolate and taste it more and more as it gets warm. Dunno if it actually uses milk chocolate or not but the aroma doesn't seem to have any roastiness from grain. Gorgeous colour. Seems much thinner than other dubbels I've had in the past but it has more body than the average Gage Roads offering.

Might be a good "gateway" Belgian? Probably not one to impress those experienced in the style though.

Had this yesterday and really enjoyed it, but admit I'm no expert in taste testing of Belgians. But this is a definite substitute in winter for a hot chocolate I reckon!! Would buy again for $6.50 happily.

Back