Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BottloBill said:
Kozel premium
Czech Pils 4.8%
Classic Noble spice
Uncle Dan's @ $4.30 per 500ml
What did you reckon of this? I've had one and would never buy again.

warra48 said:
Was at a wedding in Mosman, Sydney yesterday.
The ceremony was outside on the harbour foreshore at Beauty Point.
Afterwards, we traipsed across to Zest at the 16ft sailing club for the reception and dinner.

Imagine my surprise when I found they had original Czech Budvar on tap. Oh yeah, guess who was a happy chappy last night?
Lucky bar steward. Haven't had it on tap for probably a decade or more.

Beer deluxe had it on tap for a good whack of time too. This is a few years ago and from memory they followed it with weihenstephaner pils which I prefer (less corn). Not sure if maybe they rotate.

Also the old koliba, now heart of europe and also the Crimean on peel st, north melbourne, near vic market.

Been a while since I was at any of them so don't travel miles based solely on my recommendation.
Koliba used to have draught kruscovice too which was great. Some brewery takeover somewhere or somesuch stopped that.

TheWiggman said:
What did you reckon of this? I've had one and would never buy again.
Brought 2 bottles, the first had me pushing it away after every chug. The following night it was a chaser drink after trying a Cricketers arms keepers lager and it somewhat tasted tenfold better after the keepers. Would I buy it again.....No, but if you handed it to me, I would drink it on appreciation of gesture.

n148rn.jpg

Deschutes Brewery got from HopHeads Point Cook
Nice beer Citra/Mosiac

View attachment 87125

Founders Dark Penance BIIPA

Started at fridge temp and all I got was overwhelming bitterness (all 100 ibu's)

As it started to warm it was far more balanced. Beautiful light roasty, malty, hoppy, bitter/sweet fun juice. 'Twas a delightful sip.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456312051.005066.jpg

Founders Dark Penance BIIPA

Started at fridge temp and all I got was overwhelming bitterness (all 100 ibu's)

As it started to warm it was far more balanced. Beautiful light roasty, malty, hoppy, bitter/sweet fun juice. 'Twas a delightful sip.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456480644.777901.jpg

Holidaying on South Coast and got a chance for another session at HopDog. Never really had a 'session' IPA that hit the mark, but this is a cracker. Single hopped with Mosaic, about 40 IBU's according to Tim (the brewer) when we chatted with him. Enough malt to carry the hops and all at only 3.5%. Great beer!

^ ^ I picked up 4 of those in January and all of them were infected. .

The superbeast black barleywine was fkn awesome which made up for it so I didn't complain.

found a few pics on the mobile that were due to be uploaded.

Mornington Peninsula Brewery - Imperial Amber

Very tasty beer, i liked this one.

Imp Amber Ale.jpg

Hahn - Ultra 1% beer - full flavoured - well as full flavoured as a lager can get without hops or alcohol.

hahn ultra 1%.jpg

Bridge Roads - Robust Porter

A good chocolate note, not overly roasty, clean malty black beer.

Bridge Road Porter.jpg

Currently drinking 'the Ducks' Australian pale ale from Matilda Bay.

Shite. Don't waste your time. Matilda Bay used to be decent but are just so crap now. Disappointing in every way.

Picked this one up at Plonk in Canberra (as well as some others). Never had a milk stout before and I love my stouts -
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456987207.231703.jpg
At 6% it doesn't seem too groggy but easy to drink. Roasty, hints of coffee and choc and ever so sweet in the finish. Quite similar to an Abbotsford Invalid actually. Would drink again.

manticle said:
I remember the first time I had an Alpha Pale Ale (many years ago). It was good. My first Fat Yak was also a pleasurable experience. Maybe it is my tastebuds and expectations that have changed and no Matilda Bay, but that Duck's beer is worse than the Monteiths range.

I almost feel bad posting this considering the first post in this thread, but in its honour I purchased a Rochefort 6. Cracked one tonight excited like a dog ready for it's first walk in weeks.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457085175.310656.jpg
Beautiful colour, but... I didn't really enjoy it. I'm sure it's a fine beer in it's class but it's quite unlike other Belgians I've had (La Guillotine a few nights ago was a cracker). For a 7.5% beer it was a bit bland, had crystal-heavy flavours going on (raisins, toffee etc.) but just didn't hit the spot for me. Oh well.

^^ "...raisins, toffee..." Wtf are you looking for?! That's the shizzle right there! Man, some people are hard to please! [emoji57]

On the topic of Belgians (sort of) I had the La Sirène Praline last week. Wouldn't bother.
Nice porter with cacao nibs and vanilla thrown into it. Nice enough if you're into that sort of adulterated thing, but totally not worth the price tag. Many, many better Belgians for that sort of cash.

Latest posts

Back