Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slcmorro said:
Had this. The kind owner of Red Duck in Ballarat where I live (where this was brewed!) donated me a bottle. Good lad, Chris is. I loved this beer.
I thought Daintons were from Shepparton?

Spiesy said:
I thought Daintons were from Shepparton?
They used Red Duck as a contract brewhouse for this beer. Not sure if they have their own brewing equipment. Check out a bottle of Grandpappy's Whip if you get a chance. Says brewed at Red Duck Brewery or brewed at 11a Michaels Drive Alfredton, AKA Red Duck Brewery. Can't remember precisely which.

Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale from Dans $15.49 six pack. Did not get the citrus hop flavour but there is some aroma and quite pronounced hop flavour. Overall quite a tasty drop for the price will look out for this one again. :kooi: The IPA is not bad either but I prefer the Pale

Took a trip down to Beechworth today and checked out Bridge Road brewery. Got myself an 8 glass tasting paddle (90ml each) and was certainly full by the time I left.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750436.407769.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750470.319249.jpg

Above is the 'Aurora Borealis II' and RIS. The Aurora was a completely different beer which apparently started as a Tripel in Norway and is carted via casks, funk added and treated interestingly in general. Check out their web site. Was very very fruity, slightly sour and quite thick. At $15 a stubbie, not something I'd rush out and buy but interesting nonetheless.
The RIS is everything it should have been. Smelled great, tasted alcoholic and was loaded with roasty goodness. Again though, not cheap.
Pales seemed dominated by galaxy. Very hoppy and well brewed in my opinion but the hops didn't suit my palate. 100% IPA tasted like grass. The chestnut pilsner on the other hand was a standout and the subtle chestnut flavour worked perfectly.
It's a good setup there and at $12 for the paddle, is something I would definitely return to for their seasonal beers. I like their approach to brewing. Especially when this is the veiw from my seat as I enjoyed their range -
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750929.359831.jpg

Sheaf stout, wanted a co2 based dry stout for comparing it to my stout in the fermenter. The local guiness bottled stout was crap, utter utter crap. This is much much better.

Pretty close to mine actually!

image.jpg

TheWiggman said:
Took a trip down to Beechworth today and checked out Bridge Road brewery. Got myself an 8 glass tasting paddle (90ml each) and was certainly full by the time I left.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750436.407769.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750470.319249.jpg

Above is the 'Aurora Borealis II' and RIS. The Aurora was a completely different beer which apparently started as a Tripel in Norway and is carted via casks, funk added and treated interestingly in general. Check out their web site. Was very very fruity, slightly sour and quite thick. At $15 a stubbie, not something I'd rush out and buy but interesting nonetheless.
The RIS is everything it should have been. Smelled great, tasted alcoholic and was loaded with roasty goodness. Again though, not cheap.
Pales seemed dominated by galaxy. Very hoppy and well brewed in my opinion but the hops didn't suit my palate. 100% IPA tasted like grass. The chestnut pilsner on the other hand was a standout and the subtle chestnut flavour worked perfectly.
It's a good setup there and at $12 for the paddle, is something I would definitely return to for their seasonal beers. I like their approach to brewing. Especially when this is the veiw from my seat as I enjoyed their range -
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428750929.359831.jpg
Definitely a great brewery, Wigg, I agree. We were there Friday for lunch and a few pints.

Celtic Red on handpump was great, as was the Bling IPA.

And Bright Brewery the day before. Standout there was the M.I.A. IPA....huge, juicy hops everywhere.

Great looking region at this time of year too, with all the Autumn colours.

Trestles India Pale Ale brewed by Left Coast brewing Co, California - Got it at Uncle Dan's, Port Mac. (not my pic)

Left_Coast_Trestles_IPA.png

Not a bad IPA, similarish to Ballast Point. Slight metallic twang to the bitterness. Solid

Hit deja vu (melbs) this arvo for a taste bonanza.

1429087244444.jpg

Boatrocker Miss Pinky: Raspberry Berliner Weisse. Didn't rate it high... Big raspberry up front but that's about it. Took a while for the sour bite to come through. Lacked body and oomph.

Wolf of the Willows XPA... Remind me what an XPA is meant to be? This was okay... Big bitter kick and lots of citrusy flavour but was again let down by a lack of body. Would be great on a hot day (alas, it was not).

Kaiju Hopped Out Red: The arvos favorite by far! Massively hoppy, big malt backbone, beautiful deep red/brown color. Could go another one. (I didn't).

Holgate farmhouse ale: A nice saison... Wish I could say more about it. Certainly one I would want again, but only on a Wednesday special.

That was it, only there for an hour! :D

Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale now available in 30 packs cans from Dan's found these a few weeks ago in bottles and was very pleasantly surprised it has a beautiful hop hit and flavour but only declared 25 IBU. Generously hopped with Amarillo and Nelsen Sauvin. I find it nearly as good as some of the Australian IPAs in Dan's the only trouble is they don't last long in the fridge very hard to stop after one.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_840686/cricketers-arms-spearhead-pale-ale-cans

Back