Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
I almost feel bad posting this considering the first post in this thread, but in its honour I purchased a Rochefort 6. Cracked one tonight excited like a dog ready for it's first walk in weeks.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457085175.310656.jpg
Beautiful colour, but... I didn't really enjoy it. I'm sure it's a fine beer in it's class but it's quite unlike other Belgians I've had (La Guillotine a few nights ago was a cracker). For a 7.5% beer it was a bit bland, had crystal-heavy flavours going on (raisins, toffee etc.) but just didn't hit the spot for me. Oh well.
Get the 10 then tell me the same thing.

kalbarluke said:
I remember the first time I had an Alpha Pale Ale (many years ago). It was good. My first Fat Yak was also a pleasurable experience. Maybe it is my tastebuds and expectations that have changed and no Matilda Bay, but that Duck's beer is worse than the Monteiths range.
I've never been an MB fan but yeah alpha is probably the pick and yeah I reckon a few would agree the range has been dumbed down. The lazy yak or whatever it is is dreadful.

Nail Brewing red ale is easily one of my faves to keep on hand. Pours a ruby red, with a nice off white head. Up front it gives you a nice caramelly crystal malt backbone, rhen comes a perfectly balanced level of bitterness and a good whack of citra at the back of that. 35ibu might not sound like much to some, but its all about balance with this beer not an in your face astringent aggressively bittered ipa

IMG_20160305_144730.JPG

:icon_offtopic: "redback " brewing when it was in Nth Melbourne..

Currently drinking Napoleone Brewing range of Beers(won @ beerfest)

technobabble66 said:
I had the La Sirène Praline last week. Wouldn't bother.
Nice porter with cacao nibs and vanilla thrown into it. Nice enough if you're into that sort of adulterated thing, but totally not worth the price tag. Many, many better Belgians for that sort of cash.
Drinking this ATM. I like it. Maybe because it follows this evenings flight.

A couple of my own smoked ESBs, a very early force-carbed (large) sample of a Gladfield Manuka smoked Stout (which will have fresh roasted cocoa nibs added to the keg, I decided after having this sample).
Very smooth chocolate flavour, but not OTT. A little more roast bite would be nice, and maybe a few more IBUs.
I'd like to try the Imperial version...should've bought both at the same time at Purvis....but that's a ~$50 2 pack...sheesh !

Champagne tastes on a Carlton Dry budget...FML.

image.jpg

Never tried this fella. I happen to know that 'Manticle' fella is a fan, I believe...he drank them like they were going out of fashion (Vitalstatistix may have been paying ??) after George Theodoridis's beer taint class at Eureka Belgian beer cafe.

Very, very nice...but what's with the intensely metallic/coppery initial taste (especially tasted through the thick head straight after pouring) ?

image.jpg

Never had the metallic taint on that one but yes I am a fan.
Drinking them like they're not going to be in vogue much longer requires an enormous liver.

Drinking a Chimay Grand Reserve, or as the Belgians say "Grande Reserve"
Damn fine.
Strong aroma of caramel and raisins ( :ph34r: :lol: ). Very Heady!! Very smooth. Deep complex malt flavour. Tastes/smells similar to either a caramelised reduction &/or late EKG (from other ESBs i've done) - that's a guess tho, or rather a comparison. Tiniest roast element as it warms up.
Belgian awesomeness.

Yeah, on that St Bernardus, I definately get a thin, metallic first impression I don't much like...dunno.

And then...Urbock. Faark....fantastic beer !

image.jpg

Yes, got the glass and a couple of bottles at the same time in Bruges a couple of years ago.

I liked it but would go for Rochefort 10 or a Straffe Hendrik Quad if I had the choice, especially if I was paying !

Love a good Rauch, bacon in a glass !

I have a Schlenkerla Eiche in the fridge too. That one is with oak and not beech, unlike like most Bamberg smoked beers.

It's also fantastic.

Went to the Grain Store in Newcastle for lunch yesterday.

Started with the Grain Fed Brewery - Sneaky One, then had Akasha Brewing Fire WIthin Amber, not a fan of caraaroma....

Then went with HOPE estate Black IPA on NITRO :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: creamy, excellent hop aroma, yummy beer!!

WP_20160306_004.jpg

WP_20160306_005.jpg

image.jpeg

Had this last night, was a nice stout with a sneaky 9.0% abv which couldn't be tasted. Was hoping for a little more cherry to come through.

Bench mark was set by the black cherry mild which we tried at the great British beer festival.
http://www.kissingate.co.uk/beers.html

Nice but not quite what I was after.

image.jpeg

Tonight's banquet,
Picked these up from a job I was at today, I'm pretty excited as there's nothing special available locally for me.
Looking at the Alc Vol's I'm glad I didn't start on these on the drive home. In the background is my new Urn/HLT that I scored for $30 off eBay, Happy Days.

...Dana & Waimea are finished already, Very Nice :)

^^^ with that haul, and the recently published brew dog recipes you might well be set for a fair few brews in the coming weeks

And if your waving that knife around Benn I'm not going to argue with you.

Latest posts

Back